Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

I just realized I derped mentally. I can't recall the proper name at this second but what I meant to ask is will the conference thing where the imperial dominions essentially gained de facto independence from actually being governed by London, will something like that happen?
The Imperial Conference of (I believe) 1934? Something like that should occur, yes.

I know what you’re all thinking - Swede, this is great, but this is really Canada-centric, what gives?

Well, domestic Canadian affairs are one of the few “present day” things I’ve really mapped out entirely other than fantasy transit systems and sports tournaments, hence me giving that more focus than I would otherwise. I’m meaning to get to some Texas content next, and I’m still on the fence about what direction to go with the 2023 Confederate election since a good point has been made a few times that the CSA might not necessarily keep its initial election cycles intact (though for simplicity I may just keep it as such)

I know what you’re all thinking - Swede, this is great, but this is really Canada-centric, what gives?

Well, domestic Canadian affairs are one of the few “present day” things I’ve really mapped out entirely other than fantasy transit systems and sports tournaments, hence me giving that more focus than I would otherwise. I’m meaning to get to some Texas content next, and I’m still on the fence about what direction to go with the 2023 Confederate election since a good point has been made a few times that the CSA might not necessarily keep its initial election cycles intact (though for simplicity I may just keep it as such)
Hey, Canadian affairs and fantasy transit systems are two of my jams, so I'm not complaining!

Hmm. I wonder Hows Belgium in 2023?

Last edited:

And yet I keep liking all the threadmarked posts here. So ha.

2024 FIFA World Cup Qualification - SportsNet.en
As the 2023 Confederations Cup kicks off tomorrow night in Manchester with a match between Great Britain and Australia, it also means we are less than a year from the kickoff of the 2024 FIFA World Cup, as Britain hosts the event for a record third time and seeks a fourth World Cup title at the same time that Mexico looks to defend its own silverware from 2020 with what would be an historic, record-extending sixth championship. So far, though, only Great Britain have qualified as hosts - and as the Confederations Cup starts up this week, so do qualifying matches restart tonight for the big show next year in a variety of confederations. What are some things to watch over the home stretch of these last five months as the odyssey of qualification draws to a close?

UEFA

France is in position to qualify with a win over Hungary this weekend, and would thus be the second team to make it to Britain with a mere three points; even with a draw or loss, it is statistically impossible for either France or Hungary not to advance to either the World Cup or the playoff. The rest of the picture is more muddled. Norway continues to top her group and could qualify for only the second time in her history, but faces a tricky game against Italy and a potential revenge game against Austria in qualifying's toughest group. Sweden has looked more pedestrian than usual and faces a genuine challenge from a good Croatia side nipping at her heels; how an aging Marcus Berg handles what is surely his last qualifying campaign will tell volumes. Rounding out major European sides, Netherlands, still riding high off their European championship, are in Britain for the Confederations Cup, but runners-up Spain look ready to take three points off Ireland tonight to set themselves up for qualification in the next match at the end of the month against Switzerland.

The biggest disappointment remains Germany, which sits mired at second in its group and needs at least a draw this weekend against Portugal to feel good about a light home stretch that features sides such as Malta and a mediocre Greece. After poor performances in both the 2020 World Cup and 2022 Euros, Germany needs to right the ship - now.

CONAFA

The Hex continues with a tight three-way clash at the top between USA, Texas and surprise performer CSA, and the latter two could take advantage of the spotlight as USA and Mexico have makeup games later this year to account for their time in Britain for the Confederations Cup. Andrew Luck and USA need a good performance in Britain to feel good about putting away the stubborn CSA in particular, which shocked on home soil in Chicago earlier this year, and behind ageless veteran Chris Paul and dazzling newcomer Collin Sexton has put the whole of CONAFA on notice. Mexico, meanwhile, languishing in fourth, will hope to leverage a recent run of superior results in friendlies into a confidence boost at Confederations Cup and press on into the meat of qualifying.

AFC

Unlikely for much drama here - Korea is in Britain, and Japan has a chance to punch its ticket with at least four points in the two late June games, and winning solely against Iran gives her the hot hand in the final stretch. On the other side of the qualifiers, Vietnam looks to continue her solid campaign by putting away China on Friday night and taking care of business against declining Kuwait thereafter and creating a much more challenging group for Korea to return to.

CONMEBOL

Brazil's absence in Britain is no problem for hot Argentina and Chile, which face off in Santiago Thursday before the Confederations Cup kicks off. Colombia needs a win at Uruguay on Saturday to feel comfortable about finishing in the top four places for qualifiers, what with Venezuela and Ecuador close behind. Besides Brazil's small but comfortable points bank at the top of the qualification table, this is one of the tightest CONMEBOL groups in recent memory and besides Argentina likely being in (as per usual and as one would expect for a defending World Cup runner-up) the next two automatic qualifiers could go to any of the four teams immediately behind her, realistically.

AFC and OFC

No qualifiers are scheduled for late June for either Confederation.

- 6/21/2023

Chris Paul would be a pretty good soccer player...at least until he either gets hurt or shits the bed in the knockout rounds of a tournament.
Even across the multiverses, an untimely Chris Paul injury/playoff chokejob remains a constant lol

(Especially since ITL volleyball is a smaller sport than OTL basketball, I’m finding NBA players who aren’t outrageously tall make excellent soccer analogues/inserts)

Even across the multiverses, an untimely Chris Paul injury/playoff chokejob remains a constant lol

(Especially since ITL volleyball is a smaller sport than OTL basketball, I’m finding NBA players who aren’t outrageously tall make excellent soccer analogues/inserts)
Allen Iverson would have been an all-time great soccer player ITTL. He's one of the best athletes of his era (in addition to his basketball success he was also a top-notch QB in high school) and his small stature (a bonus in soccer), insane agility and speed, "ballhandling," and fearless playing style means he'd probably be superb as an attacker.

Allen Iverson would have been an all-time great soccer player ITTL. He's one of the best athletes of his era (in addition to his basketball success he was also a top-notch QB in high school) and his small stature (a bonus in soccer), insane agility and speed, "ballhandling," and fearless playing style means he'd probably be superb as an attacker.
I forgot about AI! He would indeed be terrific on the pitch. He’d probably be first among the post-desegregation Black Confederate soccer players to make a big impact, and Chris Paul would take the torch from him afterwards

Looking north, I have some OTL NBA stars in mind (not LeBron lol) for the US men’s team that I’ll keep quiet until I do the writeup for the 2008 World Cup on US soil

Hmm. Clues in this...
An independent Croatia in 2024. Though whether in 1923 or 2023, not sure. :)
And CONAFA rather than CONCACAF... (No idea where Haiti (or for that matter the BVI play...(