AH Challenge: Another Anglophone Commonwealth Nation

Apart from Britain there are (or were) five major English speaking Commonwealth nations which were settled by people from Britain or Europe.

The Dominion of Canada
The Dominion of Newfoundland
The Dominion of New Zealand
The Commonwealth of Australia
The Union of South Africa

Your challenge, should you decide to accept it, is to create a sixth such nation.

The rules are:

1: It cannot be part of one of the nations listed above - so Tasmania cannot be the Newfoundland of Australia.

2: The new country must have been formed in the same way as the others - settled before 1900 by immigrants from Britain and Europe.

3: It must be a "viable" nation - not just a small island with a population of a few thousand expats.

Finally two nations are inelegible for consideration - Rhodesia - which could technically be counted among the original five but hasn't survived to the prsent day and - America - so no failed American Revolution - you can however use parts of America, so a Commonwealth of New England or a Dominion of Michigan would be allowable.

How About A Dominion of Patagonia? Would probably be Anglo/Welsh speaking. POD would be at about Napoleonic times, I'm not an expert on what would trigger the change....

Jasen777

Donor
and - America - so no failed American Revolution - you can however use parts of America, so a Commonwealth of New England or a Dominion of Michigan would be allowable.

If there's no revolution, isn't it extremely likely that what OTL is the U.S. will be broken up into pieces of some kind? Settlement patterns might change alot of course, but British settlement to the Mississippi seems fairly inevitable, plenty of room to carve dominions out of - perhaps a Dominion of Ohio consisting of the Northwest Territory?

How About A Dominion of Patagonia? Would probably be Anglo/Welsh speaking. POD would be at about Napoleonic times, I'm not an expert on what would trigger the change....

A Dominion of Argentina is the only one i can think of, Britain invades and takes Argentina during the Napoleonic Wars. Britons and other Europeans settle their with their also being a large Spanish speaking minority.

I expect its been discussed a few times on this board, There's also this http://www.britishargentina.com

Thande

Donor
A small part of India with an Anglophone majority (in a TL with more localised British immigration to India), like the environs of Madras or Calcutta perhaps? Especially if either of those stayed the capital instead of it being moved to Delhi.

Or perhaps an enlarged Hong Kong? Not sure if it would qualify, though, as English probably wouldn't be the majority language...

I agree with 67th -- West Indies seems possible without too much trouble. I guess it depends on your definition of "major".

The other problem, of course, is that Europe, Africa, and Asia are all already full of non-english speakers, and Australia and North America are already full of Dominions (and the States, which was disallowed). So South America is pretty much it.

How about a British California? I am not certain how to get that, a British-Spanish or a British-Mexican war perhaps.

OK I'm having some difficulty understanding how this works.
  • It's not that English has to be the main language, because it isn't in South Africa (Zulu, Xhosa and Afrikaans are all more common).
  • It's not that British Settlers have to be the majority population because again SA isn't majority white.
  • It's not that they were dominions before full independence because Ireland, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka also were.

Anyway assuming it's some vague combination of factors making the country culturally 'British'.

Nigeria, Kenya, Namibia, Egypt, India, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Hong Kong might all be possibilities.

Also, how about Cyprus?

Ireland really is the obvious and easy answer.
Don't have the IRA start up their mischief and independance happens peacefully. They remain a dominion.

Even IOTL they're the most culturally British of the Anglophone nations (apart from Britain obviously, duh).

For an alternative one just to make something cool though- Sierra Leone. It was a British settler colony after all.
True you would ideally have to go a long way back thus maybe butterflying this whole dominion thing but I guess there could be a way to have it take off in the 20th century.

Or for a harder, more obscure one: the Levant (i.e. Israel).
The early support for Zionism was in Britain after all and perhaps some major official support could go their way with the Suez thrown in with this dominion rather then letting it fall to a Egypt which is moving away.

Last edited:
Or for a harder, more obscure one: the Levant (i.e. Israel).
The early support for Zionism was in Britain after all and perhaps some major official support could go their way with the Suez thrown in with this dominion rather then letting it fall to a Egypt which is moving away.

Hmm, British monarch being King/Queen of Jerusalem... :p

I think Richard I of England just gave a thumbs-up... :D