Why the Chinese play cricket (The Pax Imperialis)

How are the Swedish Government and companies reacting to Norway getting into the War? Would Sweden allow Norwegian good to transported by rail to Finland to avoid German subs?

Lol spoilers, this was a teaser, checking the upcoming Norwegian entry into the war is plausible. You'll have to wait for that answer I'm afraid.

This will increase the travel time for those supplies as well as leave them vulnerable to German subs.

Have the British and American Neutrality patrols sunk any subs on either side yet?

No they've not sunk any subs yet. Up to mid 1914, the focus was on surface raiders, making sure everyone plays nice. With the subs they're trying to enforce prize rules

I'm sorry, I again edited the part about the Channel's neutrality. What the British have done is say you can't turn it into a war zone so don't put anything in it which might make it a war zone.

February 1914: With France becoming increasingly dependant of British industry for their war effort, German cruisers begin attacking French shipping in the Channel. Operations are quickly abandoned after two cruisers are lost. However, this leads to the British stepping up their neutrality patrols and prohibiting warships entering the Channel or the delivery of strategic materials to channel ports to ensure its neutrality.

Well, the time has come, I'm two and a half years ahead. The swarms of butterflies are clearing and I now have a fair idea how the Great War is going to end. So please fasten your seatbelts, place your tray table in the upright position and ensure your window shade is open. Kansas is about to go bye bye.

Driftless

Donor
Well, the time has come, I'm two and a half years ahead. The swarms of butterflies are clearing and I now have a fair idea how the Great War is going to end. So please fasten your seatbelts, place your tray table in the upright position and ensure your window shade is open. Kansas is about to go bye bye.

Sounds ominous....;)

1915a
~January to April 1915: You sunk my battleship

January 1915: Losses to Norwegian merchant ships operating in the Arctic Sea have climbed, with many seamen killed in the freezing waters. The Norwegian press is filled with lurid stories and the Norwegians public is demanding action. The Norwegian government issues a strong diplomatic protest, demanding an end to the attacks. However, the Germans refuse, claiming the attacks are legal.

January 1915: Believing the Western front to be stable, the Central Powers meet in Munich to discuss strategy. The Austro-Hungarians demand a focus on recapturing Galicia while the Ottomans call for the defeat of the Balkans League to open a supply line. For their part, the wish a new offensive in the Baltic States to knock Russia out of the war. Eventually no compromise can be found and it's agreed to attempt to do all three. However, German support for the Ottomans leads to an Austro-Hungarian commitment to support the Ottomans with an offensive in the Balkans, though the Austro-Hungarians extract a promise of German support for their Galician offensive.

January 1915: With submarine attacks in the Arctic sea continuing, Norway arms six trawlers to patrol the sea.

January 1915: The conversion of the cruiser Hermes is completed and she begins trials to determine the viability of naval aircraft operations.

February 1915: Planning a major offensive in Walloonia, the French launch a diversionary attack in Artois with the aim of drawing off German reserves.

February 1915: Qing Emperor Guangxu's son Yixuan enters Eton college.

February 1915: With the economies of Argentina, Brazil and Chile now booming due war orders for raw materials and agricultural products, Brazil reopens the South American dreadnought race by ordering a new dreadnought from Britain. She will displace 28,000 tons and be armed with eight 15" guns.

February 1915: The British introduce the Airco DH.2 and Royal Aircraft Factory FE.2 as their first purpose built single seat fighters. These are agile pusher aircraft armed with a single Lewis LMG.

February 1915: The British authoritise the strength of the Motor Corp to be expanded to two armoured car and four motorised infantry battalions.

February 1915: As part of their ongoing development of amphibious warfare, the British raise a four battalion Royal Marine brigade.

15th February 1915: The French airship Felix du Temple and the German airship Z V engage in an aerial duel over France. After a slow dogfight lasting an hour, the Z V is brought down.

February 1915: The Ottomans open the Central Powers eastern campaign with a drive along the rail line toward Sofiya from Edirne. The offensive makes little headway as the Bulgarians transfer troops from the Iskur line to reinforce their positions.

March 1915: The Norwegian destroyer Gorm rams and sinks the German submarine U19 in the Arctic Sea. Germany condemns the incident and authoritises it's submarines to act in self-defense.

March 1915: The Austro-Hungarians begin their Balkans campaign in support of the Ottoman. The campaign opens with an offensive against the Bulgarians and Serbs aimed at Sofiya. The offensive makes slow progress against determined resistance.

