As Dreamers Do Part Deux

Entertainment News for Late September 2006

According to the Nielsen ratings, the New Orleans Saints' return to the Superdome on ABC's Monday Night Football put all other networks to shame on September 25. The only other game to rate as highly so far this NFL season was the overtime quarterback duel between Tom Brady's Las Vegas Raiders and Kurt Warner's Arizona Cardinals, which aired on September 7 on Fox.
- Variety
Wow....
With King Features partnering with Peacock and Turner for the long-term, there is growing pressure on both Disney and CBS to stick together on the DCMCU [1] which launched with Batman/TMNT last Christmas. Installments originally slated for animation could instead switch to live action should the Peacock/Turner co-production of Popeye prove successful on its May 2008 release.
- Wizard

[1] DCMCU stands for DC + Marvel Crossover Universe
Well, I'd prefer to keep them animated and, ya'know, not try to copy everyone else only for it to backfire......
Fox's Kingdom Hearts and ABC's Hannah Montana tied for first place in this season's Saturday Morning race. Tied for third are Arthur, the American version of BBC's Tracy Beaker and the He-Man revival, each on UPN, along with NBC's Big Nate revival.
- TV Guide
1: Of course those are gonna be tied...
2: Not my personal bias or anything, but I hope Tracy Beaker wins. speaking of which, what's the difference between the original British version and the American version of the show?
3: I also hope He-Man and Big Nate can win as well.
After a few false starts, New Line and Paramount could each collaborate on a Friday the 13th remake slated for either 2008 or '09. In 1990, New Line had acquired the Jason Voorhees franchise from Paramount after the first eight installments.
- The Hollywood Reporter
Ok. Nice!
Lionsgate, Peacock, Paramount, Henson and CBS each place bids for the North American rights to the Smurfs, which reverted back to the estate of Pierre Culliford five years after the Hanna-Barbera series ended production.
- G4's Attack of the Show
I'd give it to either Paramount or Turner.
The Sports Page
Bob Ley on ESPN's Outside the Lines:
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch leaked several registrations with the US Patent and Trademark Office on possible new rebrands for the lame duck Jacksonville Jaguars, who intend to move to St. Louis for the 2007 season.
Among the possible nicknames
St. Louis Explorers: A reference to Lewis and Clark.
St. Louis Gatekeepers: New owner Stan Kroenke's preferred choice of "Archers" was already trademarked by St. Louis Community College.
St. Louis Gunners: A tribute to a short-lived NFL team from the 1930's.
St. Louis Showboats: ITTL, Memphis's USFL/WLAF team is instead called the Pharaohs.
St. Louis Sorcerers: A loose reference to Disney's presence in the area with the newly rebuilt Riverfront Square.
Ok.
Here's the poll if you want to vote.
https://forms.gle/Ai9pYCiwrUCBgG5P9
I wonder who will get the Smurfs
I voted for Turner.
Given Hurricane Katrina, this bit of news is perfect for the Saints.

While this may butterfly the MCU as we know it IOTL, this could also make DC Comics more well-known at the same time, so it's an equal result.

I consider this a win for Kingdom Hearts, especially with it airing alongside three big anime dubs from Fox AND with KH2 having a Urusei Yatsura-based world in it.
Yep! And I actually suggested Sgt. Frog and Hikaru No Go!
Meanwhile, I like that UPN has the most victories this year, which they kind of needed as far as television is concerned around this time.
Yep! Hopefully Tracy Beaker becomes successful enough for Paramount and the BBC to make more stuff together.....
Yes. Just yes.

I'd give it to Henson, who owns the HB adaptation outright.

