Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

No question. You could even do something similar to OTL St. Louis and call both the Baseball Team *and* the Hockey Team the Orioles. (Both have existed). Other possibilities from OTL include the Skipjacks and the Clippers.

BTW, there have been at *least* six Baltimore Oriole sports teams, three Major League Baseball, two Minor League Baseball and a hockey team. :)

And I guarantee you they can hate the Flyers as much as everyone else does. :)
Baltimore sure likes to name things after the Oriole bird eh lol
I would be happy to compromise with the Barons. A bonus would be if the Barons break the Cleveland curse instead of the Cavs.
What if Jim Brown never cursed Cleveland, though...?
The worst part is that with the South independent, Bettman's southern strategy couldn't go too much wworse.
An update many decades from now about Rose Long dropping the first puck for the first Confederate NHL team would be cool though.
So I realized, later on, that Rose Long was born in Indiana, and I'm already stretching things having her marry Huey as IOTL, so her being a CS President is probably out of the question in the end
But will a bloodstained Bettman take the neccessary measures to ensure a Crosby-Ovechkin final ITTL?
There are no lengths Bettman will not go to
Gotta have pro/rel somewhere in the US tho. Prevents the blatant tanking for picks and/or bonus signing space we've seen in sports without it.
Agreed. We'll have it in rugby (three-tiered closed rugby pyramid) and football (who knows how many levels there, lol) and maybe volleyball, undecided there as of yet (though the idea of the volleyball league being the biggest of them and covering much of North America and still having pro-rel has a certain appeal to me). Hockey and Baseball will be closed leagues but with massive farm/minors/junior leagues systems similar to OTL. In baseball, these secondary but fully professional leagues are largely what is spread across the other North American countries, and in cases like the CSA, Mexico or Cuba/Puerto Rico would likely have their own robust domestic leagues that land somewhere between AAA affiliates and Nippon Pro Baseball. For junior hockey, meanwhile, the WHL and OHL provide a good blueprint, ITTL with their strength declining remarkably the further south you get (it's a neat idea, but I have a hard time seeing hockey capture Mexican attention in the way that futbol (always numero uno), baseball and even to a lesser extent rugby and volleyball could. Just speaking from personal experience, WHL pulls serious fans, and a very different crowd than the NHL - the T-Birds and Silvertips here in Seattle still sell out their arenas all season long even with the Kraken in place, because people who want to pay $15 a ticket to get shithoused and watch Canadian high schoolers beat the shit out of each other aren't paying the usurious prices to go hang out in the Krakhouse where $15 gets you one beer.
You know, I wonder how Basketball is going to develop in this world. Its creator, James Naismith, was an Anglo-Canadian and only emigrated to the United States (Springfield MA) in the 1880s and then moved on to the University of Kansas (partially explaining why Basketball remains such a big sport in the Great Plains to this day). Should the sport still develop, it's entirely possible that it is done so in Canada in the ATL - infact, being an indoor sport, it might well take off there as giving an alternative sport to hockey. So perhaps we see a situation where Basketball becomes Canada's #2 sport after Hockey (because NOTHING is dethroning hockey) and is played in the US mainly amongst the French-Canadian migrant population in New England, but not really outside of that. This could give another sport a chance to really rise in the US to compete with Baseball and Rugby.
That's sort of been my thought all along; basketball is a niche sport in the US, sort of like a working-class lacrosse, and is replaced in the public consciousness by volleyball.

My thought process on the stack ranking of how popular various pro sports in the US are flows from the very different sporting culture the US would have ITTL, and that it doesn't have much of a Sun Belt outside of California/Arizona/Nevada/maybe Baja California depending on what I decide. Remember - the US is very loosely based on Canada OTL, at least in terms of political culture and where it winds up on its social services scale. So hockey needs to be way bigger below the 49th, which honestly isn't that big of a stretch since the entire Hockey Belt is inside the ITTL US anyways, without all this silly Southern Strategy of expansion.

