Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

Sandwiched between the Japanese home islands and the island of Bireitou was the Ryukyu Kingdom, an independent polity and Ming tributary that managed to retain its sovereignty after Japan became a Ming tributary in 1607
Hmmm.... If Ryukyu retains its independence, does that mean that Ryukyuan survives as a separate Japonic language? Does the southern complex of languages get swamped by the northern one, since the Kingdom is based in the north?

Hmmm.... If Ryukyu retains its independence, does that mean that Ryukyuan survives as a separate Japonic language?
Japanese is definitely going to be less “centralized” then OTL.

-The Ainu inhabitanted north will probably from a widely used northern dialect
-The Japanese communities in south east Asia will from there own accents
-Japanese Luzon will develop separately
-as will Bireitou
-Japan will probably avoid the forcing of the Tokyo dialect on the whole nation due to Japan probably avoiding a fixation on centralization that the imperial government had in there desperate rush to modernize the country.
Does the southern complex of languages get swamped by the northern one, since the Kingdom is based in the north?
I can’t think of why that would happen. Maybe If lots of Ryukyu merchant elites move to the colonies and start a Ryukyu cultural renaissance in the colonies or a lot of young promising colonial born students are sent to study in Ryukyu and bring there linguistic influences south

Last edited:
Does that imply Ryukyu is still independent to some extent? or that it was kept as a single province rather then split between Okinawa and Kagoshima Prefecture‘s?
Haven’t decided yet but it’ll be a while before the deciding point comes.
Hmmm.... If Ryukyu retains its independence, does that mean that Ryukyuan survives as a separate Japonic language? Does the southern complex of languages get swamped by the northern one, since the Kingdom is based in the north?
Ryūkyūa will definitely survive as its own language regardless of whether it remains independent. As to the latter, maybe but unlikely.
Ooh interesting to see how Ryuku has developed, I do hope they have some sort of autonomy or independence if possible. Still have to get caught up with all the chapters, but you're doing a lovely job of explaining things @Ambassador Huntsman
Thank you!!

Haven’t decided yet but it’ll be a while before the deciding point comes.

Ryūkyūa will definitely survive as its own language regardless of whether it remains independent. As to the latter, maybe but unlikely.

Thank you!!
I’m fine with Ryukyu staying together as one Ryukyu Prefecture or Han but autonomy? Nah. Same amount Bireitou and Luson have at most IMO.

Which is why we should go for it!
All weirdness is welcome~
:'( Look this is a bit much. It's a Japan-centric story, can't be Japan-centric if we deny them an integral part of their island chain that is literally right in the middle between Bireitou and Kyushu. Strategically that makes no sense.

Alright alright, Im being more tongue-in-cheek(like with the "then they claim the Mandate of Heaven!") but I do hope for a good outcome for Ryukyu as part of Japan
Like Im fine with them having the same level of autonomy as Luzon like you said, but then give a lot of autonomy to Luzon too!
But overall I agree that this is a Japan TL and they should do better here(and not get screwed), as much I love unintended outcomes 😉

Alright alright, Im being more tongue-in-cheek(like with the "then they claim the Mandate of Heaven!") but I do hope for a good outcome for Ryukyu as part of Japan
Like Im fine with them having the same level of autonomy as Luzon like you said, but then give a lot of autonomy to Luzon too!
But overall I agree that this is a Japan TL and they should do better here(and not get screwed), as much I love unintended outcomes 😉
I'm alright with Japan being more diverse culturally if an overall Japanese culture and unity the Japanese are good at still exists. Ryukyu can join Japan as a Ryuku Prefecture/Han without being divided and that's cool.

Japan not controlling Ryukyu doesn’t make this a screw- they still already control Taiwan as a firmly established Japanese territory, not to mention the colony in Luzon

Japan not controlling Ryukyu doesn’t make this a screw- they still already control Taiwan as a firmly established Japanese territory, not to mention the colony in Luzon
They won’t control those territories very long if China or someone else conquers the Ryukyu. They form a vital part of the chain going down to Luzon

Who’s to say China will, or even can, do this
They totally can if they develop their navy even a slight bit. The Qing conquered Taiwan back from the Dutch. The only way Ryukyu doesn’t fall to a China actually interested in conquering them is if Japan interferes and at that point the Japanese would just take them themselves

They totally can if they develop their navy even a slight bit. The Qing conquered Taiwan back from the Dutch. The only way Ryukyu doesn’t fall to a China actually interested in conquering them is if Japan interferes and at that point the Japanese would just take them themselves
Thing is China did so with overwhelming numbers (like a few hundred ships at a time), which is going to be hard no matter what.

I'm pretty sure Japan could field such a navy rarely.

Also, taking the ryukus now is too risky bc for now the Ming is more focused on the various kingdoms beyond their borders. The best thing they could do rn is focus on soft power influence and make the country more pliable to annexation in the future.

Thing is China did so with overwhelming numbers (like a few hundred ships at a time), which is going to be hard no matter what.

I'm pretty sure Japan could field such a navy rarely.

Also, taking the ryukus now is too risky bc for now the Ming is more focused on the various kingdoms beyond their borders. The best thing they could do rn is focus on soft power influence and make the country more pliable to annexation in the future.
The Ming will not be on top of the world forever that’s for sure. In the meantime they should bind the Ryukyu closer and closer to Japan economically and culturally.