I knew I was going to vote for the St. Louis Sorcerers as soon as I read why it's up there. Plus, it's a new alliteration to replace the old one.
Ok. And I kinda figured that you'd say that @TheFaultsofAlts.
My motivation for having the King Features/Peacock venture prompt a shift in DC and Marvel's respective strategies is that I didn't want to completely butterfly Robert Downey, Jr.'s portrayal of Iron Man since IOTL just the first film made him a bigger star than he was before. Plus, it also represented him cleaning up and earning the forgiveness of the public after he was fired from Ally McBeal. Since ITTL, Iron Man will likely be in a crossover with Cyborg, I might pair RDJ with either Kenan Thompson or Donald Glover or even Chadwick Boseman.
Well, alright.....

Since that's your reasoning, then maybe at least do this:
Make each other film animated and live-action.

You can have one film be live-action, while having the other one be animated, and repeat the process. And if they wanna try it out, then perhaps they could do a live-action/animated hybrid film.....
At first, the people at Disney were hesitant about having more than one Sora model sheet for the series. In the games, of course, his appearance changes with each realm he travels to with Donald and Goofy tagging along. Sir Daniel now has more leverage to convince the studio to let his wife's company pitch in on the costs of having multiple Sora model sheets, which he did. So, Kingdom Hearts: The Series is technically a co-production between Disney, Square Enix and Legendary.
Cool!

Can we see Disney make a deal with Square Enix to make another game franchise together and make adaptations based off Square Enix's properties?
Here's the poll for the Jaguars' rebrand for their move to St. Louis.
https://forms.gle/xmHX6TnbkRJXZCMQ7
Ok......
MST3k still aired on Comedy Central throughout the 90's. However, Bally does not own the franchise. Joel Hodgson bought the rights back from them in 1997 and has since licensed the series to B-Kind, which is Limited Run's archrival based in Minneapolis.
Cool!
This gave me an idea: What if B-Kind gave Joel the money to riff on Limited Run's movies?
I'd like to see that.
That could be an early start or Rifftrax actually. In fact, either Limited Run or B-Kind could eventually offer original content.
And that would actually be a awesome idea!
B-Kind can concentrate on B-movies and whatnot while Limited Run's emphasis can be on reissues of Hollywood blockbusters if that helps distinguish the two.
You know, that's great! And can their eventually be a TV series and/or anime/animation equivalent of Limited Run?
Entertainment News for Early October 2006

Hey there, it's "Rogie" Bear? Touchstone Pictures is supposedly planning a live action/CGI hybrid Yogi Bear movie with hopes of convincing Seth Rogen to voice the titular role.
- Access Hollywood

James Cameron of New Line and Rob Reiner of Paramount each co-sign the dotted line, paving the way for the proposed Friday the 13th remake and a possible sequel to 2003's Freddy vs. Jason crossover.
- E! News

Bally's Worlds of Wonder set to undergo more than $85 million USD in renovations as the park's license for select properties owned by Golden Harvest of America expires on January 1, 2010, after which Golden Harvest and its twin studio New Line Cinema will each partner with Peacock Parks.
- The Las Vegas Review Journal

Bally enters negotiations with Tokyo lawmakers as they look to open a Japanese Worlds of Wonder as early as 2011.
- NHK
They're already thinking about a Japanese expansion?

And Saban's moving to Peacock Parks? Ok.