If I had to guess, 2023 US sports hierarchy looks something like this:

1. Pro Rugby Association = Similar to OTL NFL in popularity, maybe a notch or two below. Pro-Rel applies
2A. Hockey League = The unequivocal indoor winter sport, perhaps a notch below OTL/TTL Canadian levels of obsession but enjoys a much stronger US position probably similar to the NBA. The gap between the PRA and the 2A/2B sports here is much narrower than the gap between the NFL and everybody else OTL
2B. American Football League = The big change here; sort of a hybrid between the NBA and MLB, with the popularity/cultural position of the former but the spring-through-fall popularity of the latter. This means that "soccer" (I've tried to be diligent calling it football exclusively in-universe) is a huge sport in the US, way bigger than OTL, but just not ahead of rugby. Pro-Rel applies
3. Major League Baseball = Similar to MLB in the 90s before the '94 Strike, but definitely has fallen behind AFL as the summer sport of choice and is no longer the "Pastime" of the country in the way it was in previous decades
4. National Volleyball Association/League - Not quite sure what I want to do with this yet, but just know it rounds out the Big Five North American sports. Volleyball is sort of second fiddle to Hockey League clubs in their indoor arenas but is a popular game in urban areas along with association football with kids due to its simplicity/low point of entry to play and is rapidly gaining on the other four after decades of being "the other winter sport" and being dismissed by some men as "that sport women play." Compare to position of MLS IOTL - it's big, and it's growing, but its definitely a step below.
5. Other sports that are maybe more "niche." Lacrosse, basketball (for Quebecois immigrants), cricket (for Indian and Jamaican immigrants), Jai Alai (for Whitey Bulger to launder money), etc.

In terms of college:

1. College Rugby uber alles, as it has always been on campus for the ultimate "rich man's game". I'll have an update on this soon.
2. College Football - I have a neat idea for something March Madness/World Cup like on this front. The best players of course wind up at club academies.
3. College Hockey. The best players of course wind up in junior leagues
4. College Volleyball
5. College Baseball. Much like IOTL, the real talent goes to minors straight out of high school, but there's still a big following on campus and for the CWS

Rose Long was born in Indiana
NOOOOOO
I loved the President Rose Long idea! Is there some way she could gain citizenship from her parents or were they originally northerners as well?
In any case Huey's wife being a native-born Northerner could have some interesting consequences...

NOOOOOO
I loved the President Rose Long idea! Is there some way she could gain citizenship from her parents or were they originally northerners as well?
In any case Huey's wife being a native-born Northerner could have some interesting consequences...

It gets a bit worse for ol Huey - his name 'The Kingfish of the Lodge' comes from the show Amos and Andy. That show took place in Chicago and was created by two comedians - one from the North and the other from the South. I know his nickname of the Kingfish has been used in-universe here, but he kinda needs to find a new way of acquiring it because I highly doubt Amos and Andy is going to be created in this TL for obvious reasons.

It gets a bit worse for ol Huey - his name 'The Kingfish of the Lodge' comes from the show Amos and Andy. That show took place in Chicago and was created by two comedians - one from the North and the other from the South. I know his nickname of the Kingfish has been used in-universe here, but he kinda needs to find a new way of acquiring it because I highly doubt Amos and Andy is going to be created in this TL for obvious reasons.
Well, fuck

2022 PRA Championship Final
The 2022 Pro Rugby Association Championship Final was held on Saturday, May 28th, at Interstate Bank Stadium in San Diego, California. It was the 12th time San Diego had hosted the Championship Final, one less than Los Angeles, and the record 25th time the Final was held in the Southern California region; it was also the second time hte Final had been hosted at ISB Stadium since it was completed in 2018.

