Hensonverse Speculation and Commentary

"PARKER-SAN! SUPAIDAMAN NO SHASHIN WA DOKO NI ARIMASU KA?"

Also, I was reading up a little bit about this timeline, and I hear Toonami is a Nickelodeon thing here.

What are some of, if not all, the shows that have aired on Toonami/Miguzi/Mizu/N-Gage?
First off, you can thank me for the launch lineups for those anime blocks. Weird translated titles and all, because this is still the 1990s we're talking about.

Second, I had stuff like ThunderCats, Justice League, DBZ, and Ranma 1/2 on Toonami's launch lineup. This is because WB kept their ownership of Nickelodeon, which explains the latter two, and for a 1992 launch, DBZ and Ranma had enough episodes to consider dubbing by then.

Zeta Gundam both replaces Kingdom Champions and pushes DBZ and Ranma up half an hour the year following that.

Erm, sorry, where are those launch lineups? I only read this thread.

Also, what’s Kingdom Champions?
Sorry, got ahead of myself.
Although, looking back on the latter article, maybe I should have put it on Vaultoons instead.

Sorry, got ahead of myself.
Although, looking back on the latter article, maybe I should have put it on Vaultoons instead.
And where in these threads did you put these lineups in? M

Possible Marvel/Star Comics 'crossover':
dfr90fa-6eb220e9-2334-4bbb-9904-a9352eea8f21.png

Some speculation, I don't think Dick Gephardt is going to be a two term president, I think a mix of voter fatigue and a stronger Republican challenger (my money's on John McCain) giving the GOP the White House.

Quick question, does offering a breakdown of the senate and house seats count as commentary and should be placed here or can it be left in the main thread? I've done it before but I don't want to clog it up unnecessarily.

Quick question, does offering a breakdown of the senate and house seats count as commentary and should be placed here or can it be left in the main thread? I've done it before but I don't want to clog it up unnecessarily.

I would probably reply to it here, so it's probably good here

I would probably reply to it here, so it's probably good here
Got it! Here we go!

Surprised to see another Democrat victory, though perhaps that's a result of the political system being so...different. It's definitely interesting that Reform matches the disappointing OTL performance here, wonder where that actually leaves us this time. And the breakdown that Reform failed to become the dominant third party is definitely interesting, and it does really make for an interesting marker about which side of the fence certain politicians are on.

Feinstein finding her way back to the Senate makes a lot of sense, particularly given her victory in the governor's election, as is the return of JEB. Weird to see Olympia Snowe relegated to getting thrashed by Angus King. It's weird to see Schumer allying with Reform but it also makes a lot of sense considering his outreach skills. Ventura holding his senate seat is smart, and Jeffords I assume will have a far less consequential last term as a result. And it's interesting to see the Democrat-Reform tickets laid out here with Melcher, Sasser, Wilder, Ric and Vinich sticking around, I'm very pleased to see Carnahan's disaster butterflied away too, his victory and that of Blanchard's over Ronna Romney makes a lot of sense to me. Lincoln winning his dad's old seat back makes a lot of sense and Heinz retaining his own is really interesting too, curious that there's still a relatively moderate wing holding on there, even if Barton also won as well. Nevada going to the Republicans again is understandable, and I was quite surprised to see that a Reform boost did not help Corzine enter the senate this time around. Bob Franks seems primed for this new political landscape, I'm curious as to what he'll do there.

Now to the House! The seats in Alaska, Idaho and Kansas do seem to reflect the trend of the Reform party's downswing. Alabama and Arkansas are what they are, same goes to California save for Mike Thompson managing to win against Hamburg (Man, wonder what the story with that guy was, seems like he couldn't pick a lane to stick in here) and Barbara Alby's victory. Hoffman and Hollaway losing is quite shocking, especially the latter with Blanco taking over his seat, I had assumed he'd be in for the long haul. Definitely fun to see the Michigan redistricting process going differently and keeping a few people in the same districts and Stabenow going for the race here instead of the Senate opens up some curious avenues. Definitely funny to see Matthew Frumin enter elected office far earlier than OTL, at least I thought so right up until I realized that he actually ran in OTL! The Mayor of Pittsburgh entering the House is curious as is the return of everyone's favourite, Dick Zimmer! I'm curious as to why Virgil Goode didn't leap across to the Republicans or even become a Reform member, unless Gore has been so decently boring that nothing's offended him much, though Forbes makes a lot more sense. And sometimes history needs no altering, see Merrill Cook for an example, eh?

Overall, really enjoyed this! Curious to see where we go next and what the hell a Dick Gephardt presidency actually looks like.

Just one note. It would be Butch Otter winning in ID for the House, not Bruce.
Bound to happen when I'm trying to be comprehensive, I've misidentified parties in the past.
Got it! Here we go!

Surprised to see another Democrat victory, though perhaps that's a result of the political system being so...different. It's definitely interesting that Reform matches the disappointing OTL performance here, wonder where that actually leaves us this time. And the breakdown that Reform failed to become the dominant third party is definitely interesting, and it does really make for an interesting marker about which side of the fence certain politicians are on.

Feinstein finding her way back to the Senate makes a lot of sense, particularly given her victory in the governor's election, as is the return of JEB. Weird to see Olympia Snowe relegated to getting thrashed by Angus King. It's weird to see Schumer allying with Reform but it also makes a lot of sense considering his outreach skills. Ventura holding his senate seat is smart, and Jeffords I assume will have a far less consequential last term as a result. And it's interesting to see the Democrat-Reform tickets laid out here with Melcher, Sasser, Wilder, Ric and Vinich sticking around, I'm very pleased to see Carnahan's disaster butterflied away too, his victory and that of Blanchard's over Ronna Romney makes a lot of sense to me. Lincoln winning his dad's old seat back makes a lot of sense and Heinz retaining his own is really interesting too, curious that there's still a relatively moderate wing holding on there, even if Barton also won as well. Nevada going to the Republicans again is understandable, and I was quite surprised to see that a Reform boost did not help Corzine enter the senate this time around. Bob Franks seems primed for this new political landscape, I'm curious as to what he'll do there.