March 1915: The Greek battleship Salamis is completed in the US. However President Roosevelt refuses to release her, maintaining US neutrality.

March 1915: The two seat Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter enters British service as their standard observation and bombing aircraft. Armed with a Lewis LMG for the observer and a single Vickers MG forward, it is the first British aircraft to feature interruptor gear.

March 1915: The French begin to transfer the majority of their submarine fleet to the western Mediterranean to cut the Ottomans access to foreign supplies and markets.

March 1915: The Russians form the Czech legion from Czech and Slovak prisoners of war. This brigade will grow to divisional strength by the end of the year.

March 1915: The Greeks launch an offensive against the Ottomans in Edirne to take pressure off the Bulgarians.

May 1915: The French dispatch troops to the Balkans to reinforce the Bulgarians.

March 1915: The Germans introduce the Albatross D.I and Halberstadt D.II finally gaining superiority over the Nieuport 11.

March 1915: The planned combined Franco-Belgian offensive in Walloonia is begun with the aim of achieving a breakthrough toward Antwerp. The offensive makes little headway but results in huge casualties. However the offensive marks the first use of a creeping barrage to shield the infantry advance.

April 1915: The Austro-Hungarians launch their Galician offensive with a drive in the Carpathians. The Germans simultaneously begin an offensive from Silesia and Poland, with the Germans employing poison gas for the first time. While the Austro-Hungarian offensive makes little headway, the German drive breaks through the Russians line forcing them to begin a retreat.

April 1915: The German submarine U12, claiming self-defense, sinks the Norwegian armed trawler Heldig Blomst with the loss of her entire crew. The Norwegian public is outraged.

April 1915: With the situation in the war clearly changing, the Italians now begin negotiations with Central Powers regarding entering the war. Their demands however centre on Austria-Hungary ceding substantial territory, hindering and slowing. negotiations.

April 1915: With the loss of the Heldig Blomst and submarine attacks in the Arctic sea continuing, the Norwegians issue an ultimatum demanding their end. The German refusal leaves the Norwegians no option but to declare war.

April 1915: Despite President Roosevelt's calls for further military expansion, Congress refuses to support any further expansion on the grounds it high unlikely the US will be drawn into the war. Naval construction is limited to two new battleships. However the battleships at 31,500 tons, armed with twelve 14" guns and 13.5" of armour, have considerably increased fighting power.

April 1915: With their offensive in the Balkans making little headway, the Austro-Hungarians employ chlorine gas against the Serbs. The gas attack is devastating opening a hole in the Serbian lines, allowing the Austro-Hungarians to break through. The Serbs retreat exposes the Bulgarians flank to attack.

April 1915: The French offensive in Artois achieves a breakthrough. However lack of adequate reserves prevent this being exploited and allows the Germans to reform their line.

April 1915: The Norwegians begin purchasing modern weapons from Britain to reequip their army.

April 1915: The French begin purchasing British interruptor gear to match the Germans.

20th April 1915: The USS Tacoma, is sunk off the French Atlantic coast by the German submarine U28 with heavy loss of life. While Germany apologises, agrees to pay reparations and court marshal the Captain, US public reaction overwhelmingly calls for a declaration of war.

Last edited:
Oh come on how does that look if the American comes in before the British!
Actually would think US ships are different compare to the French.

I guess that's true but honesty there's that perception if your country is not on of those fighting in the war you don't get that bond of fighting together.

Yes but you also don't get the Dominions developing a sense of nationhood or disdain of British General's stupidity. Not to mention the lost generation.

Its very sane actually. Stay out of it, no huge losses of people, make money and maybe learn from others mistakes. The down side is that there is no momentum for social change

The momentum is already there with the slow radicalisation of British politics since the 1870s. What you don't get is the dislocation caused by the pace of change. A lot of the OTL post war changes have already occurred ITTL

Well the bloodbath continues throughout the various fronts. Events in South America may cause the War to expand. Germany is shooting themselves by their sub attacks.

I will admit I liked the airship running gunfight.

Well the bloodbath continues throughout the various fronts. Events in South America may cause the War to expand. Germany is shooting themselves by their sub attacks.

I will admit I liked the airship running gunfight.

The subs will settle down now. Everyone will get a LOT more cautious with them now. And yeah I couldn't have an alternate history without at least one airship battle.