Other than that, the rest is alright.
The Sports Page
Nickelodeon's NFL Slimetime kicks off to positive reviews. The launch comes as Saints special teamer Steve Gleason was given a green slime shower after being named MVP of the Saints' Monday Night victory over the Falcons on September 25.
- ESPN
That's awesome!
Could the Virginia Rhinos be sold? When the erstwhile Whalers moved from Hartford in 1997, the team was supposed to only play temporarily at the Scope in Norfolk while a newer arena could be built to NHL standards. Since then, the proposed arena was never built due to backlash from environmental groups over the arena being planned for wetlands protected by the state government. On the ice, the Rhinos hoped they could draw crowds throughout the state, only to see said fans flock to DC to see a young Alex Ovechkin instead. What lies ahead for the troubled Rhinos? Their lease with the Scope was supposed to run for only three years while they waited for an arena that never came. Now, the Rhinos are in a year-to-year situation while they try to make things work in a cramped market. Off the ice, general partner Peter Karmanos has been in and out of court battling his co-owners over the direction of the franchise. Could a buyer be found to keep the Rhinos in Virginia? That remains to be seen. Meanwhile, there's talk of the club being sold to an out-of-towner like Tom Benson (New Orleans), Mark Cuban (Dallas), Mark Chipman (Winnipeg), Jim Irsay (Indianapolis), Clark Hunt (Kansas City), Merritt Paulson (Portland), Larry H. Miller (Salt Lake) or Jerry Colangelo (Phoenix).
- The Hockey News
Ok.....
The 2006 World Series could be the last carried by Fox (Disney) for a while if CBS (CBS Discovery), NBC (Peacock), UPN (Microsoft), SBC (Saban) or ABC (Henson) can outbid Fox for their portion of the MLB TV contract, which also includes the All-Star Game and Saturday afternoon national telecasts. Meanwhile, MLB is reviewing cable bids from FX (Disney), ESPN (Henson), WB Sports (TimeWarner; formerly Warner Golf), Turner Sports (Turner), USA Network (Peacock), Odyssey (Microsoft) and The Hub (Bally). Currently, ESPN holds the rights to the Sunday and Wednesday night national telecasts. Should Fox and ESPN fail to extend their current deals, MLB's new TV partners will alternate coverage of the National and American League Championship series, taking turns in odd and even years.
- ESPN
Well, Odyssey needs ANYTHING at this point so I guess I'd give it a chance
Slimetime a decade and a half early?
Nice!
I'm completely on board for NFL Slimetime much sooner. Maybe the Muppets can guest host an episode?
Of course they should host some episodes.
Bally can now replace the outgoing Saban rides with Namco and Dark Horse attractions.
Can Bally just buy Dark Horse outright?

And that's sad considering how I wanted Turner to make a deal with Dark Horse.....
Golden Harvest and New Line were owned by separate entities when they licensed their properties to Bally and Paramount respectively. Saban wanted to consolidate because Universal offered double the money that Paramount was paying New Line.
Ok, good explanation.
@Goldwind2

What Bally could do is if they can get Lionsgate on board, they could easily retheme their Power Rangers rides into Voltron.
Great thinking!
marcel-dionne-of-the-los-angeles-kings-skates-on-the-ice-during-an-picture-id133705384

SBC's first Wednesday Night Hockey telecast of 2006-07 begins with archive footage from the October 8, 1980, Kings/Rangers matchup

Rooftop-New-Yorker-Hotel-View-of-Midtown-Joe-Kinney-Tour-of-the-Secrets-of-New-Yorker-Untapped-Cities-NYC-1.jpg

MUSIC: David Shire's "Manhattan Skyline" plays over an exterior shot of Madison Square Garden at night.

Voiceover by Jim Gordon, on loan from the MSG channel: "The Standard Broadcasting Company is proud to present the premiere telecast of NHL Wednesday Night Hockey!"

Cross dissolve to an interior shot of the ice rink as both teams finish warmups. A graphic of the team logos is soon superimposed over the same shot.

Jim Gordon (VO): "Tonight from Madison Square Garden, it's the Los Angeles Kings versus the New York Rangers. Tonight's game is brought to you by Budweiser: Hockey fans, this Bud's for you; By Allstate Insurance Companies: You're in good hands with Allstate and by Sears: Collect official merchandise of your favorite NHL team exclusively at Sears locations nationwide!"

Announcers' on-camera intro:

Jim Gordon: "Good evening, everyone, I'm Jim Gordon along with Bill Chadwick. Welcome to what promises to be a weekly showcase of the best of the National Hockey League..."