The match was contested between Duluth Eskimos and Cleveland Rams as the conclusion of the 2022 Championship Playoff. Cleveland entered the match as a heavy favorite, appearing in their first Championship Final in 22 years and seeking their seventh Championship Final title; they had ended the 2021-22 Championship second in the table behind New York Titans, who were duly awarded the Doritos Cup as regular-season champions, and Rams had mere weeks earlier won the 2022 US Open Cup, defeating Green Bay RFC 30-18. As the two seed, Rams enjoyed a bye in the first round of the Championship Playoff and in the Semifinal defeated Green Bay in their fourth meeting of the season, all won by Rams, to advance to the Final with a chance at earning a double. Traditionally midtable and 2nd Division Eskimos, meanwhile, were appearing in the Playoff for only the second time in club history, entering at the five seed; in the Quarterfinal, Eskimos narrowly beat San Francisco 49ers and the next weekend scored a major upset in taking down Titans to advance to their first-ever Championship Final. The game was thus a unique affair, in that recent powerhouse clubs were not participating in it (indeed, defending champions Seattle had inexplicably been in such poor form that they were relegated, a historic first), and it was an opportunity for an unexpected participant to face off with a traditional power that had been poor in recent seasons.

Favorite Rams were defeated 24-21 in a match in which they converted no tries and scored only penalties behind Irish international Johnny Sexton; Argentine Joel Scalvi of Eskimos scored the game-winning try and was named Man of the Match. The Eskimos won the Halas Cup for the first time in club history and only their second piece of Triple Crown-eligible silverware ever after the 1996 US Open Cup. It was thus the second straight season in which a US Open Cup winner was defeated in their quest for a double at the hands of a then-trophyless team and a Triple Split [1] was produced.

1680534025409.png

[1] It took everything in my power not to term this a "Three Way." Anyways, hopefully this entry gives y'all a taste of what this Alt-NFL that's more Europeanized via rugby looks and feels like...

Although I'm sure my In-Universe doppleganger would cringe at me for saying this: Go Eskimos!!!! Glad to see that Duluth is the one with the major Minnesota team and not the Twin Cities. Although I'm sure they have a rivalry with the Packers, I'm glad to see some smaller-city teams survive. And hopefully, as we've discussed, both the Pack and the Eskimos are owned by the city residents; something that I wish happened more in OTL (it would certainly stop team migrations!).

Now, if only we can hope that Eskimo fan culture is less toxic and sad than Viking fan culture. Though the fact that they actually have WON the big game probably helps! (BOOM! Shots fired!)

Although I'm sure my In-Universe doppleganger would cringe at me for saying this: Go Eskimos!!!! Glad to see that Duluth is the one with the major Minnesota team and not the Twin Cities. Although I'm sure they have a rivalry with the Packers, I'm glad to see some smaller-city teams survive. And hopefully, as we've discussed, both the Pack and the Eskimos are owned by the city residents; something that I wish happened more in OTL (it would certainly stop team migrations!).

Now, if only we can hope that Eskimo fan culture is less toxic and sad than Viking fan culture. Though the fact that they actually have WON the big game probably helps! (BOOM! Shots fired!)
In a world with pro/rel and three tiers you'd have 60 or so teams. With no CSA there's going to be a LOT of small-ish towns with teams.

The 2022 Pro Rugby Association Championship Final was held on Saturday, May 28th, at Interstate Bank Stadium in San Diego, California. It was the 12th time San Diego had hosted the Championship Final, one less than Los Angeles, and the record 25th time the Final was held in the Southern California region; it was also the second time hte Final had been hosted at ISB Stadium since it was completed in 2018.

The match was contested between Duluth Eskimos and Cleveland Rams as the conclusion of the 2022 Championship Playoff. Cleveland entered the match as a heavy favorite, appearing in their first Championship Final in 22 years and seeking their seventh Championship Final title; they had ended the 2021-22 Championship second in the table behind New York Titans, who were duly awarded the Doritos Cup as regular-season champions, and Rams had mere weeks earlier won the 2022 US Open Cup, defeating Green Bay RFC 30-18. As the two seed, Rams enjoyed a bye in the first round of the Championship Playoff and in the Semifinal defeated Green Bay in their fourth meeting of the season, all won by Rams, to advance to the Final with a chance at earning a double. Traditionally midtable and 2nd Division Eskimos, meanwhile, were appearing in the Playoff for only the second time in club history, entering at the five seed; in the Quarterfinal, Eskimos narrowly beat San Francisco 49ers and the next weekend scored a major upset in taking down Titans to advance to their first-ever Championship Final. The game was thus a unique affair, in that recent powerhouse clubs were not participating in it (indeed, defending champions Seattle had inexplicably been in such poor form that they were relegated, a historic first), and it was an opportunity for an unexpected participant to face off with a traditional power that had been poor in recent seasons.

