Best city for integrated baseball team in 1870s to keep game integrated

Where should first integrated baseball team be owned? (Multiple choice)

• New York, biggest city means lots of diversity, even in 1870s

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Brooklyn - smaller borough noted for immigrants, not yet part of NYC

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Boston, if a tradition like Celtics can emerge; winning cures everything

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Philadelphia, Octavius Catto, other s interested in Civil Rights hold key

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Cleveland, smaller but growing city at time, needs to start small

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Cincinnati, needs to start at or near beginning

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Chicago, big city for sports even back then

• Washington, more Southern like Cincy, but big amateur history like PHilly,NYC

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Smaller town like Fort Wayne, etc.

• Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • It doesn't matter as long as the money is there, but it *must* be there in droves

• Total voters
I'm planning to re-do my "If Baseball Integrated Early" world with a different take - instead of a great player who forces it, an anti-Cap Anson, I plan to have an owner or tw.

Where would be the best place where a rich enough guy would be accepted doing it?

In IBIE I used Philadelphia for a couple years and then had the player go to New York; PHiladelphia helps with Octavius Catto there, of course. But, where would an owner be most likely to accept it and have his team accepted and have it grow, even if slowly?

This would start in the early 1870s and the team would keep going, influencing others to as well.

This, BTW, is multiple choice becasue there might be a number of good options. There are a few that aren't likely options, but could hve the 2nd, anyway, but just vote for the first unless you really think you should vote for 2 becasue it seems like it'd be easier if a couple are willing that early.

Last edited:
I voted both NY cities and Cincinnati if one member of the reds were black and were one of the top players, is either the NL with or without the reds and the reds would give legitimacy any other league tooo

Thanks, I hadn't thought of Canada - the London (ONtario) Tecumsehs would be an interesting choice, or the team could be bought and moved after it fell into debt in 1878.

I voted others: I think the best option is a California city like LA where they never implemented a rule like that
In 1870? LA wasn't that big then, just yet. There could possibly be a pro team from San Francisco that could barnstorm into the Midwest and the East Coast, but the travel costs would have been immense. It wouldn't be until the 1940s when the travel technology allowed transcontinental travel to be a lot more feasible.

Realistically, a first integrated team that could influence the rest of the sport would have to be in one of the bigger cities like New York, Chicago, or Boston, or in a place like Cincinnati, where the Red Stockings were the first and most successful club of the time.

If the integrated teams turn out to be more immediately successful than their competition, then everyone else would quickly follow suit to remain competitive and profitable. This would completely alter the history of North American sports.

I think if you have tons of money to get and keep good players it doesn't really matter - you are probably going to face bigotry just about anywhere given the era. There are a few places I'd stay away from however. Boston is top of mind here but I'd also add Cincinnati and Washington to that list as well.

I like Montreal a lot but if I had to pick an American city I'd go Philly.

Boston. It's a pro civil rights stronghold.

New York City was very pro South and Democrat during the Civil War and immigrants didn't like African Americans because they were competitors in the low wage job market.

In 1870? LA wasn't that big then, just yet. There could possibly be a pro team from San Francisco that could barnstorm into the Midwest and the East Coast, but the travel costs would have been immense. It wouldn't be until the 1940s when the travel technology allowed transcontinental travel to be a lot more feasible.

Realistically, a first integrated team that could influence the rest of the sport would have to be in one of the bigger cities like New York, Chicago, or Boston, or in a place like Cincinnati, where the Red Stockings were the first and most successful club of the time.

If the integrated teams turn out to be more immediately successful than their competition, then everyone else would quickly follow suit to remain competitive and profitable. This would completely alter the history of North American sports.
Well, that's the benefit--the team would have a long history of being integrated, maybe win a few big series with integrated players in the early 1900s and forcing the sport to desegregate entirely

Well, that's the benefit--the team would have a long history of being integrated, maybe win a few big series with integrated players in the early 1900s and forcing the sport to desegregate entirely
I'm curious if this could also result in societal changes. If sport can be integrated and remain profitable and thriving, perhaps other sectors of American society could be encouraged to integrate much sooner than in OTL. The integration pushed of the 1940s were an inspiration for the Civil Rights Movement of the 50s and 60s.