Later in the game:

Jim Gordon (VO): "This telecast is copyrighted by the National Hockey League, which has the right of approval of the announcers, and is intended solely for the non-commercial, private use of our audience. All rights to this telecast are reserved and any publication, retransmission or other use of the descriptions and accounts of this game without the express written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited."

*The ref gives Marcel Dionne the signal to attempt the penalty shot*

Gordon (VO): "Here comes Dionne with a chance to tie the game with a penalty shot...Saved by Davidson and the game is over!"

*Buzzer sounds and the teams skate to their locker rooms*

Gordon (VO): "The Rangers, before our national television audience, hold on to defeat the Kings 3 to 2!!!"

sddefault.jpg

*Fade to black*

Mike Emrick (VO): "Thanks to you the fans, the classic theme is back by popular demand!"

*Manhattan Skyline starts back up over modern-day graphics*

2154_Rexall_Place_Edmonton_Alberta_Canada_07A.jpg

*Cross dissolve to present-day Edmonton, outside Rexall Place as the theme continues*

Mike Emrick (VO): "This was the scene moments ago when the Oilers unveiled their 2006 Stanley Cup Championship banner..."​
Nice that a old theme returns.
How are ratings for the SatAM blocks?
Yeah, how are the ratings?

And I hope SNL comes back better!
1200x675.jpg

Treehouse of Horror XVII
First aired on Fox on October 5, 2006

This year's Amusing Tombstones: The Weinstein Administration, The Jacksonville Jaguars, MyNetworkTV, The Virginia Rhinos, Saturday Night Live, KMFDM

Notes
On October 8 during halftime of Fox's Sunday Night game between the Los Angeles Rams and Las Vegas Raiders, aka Brady vs. Belichick, viewers got to see an early teaser for The Simpsons Movie, which comes out in the summer of 2007.​
1: Bye Bye MyNetworkTV, I don't think you'll really be missed...Speaking of MNTV, is there a chance that TimeWarner may launch more cable channels?
2: Cool! Can't wait to see how The Simpsons Movie.
SatAM top ten for October 2006
Tied for 1st) Kingdom Hearts: The Series (Fox)
Tied for 1st) Hannah Montana (ABC)
3) He-Man 2006 version (UPN)
4) Big Nate 2006 version (NBC)
5) Arthur (UPN)
6) Tracy Beaker (UPN)
7) TMNT 2003 version (Fox)
8) Teen Titans (CBS)
9) Casper and Molly McGee (Fox)
10) Jet Set Radio (UPN)
1: I'd choose neither of the first two because they will wind up on cable, literally the Friday or so after their Saturday Morning airing....And how is Nickelodeon and Disney Channel's live-action situation going since we took some of their most famous live-action shows from their?
2: Cool for He-Man and Big Nate, but I'll probably catch Big Nate on the USA Cartoon Express channel, speaking of which, I have some things to say about that channel....
3: Good to see Arthur still strong after 10 years, just like IOTL!
4: As a fan of the Tracy Beaker television series, this makes me so happy!
5: Good to see TMNT, Teen Titans and Casper & Molly still going strong!
6: Nice to see Jet Set Radio be a hit!
7: What happened to Pokemon? That's a question I meant to ask in LAST YEAR'S SATAM REVIEW........Has the show moved exclusively to cable?
Good for Molly and Casper! Shame Woody's missing out. UPN has the most top shows, with Fox close behind!
Yeah......

And in the case of UPN, that's a good thing,,,
Actually, since Columbine, it's been almost impossible for KMFDM to play a gig in Denver since no venue has been willing to book them. Because of that, they haven't toured much in North America since 1999, mainly avoiding Middle America and the Bible Belt and sticking to more progressive or liberal cities like LA, Berkeley, Austin, Portland and so forth.
Oof.....

They must got it bad, but KMFDM didn't have anything to do with it besides the fact that the boys were merely fans of them..........
Right. Saturday mornings are still doing okay for Fox.

