2024 Turtledoves - Best Early Modern Timeline Poll

The Best Early Modern Timeline Is...

• There and Back Again: The English Journeys of Catherine of Aragon; @Awkwardvulture

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • Anno Obumbratio: A 16th Century Alternate History; @DrakeRlugia

Votes: 54 22.9%
  • An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V; @pandizzy

Votes: 50 21.2%
  • The Spanish Heir (What if Carlos II had a son?); @Archduke

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • No GNW (or “Peter goes South”); @alexmilman

Votes: 26 11.0%
  • The Dukes of Fernau, for now; @traminer

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • An Heir to Rule; @Tudorfan

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • l'Antarctique: A French Brazil TL; @Kurd Gossemer

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • Union of The Three Crowns: The History of the Nordic Empire; @Gabingston

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • WI: All of Katherine of Aragon's children live to adulthood; @Violet Rose Lily

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • The King is dead - A Renaissance TL; @isabella

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Rosa Sine Spina: Kitty Howard Is Pregnant in 1541; @FalconHonour

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • Restoration of the Great Ming: A Tianqi Timeline; @RexSueciae

Votes: 33 14.0%
  • The Jaguar's Roar - An Aztec Timeline; @Vinization

Votes: 47 19.9%
  • What if Jerusalem had assented to the 1538 Sanhedrin; @Jonathan Edelstein

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • A Destiny Fulfilled; @isabella

Votes: 12 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The main plot of Destiny fulfilled start with the death of Catherine of Aragon in the miscarriage of her third child, leaving a childless Henry VIII with little choice than sought again the hand of Eleanor of Austria, the bride chosen for him by his father. At the same time Eleanor’s sister Isabella is engaged to the Duke of Milan, while their brother Charles, the young Duke of Burgundy is enchanted by a portrait of his fiancée Mary Tudor and choose to go ahead with the wedding, with big consequences on the whole Europe as Ferdinand of Austria will become heir of Spain, Anne of Hungary the last wife of Emperor Maximilian and Louis XII will remarry to another young woman…

The King is dead, my newer TL start with the battle of Pavia, where Francis I of France die instead of being captured, followed shortly after by his brother-in-law the Duke d’Alençon, forcing Louise of Savoy, now regent for her orphaned grandson to offer a deal to the victorious Duke of Bourbon on one side and to accept Charles V’s requests for ending the war on the other one. Marguerite d’Angouleme, now remarried to the Duke of Bourbon, need to keep the peace between her mother and her new husband for the good of the kingdom, while the Habsburg brothers, without the need to guard themselves from France and after securing the control of the northern Italy with the wedding between their sister Eleanor and the Duke of Milan, can put their full strength against their other enemies so you can expect many changes from the events of our timeline

Anno Obumbratio is a sixteenth century TL with a fairly common POD of Henry VIII dying. Instead of dying in the 1530s however, the POD of Anno Obumbratio involves Henry VIII dying at the Battle of the Spurs / Thérouanne in 1513. He leaves behind a pregnant wife and no direct heir, leading to an interregnum until Catherine of Aragon gives birth to a daughter in December of 1513, named Mary. Anno explores not only the idea of England having a queen regnant some forty years earlier than OTL, but explores the massive changes in Catherine of Aragon's life as she serves as her daughters regent through her long minority and how she deals with the troubles throughout her regency. Anno also explores some vital changes in Europe, such as Charles V marrying Henry VIII's sister, an alternate division of the Habsburg inheritance, with Charles V's imperial line retaining Burgundy and Austria, while Ferdinand becomes the eventual heir of Spain. Other changes involve the Italian Wars, such as an alternate battle of Pavia where Charles V is captured in battle instead of Francis. This leads to a more French influenced Italy: including them maintaining Milan and being able to install a scion of the House of Lorraine as Kings of Naples. The Reformation also plays out quite differently; Henry VIII's early death means that England remains Catholic, while other changes (such as the restoration of Christian II of Denmark in the mid-1530s) sees the Catholic faith hold firm in parts of Northern Europe as well.

Hey, everyone, here it's Izzy again. An Imperial Match has been my brainchild for close to three years now, and it's the story of Charles V Holy Roman Emperor meeting Anne Boleyn while he visits England in 1522 and falling utterly in love with her. Considering Anne Boleyn's whole feelings about becoming a man's mistress, they marry and shenanigans ensue. What started in England has now sprawled to take over the world, who will never be the same again.

yes im using the same blurb i used for the 2023 turtledoves, what about it

What if Jerusalem had assented to the 1538 Sanhedrin began with a question by @jacob ningen about a 16th-century proposal to revive the ancient Jewish supreme court, which IOTL failed due to objections from the rabbis of Jerusalem. The 16th century was a very formative period for the Jews of the Holy Land and especially the Galilee, where many exiles from the Iberian expulsions had settled; a Sanhedrin, and the unified legal authority it represented, could have affected this formation in many ways.

The timeline is a collection of stories told from the point of view of individual characters and chronicling the messianic upheavals of the 17th century, the development of an autonomous Jewish community in the eastern Galilee, the incorporation of that community by the 18th-century Bedouin empire-builder Zahir al-Umar, and the ongoing conflicts between religious and civil authorities and between the rabbis of the Galilee and those of Jerusalem. It has presently reached the early 19th century where the Sanhedrin of Palestine faces a challenge from the Grand Sanhedrin of Napoleon.

This is not the most rigorous of timelines - I've applied a butterfly net to events occurring outside the Holy Land through 1800 - so it might not be for purists. I'm more interested in telling a story and developing the historical and theological themes. All readers are welcome, though, and conversation and criticism are always appreciated.

Hey all. Restoration of the Great Ming: A Tianqi Timeline is my first foray into alternate history. I couldn't tell you how it started, how I got the idea or whatever -- it sorta fell into place, and I realized I had the opportunity to use a bunch of historical information that I'd previously acquired. The result speaks for itself.

I will note, as an observation, that a lot of people think of Chinese alternate history and they think of the Ming treasure ships under Zheng He (for which I blame Gavin Menzies), which is funny because there are other possibilities, more plausible and more realistic, for points of divergence -- well, I've been working on this for the past year, and I'm glad to have gotten this far.

I'm deeply honored to have been nominated, and I'm grateful to the support I have received from this community.

As I see other nominees writing blurbs above, I'll join in with mine.

The Dukes of Fernau, for now has so far followed the story of the Duchy of Courland and Semigallia from the effective start of Duke Jakob Kettler's reign to its invasion by neighbouring powers. In this timeline, Duke Jakob - stubbornly and accidentally - grants fuller freedom of religion within his duchy than any of its neighbours. An early Khmelnytsky uprising brings a wave of mostly Jewish refugees to Courland, amplifying the rise of the duchy's economy and colonial enterprise.

In some ways, I've only begun the story. Courland has been strengthened just enough to try to survive in a colonial exile, which is about to begin. I'm grateful to the readers who've corrected me, encouraged me, stuck with me, and even nominated and voted for me. I'm honoured and perhaps surprised at my nomination; I only aim to make the timeline even more worthy of such readers and future nominations as the story continues beyond its crisis point.

Status
Not open for further replies.