Now to the House! The seats in Alaska, Idaho and Kansas do seem to reflect the trend of the Reform party's downswing. Alabama and Arkansas are what they are, same goes to California save for Mike Thompson managing to win against Hamburg (Man, wonder what the story with that guy was, seems like he couldn't pick a lane to stick in here) and Barbara Alby's victory. Hoffman and Hollaway losing is quite shocking, especially the latter with Blanco taking over his seat, I had assumed he'd be in for the long haul. Definitely fun to see the Michigan redistricting process going differently and keeping a few people in the same districts and Stabenow going for the race here instead of the Senate opens up some curious avenues. Definitely funny to see Matthew Frumin enter elected office far earlier than OTL, at least I thought so right up until I realized that he actually ran in OTL! The Mayor of Pittsburgh entering the House is curious as is the return of everyone's favourite, Dick Zimmer! I'm curious as to why Virgil Goode didn't leap across to the Republicans or even become a Reform member, unless Gore has been so decently boring that nothing's offended him much, though Forbes makes a lot more sense. And sometimes history needs no altering, see Merrill Cook for an example, eh?

Overall, really enjoyed this! Curious to see where we go next and what the hell a Dick Gephardt presidency actually looks like.
I felt like its bound for two terms and nine years of Dems would garuntee a swing in the other direction at this point.

Not that I'm complaining though.

Maybe next time. Like a lot of actual Americans, I hate it with a passion.

To kind of hit on the elephant, a third term Democratic victory, first before getting in to TGW's more detailed stuff here. When I started the working on 1998 through 2000 I was thinking of how switching out Clinton for Gore would effect this specific timeperiod as they were broadly similar ideologically but very different people. As such the entire political axis the US rotated on would be vastly different during that specific time period because Clinton had his demons which were different from Gore's. And so the midterms went worse in 98 for the Democrats in IOTL because Gore didn't have a perceived Republican overreach to a scandal wiping out a historical truism about the 6th year midterm but also a Democratic campaign in 2000 that's smoother because you don't have a President and Vice President who aren't talking to each other, Gore by all accounts was deeply hurt that Clinton lied to him and led to a campaign where Clinton was kept at arm's length; Gephardt and Gore have no such issue here. So Democrats do a nudge better in the popular vote and so slightly outrun the electoral college disadvantage here, though what really saves them is the home states of the candidates in question as well as the Green Energy investments that kept Tennessee from completely collapsing like IOTL. Though, even with that if Republicans had done 2 points better and matched W's % then Colorado, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin flip and Quayle is President.

Reform, here could see the writing on the wall with the Presidential to focus downballot so it does get to exist in similar fashion to the Farmer-Labor Party in Minnesota. Whether that's good or not kind depends on your viewpoint but it does keep around a certain guardrail to slow down polarization at least to some extend.

As to Virgil Goode, I actually had him switch to Reform originally but @Geekhis Khan's and his knowledge of Virginia politics of the time convinced me that there's no reason for him to do so here. Goode and his switch was an almost equal and opposite reaction to the Forbes switch and so there's just not reason to do so. Some Blue Dog/Conservadems hang around at least for awhile loner.

I'm curious as to why Virgil Goode didn't leap across to the Republicans or even become a Reform member
I met Goode, actually. Used to live in his district. Wonderful person, very down to earth in my experience. Real man of the people, or at least did an excellent job playing the part (seemed sincere to me).

The answer to your question is that Goode, despite being a Democrat, voted to Impeach Clinton. The party had a problem with that, naturally (a hard core liberal friend of mine said at the time, exasperatedly, "he just voted that way because that's what his constituents wanted!" to which I snarkily replied, "Yeah! What does he think this is, a representative democracy?"). No Monica scandal means no impeachment vote means no need to go Independent to avoid a primary challenge and no reason to go GOP or Reform afterwards. He was a Dem because his father was a Dem, no real other reason. As long as the Dems just leave him be, he's got no real reason to change.

He might have considered going Stripeback, but he was crazy popular in his home district, regularly winning by large margins. As a local commentator said when someone asked if Goode could win on an Independent ticket, "He could win on a Laundry ticket!"

I met Goode, actually. Used to live in his district. Wonderful person, very down to earth in my experience. Real man of the people, or at least did an excellent job playing the part (seemed sincere to me).

The answer to your question is that Goode, despite being a Democrat, voted to Impeach Clinton. The party had a problem with that, naturally (a hard core liberal friend of mine said at the time, exasperatedly, "he just voted that way because that's what his constituents wanted!" to which I snarkily replied, "Yeah! What does he think this is, a representative democracy?"). No Monica scandal means no impeachment vote means no need to go Independent to avoid a primary challenge and no reason to go GOP or Reform afterwards. He was a Dem because his father was a Dem, no real other reason. As long as the Dems just leave him be, he's got no real reason to change.

He might have considered going Stripeback, but he was crazy popular in his home district, regularly winning by large margins. As a local commentator said when someone asked if Goode could win on an Independent ticket, "He could win on a Laundry ticket!"
Fair enough! That's on me for not doing the research, it makes a lot of sense.