But in other areas, Fox has struggled in recent years. For instance, NBC and CBS have each been eating Fox's lunch with sports.
So in other words, Fox's not doing too well right now outside of Fox Kids?

Last edited:
What are the next animated films to be released here?

Has

I hope we get more 2d aniamtied . 3d flims that remonce for being turned 2d include bolt and cloudly with a chance of meatballs

Disney:
Bonkers 2 (2006; Disney/Amblin/Richard Williams)
Meet the Robinsons (2007; Walt Disney Classic Animation)
TMNT (2007; Blue Sky)
The Simpsons Movie (2007; TCF Animation)
Team Atlantis (2008; Walt Disney Classic Animation)
The Princess and the Frog (2009; Walt Disney Classic Animation)
Usagi Yojimbo (TBD)
Gigantic (TBD)

Pixar:
Ratatouille (2007)
Wall-E (2008)
Up (2009)

Peacock
Wicked (2006; Universal)
Shrek the Third (2007; PDI Dreamworks)
Bee Movie (2007; PDI Dreamworks)
Kung Fu Panda (2008; TBD)
Madagascar 2 (2008; PDI Dreamworks)
Monsters vs. Aliens (2009; PDI Dreamworks)
Megamind (2010; PDI Dreamworks)
Despicable Me (2010; Universal or PDI Dreamworks)
How to Train Your Dragon (TBD)

Columbia-TriStar
Stuart Little 3 (2007; CGI/Live action hybrid)
Animal Crossing movie (2007; Nelvana)
Strange Magic (2008; Screen Gems/Amblin)
Super Smash Bros. (TBD; Nelvana)

Paramount
Flushed Away (2006; Aardman)
Untitled Arthur sequel (TBD)

Warner Bros.
Happy Feet (2006; Imagi)

Touchstone
Tales from Earthsea (2006; Ghibli)

TBD
Horton Hears a Who (Likely a Turner/Peacock co-production?)
Untitled third Garfield movie (Luxor)
Untitled second Spongebob movie (Turner)
Untitled Voltron movie (Lionsgate)
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Likely to stay at Columbia-TriStar)
Over the Hedge (Likely to stay with Peacock)
Big Nate's Big Screen Adventure (Likely to be the first Universal-RKO dual branded release)
Coraline (Laika; Distributor to be determined by vote)
Monster House (Likely to stay with Columbia-TriStar unless you guys want someone else to do it)
Open Season (TBD)

Disney:
TMNT (2007; Blue Sky)
Usagi Yojimbo (TBD)
Gigantic (TBD)
With how stacked 2007 is for animation, let's have Usagi and Gigantic both release in 2010.
Pixar:
Ratatouille (2007)
Wall-E (2008)
Up (2009)
But what about Toy Story 3? Or some other movie that gets released from Pixar in 2010?
Peacock
Wicked (2006; Universal)
I'd release Kung Fu Panda through Dreamworks, while Despicable Me gets released through Universal itself.

I'd also bring How to Train Your Dragon up as another Dreamworks film as per OTL.
Columbia-TriStar
Nice that Stuart Little 3 is a thing, and Strange Magic under Screen Gems has to be better than its fate under Touchstone.

Also, to the reveal of a Smash Bros. movie, I can only say...

