The R-QBAM main thread

No patch today unfortunately. The Mesoamerican Barrier Reef off the coast of Belize and Quintana Roo is taking longer than I expected to finish.

As I'm short on time now, I'll also reply to any comments since the last post tomorrow as well.

Could we start making patches of North American history with the already-completed parts of the map? This should help accelerate progress for later historical world maps.

Sorry for the slight delay, but I wasn't feeling in a particularly mappy mood yesterday, and my laptop was running glacially slow, so I threw in the towel halfway through the latest patch with the intent of finishing it today. Didn't really feel like replying to anything either, so that's all going here now.

And considering you added the ice caps on top of mounts Rainier and Baker, Greenland and the northwestern coast of America are going to have an extra layer of complexity. Good luck with that.

Yup, the only saving grace is that I've done ice sheets patches before, so I know what I'm dealing with, but I'll get it done.

As a sidenote, I generated with GIS a Robinson map of the PNW using Natural Earth as a source (at ~1.17X the scale of your map, did it in a rush), and the ice caps look different, what was your criteria for them?

I'm going for permanent ice cover, primarily using the 8K-BAM (which you helped create if I remember correctly - do you remember what sources you used for that?), with refinements made via google maps. On that note I'd say that map you produced is a little too excessive showing ice cover than the one I'm working from.

I would like to ask if having a different color for natural lakes and man-made reservoirs is possible? Doing an althist map of 1800 but having all the dams there is always a pain for me.
Probably best for natural lakes to be the same color as the coast while man-made reservoirs are like a dark blue that can easily be grabbed in a paint program and filled with the land color.
I would personally say go with an addendum file if possible to differentiate more recent natural lakes/reservoirs from older ones.

On the subject of reservoirs, for the current map I'll be keeping reservoirs and natural lakes the same colour, but I could whip up separate map distinguishing reservoirs with a different colour without too much difficulty, so I'll probably do that as well.

One annoying problem is that reservoirs didn't all just appear at once - in the US alone some were first constructed in the 1920's, while others were filled as late as the 90's, which is why I earlier suggested a series of decade-by-decade time-slices showing new reservoirs added through the twentieth century to help with historical maps from that period. Before then I'd rely on the good old historical geography patch, to deal with things like the Salton Sea (created by accident in 1905), Reelfoot Lake (mentioned previously), or former Lake Tulare (previously the largest freshwater lake in the US west of the Mississippi, it was drained entirely in the latter 19th century).

Anyway, time for ...

Patch 7 - the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef;
- Added the Mexican state of Quintana Roo, plus major associated reefs (only really the Banco Chinchorro atoll, see notes below)
- Added Belize, with major reef complexes, atolls and cays.
- Added the Belize-Guatemala territorial dispute, showing Guatemalan claims to Belize and the disputed border.

1639133158632.png

A few notes on this one. While the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef continues all the way north to Cancun, as it hugs the coast for most of that distance I didn't really feel like adding it, except when it cut across the entrance to two notable bays. I'm also annoyed to see that my standard 'disputed/undefined border' colour is annoyingly close to the main colour for Guatemala, but I don't really feel like changing it so it'll stay for now.

Damn forum, not showing new posts until after I'd posted the latest patch. Time for a few more replies;

Can I do Eurasia?

Sorry but no, to quote myself in the intro;
What may annoy people who want this done quickly however is that I do not want this to be a collaborative project. I'll get it all done on my own, no matter how long it takes me.

This is because of a problem I noticed following the production of the MBAM - that different people have subtly different styles of making maps. Person A might be a little too generous adding small lakes for example, while person B might abhor single-pixel lakes and avoid putting them in. Put these two styles together in one map and the result is a subtle but noticeable dichotomy between the areas mapped by the different people. In short, I want one person to go over the whole map with the same eye and the same perspective so everything is consistent. Once the map is done I have no problem letting other people patch it and modify it to their heart's content, but I want the basemap at least to all be consistent.
Sums up my position nicely.

Could we start making patches of North American history with the already-completed parts of the map? This should help accelerate progress for later historical world maps.

I'm currently focused on getting the basemap done, but as I've said before, I have no problem with people making historical patches for example. That would require me to quickly whip up the no-reservoirs map, plus a few general geography patches, but I could do that relatively quickly. I won't do anything like that until I've finished Central America however, though that should be done soon.