Favorite Rams were defeated 24-21 in a match in which they converted no tries and scored only penalties behind Irish international Johnny Sexton; Argentine Joel Scalvi of Eskimos scored the game-winning try and was named Man of the Match. The Eskimos won the Halas Cup for the first time in club history and only their second piece of Triple Crown-eligible silverware ever after the 1996 US Open Cup. It was thus the second straight season in which a US Open Cup winner was defeated in their quest for a double at the hands of a then-trophyless team and a Triple Split [1] was produced.

View attachment 822751

[1] It took everything in my power not to term this a "Three Way." Anyways, hopefully this entry gives y'all a taste of what this Alt-NFL that's more Europeanized via rugby looks and feels like...
Same Old Browns Rams

Duluth is indeed owned under a similar fan-based arrangement as Green Bay RFC (nickname - Packers), though the Twin Cities does have a rugby club
In a world with pro/rel and three tiers you'd have 60 or so teams. With no CSA there's going to be a LOT of small-ish towns with teams.
48 (three tiers of 16) but yes, you’re correct.

(Though I’m open to 20 in the 3rd League, that makes the math for the US Open Cup difficult)
Same Old Browns Rams
Hey now at least they’re winning silverware and have been to a title game since the 1960s! (They won in 2000 fwiw)

I wonder whether winning the cup brings the entire issue of naming to National attention more. (iOTL, the Edmonton Eskimos became the Edmonton Elks relatively recently over the problems with the word Eskimo (similar to the problems with Indian)

I wonder whether winning the cup brings the entire issue of naming to National attention more. (iOTL, the Edmonton Eskimos became the Edmonton Elks relatively recently over the problems with the word Eskimo (similar to the problems with Indian)
Probably not; the considerably higher hostility to Natives ITTL probably forecloses on American sports teams caring much about public opinion on the matter

Probably not; the considerably higher hostility to Natives ITTL probably forecloses on American sports teams caring much about public opinion on the matter
Why the higher hostility of Natives, do they feel that "Oklahoma" is gouging them on prices? (Also, in this case Duluth being called the Eskimos is almost as out of place as the San Diego State University teams being called the Aztecs)

Why the higher hostility of Natives, do they feel that "Oklahoma" is gouging them on prices? (Also, in this case Duluth being called the Eskimos is almost as out of place as the San Diego State University teams being called the Aztecs)
Just the Plains Wars were way uglier and while the US isn’t going Full Canada (both OTL/TTL) on its indigenous peoples it’s considerably harsher and more nakedly paternalist (a Lakota capping President Custer didn’t help).

So what I’m getting at is a White population that’s unfazed by teams called Indians, Eskimos, Redskins, etc, perhaps even thinking it a term of endearment into present day.

Just the Plains Wars were way uglier and while the US isn’t going Full Canada (both OTL/TTL) on its indigenous peoples it’s considerably harsher and more nakedly paternalist (a Lakota capping President Custer didn’t help).

So what I’m getting at is a White population that’s unfazed by teams called Indians, Eskimos, Redskins, etc, perhaps even thinking it a term of endearment into present day.
It is *really* hard getting my head around the fact that the US was "kinder" to its natives than the Canadians.

It is *really* hard getting my head around the fact that the US was "kinder" to its natives than the Canadians.
Certainly a point of debate. On the one hand, Wounded Knee, Trail of Tears etc.

On the other, what went on in Canada’s residential schools was some beyond bleak stuff, and deep into the *1980s* (!!!)

So what're the most popular sports in the contemporary CSA? If it's anything like the OTL South, I imagine college Rugby is #1 by far...
Oh, head and shoulders above all else. There’ll be a pro rugby league for the CSA/Texas but it’ll be a small thing compared to the collegiate game