YES! THANK YOU!
Paramount
Let's give 2008 the Arthur sequel, or a year after that. Also, could Chicken Run 2 be released through Paramount ITTL?
Warner Bros.
Happy Feet (2006; Imagi)
That's all? Man, I thought there would be more.
Touchstone
On the bright side, Henson also has Pixar to fall back on for animated features.
TBD
Considering that Turner owns the 1970 short, and Peacock still has its theme park deal with Dr. Seuss Enterprises, this movie could be a good look into how well the two can cooperate before the Defenders of the Earth Cinematic Universe.
I didn't know there would even be a third Garfield movie. Nevertheless, I hope this film gets cameos from the U.S. Acres cast.
Yes!
That would be great!
Good. They need the IPs.
If this becomes successful, can we get a series from RKO that adds more elements from the comic? It worked for Big Nate.
Big Nate's Big Screen Adventure (Likely to be the first Universal-RKO dual branded release)
Not a bad idea, but could it be released in 2011? As it is, Peacock is swamped with animated releases for the rest of the decade.
Perhaps WB can distribute the Laika films? One, they need more properties of the animated sort. Two, Universal already has a lot of distribution credits for animation fans. Three, compared to The Nightmare Before Christmas at Disney/Fox and Chicken Run at Paramount, Warner Bros. would really want a slice of the stop motion pie.
Monster House (Likely to stay with Columbia-TriStar unless you guys want someone else to do it)
Personally, it's fine by me. Just as long as the film gets adapted into DC Strange Adventures canon or something like that.
Open Season (TBD)
Maybe Turner can release Open Season? I mean, assuming that Cow and Chicken is a Turner IP, of course. If it's a Nicktoon, then Touchstone can release it.

Disney:
TMNT (2007; Blue Sky)
Usagi Yojimbo (TBD)
Gigantic (TBD)

Pixar:
Ratatouille (2007)
Wall-E (2008)
Up (2009)

Peacock
Wicked (2006; Universal)

Columbia-TriStar

Paramount

Warner Bros.
Happy Feet (2006; Imagi)

Touchstone

TBD
Open Season (TBD)
Open season I would make a Pixar movie and distributed by Touchstone pictures if it’s still around and coralline I would have 20th century fox handle distribution

Disney:
TMNT (2007; Blue Sky)
Usagi Yojimbo (TBD)
Gigantic (TBD)

Pixar:
Ratatouille (2007)
Wall-E (2008)
Up (2009)

Peacock
Wicked (2006; Universal)

Columbia-TriStar

Paramount

Warner Bros.
Happy Feet (2006; Imagi)

Touchstone

TBD
Open Season (TBD)
Do you think we'd get that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang animated remake here? Just trying to think what studio could take it on.

Do you think we'd get that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang animated remake here? Just trying to think what studio could take it on.
I was thinking that the Chitty remake would be on Peacock's pipeline. Which title on Peacock's list do you think I should butterfly or give to someone else in order to squeeze Chitty in?

I was thinking that the Chitty remake would be on Peacock's pipeline. Which title on Peacock's list do you think I should butterfly or give to someone else in order to squeeze Chitty in?
Doesn't Turner own the original Chitty? If so, couldn't it be in that studio's pipeline instead?

Open season I would make a Pixar movie and distributed by Touchstone pictures if it’s still around and coralline I would have 20th century fox handle distribution
Eh, I would rather still see Open Season be made a Columbia-TriStar (Screen Gems or Nelvana?) film, just like OTL. Like TheFaultsofAlts said, They need the IPs.

And in the original American Magic timeline, OldNavy1988 had Disney strike a deal with a Will Vinton-led Laika to distribute the latter's films, but we only got to Coraline shortly before that timeline ended. Maybe that same deal happens ITTL? That, or WB gets Laika, I mean, WB still got Corspe Bride (which Laika helped animate and produce), so that's another likely contender for the Laika movies...
Maybe Turner can release Open Season? I mean, assuming that Cow and Chicken is a Turner IP, of course. If it's a Nicktoon, then Touchstone can release it.
You're asking this because Cow and Chicken's creator was head of story on the first movie and directed the last one?

They own the version that Cubby Broccoli made in the Sixties but not the source material.
Regardless, I think following the plot of the stage musical would be the way to go which IMO story wise actually is better than the original film and it all would work well to animation that's for sure.

Not sure where it's licence lies though unless it lies with the Broccoli version in some form. Maybe have it out for a 2008 release, to tie in with the original film's anniversary though that is just my opinion.