I'm going for permanent ice cover, primarily using the 8K-BAM (which you helped create if I remember correctly - do you remember what sources you used for that?), with refinements made via google maps. On that note I'd say that map you produced is a little too excessive showing ice cover than the one I'm working from.
It was Klime who did the basemap using ArcGIS while the process of tracing over was a cooperative job (didn't have GIS back then). However by doing a bit of an investigation of our messaging while creating the basemap I managed to find the source for the sheets. Turns out they are not ice sheets but "Permanent ice and snow", and the source layer is the ESA CCI Land Cover Website (you can download them here if you want more detail, the year was probably 2015 for 8K-BAM). Here's the land cover projected into the 8K-BAM anyways. And yes, the coverage of permanent ice and snow looks a bit too excessive, maybe due to seasonality (there's almost no snow in Patagonia save the ice sheets after all).

Maybe a way to deal or rather, compress, the differential timing of the reservoirs would be to play with the luminosity. As in, giving for example a luminosity value 0 to those created in 1900 and then keep adding 1 per year, getting progressively lighter. Would be very tedious to edit, but would be a good way to highlight specific dates without having to write numbers or do a historical series. Btw, change Guatemala's colour to another scheme if it is too similar.

No patch again unfortunately - I had a busy day on Friday, so didn't get much done. Also, Nicaragua and Honduras are proving a tad more difficult than I expected, which is holding things up a little. I should have the next patch ready by tomorrow.

Also, as it turns out I was actually doing virtually the exact same thing as you are right now a month or so ago, which is weird. As far as I know there's three q-bam remakes going around right now. I kept mine pretty much secret since I wanted to finish the darned thing before I told people I made it (I have a tendency to just abandon projects so this seemed like a reasonable rule). I got busy with other basemaps and didn't really have the time to finish it.
I feel super uncomfortable posting about it here, since this is about your basemap (which unlike mine hasn't been dead for a month), but I would like to tell the world it does exist.
Unfortunately the two basemaps are not compatible, yours is just a wee bit bigger than mine. Anyways, I've so far done a good portion of the landmass, and nothing else. There's also a few patches with historical coastlines, and I've also colored reservoirs differently (which is important to me, mostly).

I'm not trying to take away your work, and I also don't have any plans of finishing mine (I pretty much gave up on it after this thread started).Since I plan to contribute to this now.

Hokay.

Firstly, Nicaragua-Honduras is taking much longer to do than I initially anticipated. The problem is the Miskito Cays, a system of small islands and reefs off the coast of Nicaragua and Honduras. The issue is that I can find basically no good maps of the area, (especially any highlighting reefs) and the few I have found don't tend to agree. According to this paper from 2014, much of the area is still unexplored, though funnily enough the best map I've been able to find for showing reefs and cays is this German map from 1902, and even that isn't perfect.

Which is why I've spent way too much time today taking screenshots of offshore reefs on zoom.earth then pasting them together in MS paint to form an (incomplete) collage, that I'll then import to paint.net to use as a base to add reefs to the main map once its done. Am I overthinking this? Probably, but that's the method I've settled on, even if it is taking ages.

Dunno when the next patch will be out (as I said, this is taking a while), but I'm still holding myself to my 'everything south of Canada done before the end of the year' deadline, so it'll probably be done in a couple of days or so.

I don't currently have time to type out replies, so they'll come whenever I have the next patch ready. Sorry in advance for the wait.

You may be interested in the "Bathymetric" Q-BAM project, which there doesn't seem to have been much word on for a few months but which had already done a lot of this.

Above is a reprojected (Robinson, I think via Gprojector) and resized bathymetric 8K-BAM, and below is a blank map that (mostly) traced the coastlines off of it.
I'm personally super happy to see this R-BAM project for the simple fact that I haven't touched a ma in ages, I mostly just scan thru the AH forums occasionally to see what people are up to, and as a result any of my projects (including my fix of the QBAM thanks to Spinovenator's reprojection) are indefinitely suspended, this thread is great work and I might check out the progress every so often

@Tanystropheus42 can i know the full world map size and the coordinate of the meridian you chose, if not the greenwich meridian? I have decided to help you out by giving you what i could export from Qgis
I was going to remake the Qbam but since you are already doing it, i will just contribute to the effort :) (please dont remake the mbam by the way, i already have plans for it)

Last edited: