Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

Just reread this and stumbled upon this. We know Texas leaves never to come back, which likely means that Kentucky, if indeed cleaved away in the GAW, either comes back or is replaced by some other state in order to make eleven.

Yeah, there's been a fair bit of talk about the Kentucky Free State (or whatever it ends up called) ending up as a failed state due to a multitude of factors and being eventually reabsorbed by the Confederacy - likely under Long. There's just a lot of dramatic potential there and it should make for some amazing storytelling! :)

Just reread this and stumbled upon this. We know Texas leaves never to come back, which likely means that Kentucky, if indeed cleaved away in the GAW, either comes back or is replaced by some other state in order to make eleven.

I think (I could be wrong) it's meant to be the Republic of Ireland.
I'm still hoping that "Kentucky" will consist of a rump eastern end of Pre-war Kentucky. (East of OTL I-75 and South of OTL I-64)
By the end of the war, there is likely to be more hand weaponry in Negro hands in Kentucky and Tennessee (everyone from those guarding the supply lines to actual Harlem Hellfighters) than is held by Confederate soldiers across the Confederacy.

Yeah, there's been a fair bit of talk about the Kentucky Free State (or whatever it ends up called) ending up as a failed state due to a multitude of factors and being eventually reabsorbed by the Confederacy - likely under Long. There's just a lot of dramatic potential there and it should make for some amazing storytelling! :)
Even a failed state would be difficult to take over. It will be close to a decade before the Confederacy isn't a failed state!

I'm still hoping that "Kentucky" will consist of a rump eastern end of Pre-war Kentucky. (East of OTL I-75 and South of OTL I-64)
By the end of the war, there is likely to be more hand weaponry in Negro hands in Kentucky and Tennessee (everyone from those guarding the supply lines to actual Harlem Hellfighters) than is held by Confederate soldiers across the Confederacy.
A US annexation of west KY would also serve as a convenient way to get the US up to 36 rather than 35 states (as IIRC the author was thinking of doing for aesthetic reasons). Although, I don't know if the people of the state would choose a different name upon annexation?

I can see Huey's deal with whatever Liberal POTUS is in charge in the '30s over KY being a defining aspect of that US president's term, with debate decades later on if it was the right move.

A US annexation of west KY would also serve as a convenient way to get the US up to 36 rather than 35 states (as IIRC the author was thinking of doing for aesthetic reasons). Although, I don't know if the people of the state would choose a different name upon annexation?

I can see Huey's deal with whatever Liberal POTUS is in charge in the '30s over KY being a defining aspect of that US president's term, with debate decades later on if it was the right move.
The derivation of the name Kentucky is a pretty confusing one with possibilities from three different native languages, so I'm guessing not.

The issue here is that you'd have to get the American public (the mid-1930s American public, mind you) on board with annexing a majority black polity, with all that that entails (voting rights, representation in congress, freedom of movement, etc.). I just can't see that going over well. There's going to be an enormous amount of pressure to keep West KY formally outside of the US.

The issue here is that you'd have to get the American public (the mid-1930s American public, mind you) on board with annexing a majority black polity, with all that that entails (voting rights, representation in congress, freedom of movement, etc.). I just can't see that going over well. There's going to be an enormous amount of pressure to keep West KY formally outside of the US.
I believe that the US has already had at least one black member of Congress.

Buckle your seatbelt
Even a failed state would be difficult to take over. It will be close to a decade before the Confederacy isn't a failed state!
Indeed

I do after all have a weird hangup about aesthetics that I have zero shame about haha
The derivation of the name Kentucky is a pretty confusing one with possibilities from three different native languages, so I'm guessing not.
Could eventually be the name of a “region” with two “Kentuckys” on paper, who knows
Oh most certainly
I believe that the US has already had at least one black member of Congress.
Though most of 1930s America would still not be favorable ground for Black congressmen or for absorbing such a polity, at least immediately

Buckle your seatbelt

Indeed

I do after all have a weird hangup about aesthetics that I have zero shame about haha

Could eventually be the name of a “region” with two “Kentuckys” on paper, who knows

Oh most certainly

Though most of 1930s America would still not be favorable ground for Black congressmen or for absorbing such a polity, at least immediately
Now I have the image of the Confederacy refusing to formalize relations until the US changes the name of the State from Kentucky to West Kentucky. (see OTL Macedonia)

I'm not saying that most Americans would *vote* for a Black congressman, but I could see the congressman for most of Cincinnati (for example) being Negro and just about everywhere else on the planet has an ethnic representative in New York City at this point. :) However, iOTL the first Negro congressman outside the south was Oscar Stanton De Priest in 1929 Chicago.

Sometimes I wonder if Paraguay is the only part of the planet more peaceful than OTL. However if TTL's Paraguay is OTL's Switzerland, what is TTL's Switzerland, OTL Rwanda????

A Stark Choice for the Confederate States

Michael Robbins is a fairly typical Georgia voter, especially in rural Coffee County - a devout Baptist, works in agriculture-related machinery repair, divorced with four children, and is warm and personable at the counter of a diner in his hometown of Douglas, where he has lived his entire life. Robbins is also precisely the kind of voter whom the two main candidates for the Presidential election on November 7th are hoping to sway - instinctually conservative and gettable by the right message, but suspicious of "politicians and their ilk," as he phrases it over a cup of black coffee and a plate of grits.

Just two weeks out from the polls, the 2023 Confederate election looks to be a coin flip - it shouldn't be. Over the last six years, President Doug Jones' United Center - a vaguely centrist, big-tent outfit with a strong center-left tradition - has governed prudently, cautiously and successfully. Economic growth in the Confederacy has been stronger than anywhere else on the North American continent; GDP per capita has increased almost 50% in five of the CSA's eleven states by official estimates. The country is experiencing a manufacturing renaissance, especially in light metals, electronics and increasingly machine goods. In cities like Richmond, Charlotte and Atlanta, cranes and construction crews are everywhere; the tourist industry in sunny Florida has never been stronger. The country's agricultural output has broken records of exports and their value. By any straightforward measure, United Center should be running away with the election, and its candidate - outgoing Mississippi Governor James "Jim" Hood - be considered the strong favorite.

But such measures are not straightforward, and Hood is in a close-run fight with the candidate of right-wing Christian Appeal, Al Mohler, a Baptist pastor with no previous electoral or government experience. Christian Appeal is aided by the decision of far-right National Renewal not to run a Presidential candidate, and Mohler has narrowly tied or trailed Hood in several polls, closing strong in the final month on a platform of stark social conservatism and vague, populist promises of patronage.

What explains the disconnect? Part is the increasing irrelevancy of the traditional center-right Citizens Party, which has never recovered from being associated with the devastation of Hurricane Kimberly in 2005 and the subsequent socioeconomic fallout; for the first time since its foundation in 1991, Citizens will not field a Presidential candidate, party leaders anticipate that it may have as few as ten Congressmen after the fall elections, less than the Black-interest Rainbow Coalition. Many former Citizens voters have already been absorbed into United Center, but that only tells half the story.

The other is that despite improving race relations, known colloquially as Reconciliation, since the Carter Protocol in 1992 and the end of de jure segregation in the mid-1990s thereafter, Black Confederates remain a distinct underclass; they on average make about half as much as white neighbors with similar profiles, and have an unemployment rate triple the national average and a poverty rate more than double, a staggering figure in a fairly poor country. Rainbow, the political movement for peace founded by Jesse Jackson, has been riven by infighting for years following the corruption prosecution of his namesake son, and conservative and progressive Black leaders have largely split, with many conservative Black voters open to voting for Christian Appeal.

This would be an alarming development - for the first time since Christian Appeal's emergence in the mid-1980s, the party has begun to abandon its commitment to Reconciliation. Former President Mike Huckabee, the only member of the party to win the office of chief executive, has suggested that Reconciliation "has been achieved" and "we should focus on other issues now;" those are not comforting words from the man who successfully built connections between white and Black Baptist conservatives across the Confederacy to make his two runs for the Presidency potent machines of religious organizing but also bridge strained communities post-electorally and set up well for the Jones era. Troublingly, many CA candidates have avoided condemning Renewal and its affiliated paramilitaries, many of which are explicitly religious-nationalist in nature and represent the Fellowship terrorist organization that reached such infamy at the turn of the Millennium.

The Confederacy, with its high birthrates and relatively young average age, has a growing population that is increasingly not emigrating abroad (or returns home after leaving) and also has less collective memory of the blood-soaked paramilitary violence of the 1980s and 1990s or the tragedies carried out by the Fellowship, much of which was drawn from paramilitary rank, years later. The peace that has dominated Confederate society and politics for the last twenty years is enduring but fragile, and the increasing unwillingness of CA to defend it for short-term political expediency is cause for concern. Hood's campaign has hit positive notes about economic growth and optimism ahead, but Black turnout is a mounting concern, especially with a push from several major Rainbow figures demanding a pardon or promise thereof for Jackson Jr. from Jones in the next two weeks before they hand over the keys to their political organization. Interesting times are ahead for the Confederate States...
Great job @KingSweden24 at picking up stuff other "confederacy continues into the modern day" writers seem to forget.

1) - You can't just handwave a two-party system with American-style positions on them. The left party would lose all the time.
2) - The South would likely be even more socially conservative without the more progressive north to influence society

Therefore, a party system in the CSA would have the right-leaning party at an unfair advantage, with the opposition having to work extra hard just to have a shot, even if (as appears to be the case with the Jones administration) they did a bang-up job during their time in governance.

Great job @KingSweden24 at picking up stuff other "confederacy continues into the modern day" writers seem to forget.

1) - You can't just handwave a two-party system with American-style positions on them. The left party would lose all the time.
2) - The South would likely be even more socially conservative without the more progressive north to influence society

Therefore, a party system in the CSA would have the right-leaning party at an unfair advantage, with the opposition having to work extra hard just to have a shot, even if (as appears to be the case with the Jones administration) they did a bang-up job during their time in governance.
Thanks! That’s definitely what I was going for. So much of Southern politics is based on its relationship with the North as an internal political foil (which is what “conservatism” in Dixie is still in many ways really about); without that, it’d have some fascinating directions, in part because it can’t rely on federal largesse from other states to boost its economy

Seattle Subway - Present and Future (Lines 14 and 15)
The shaky start of the Olympic System, and the focus on making piecemeal expansions to the extant lines finished upon its completion, has led to a notable lack of major capital invest in fully new line operations. The extensions to Redmond, Kirkland, Des Moines, Tukwila, and the Renton Landing were all done to tie existing lines into (or near to) emerging residential and commercial nodes or transportation infrastructure such as the Soundrail S-train system. After the Olmypics, new leadership in both Seattle and Olympia passed new, comprehensive transportation packages - to address intercity, regional and S-train rail rather than the subway, and STS placed focus on the bus network. By the time new bond authority was released to expand the network, a "circulator" streetcar in downtown and then streetcars up Beacon Hill and down Rainier Avenue were the choices instead, operating from the vicinity of the King Street Complex along Jackson Street rather than new rail tunnels for the Subway. The largest initiative, in fact, was to rebuild and expand many stations to integrate them into new developments adjacent, expand retail mezzanines, install modern escalators and other updates.

This changed with the 2015 agreement between STS and King County to develop two new lines starting in Issaquah, a suburb about 27 kilometers east of Seattle and a major, growing jobs and residential node. The first line, with stops on the south side of the I-90 freeway in downtown Issaquah, would then connect to the Eastgate neighborhood of Bellevue and the Sunset Mills redevelopment before splitting in two - Line 14 would then join the Downtown Bellevue line trackage, and Line 15 would continue west, towards Seattle and across the West Seattle Bridge, where it would split from the two current lines using that trackage into a new tunnel under central West Seattle, with stops at the West Seattle Triangle, Alaska Junction, and Juneau Street in a tunnel under California Avenue before extending down to the Washington State Ferries Fauntleroy terminal. Line 15 would thus connect the metropolitan area east-west, allowing one to ride from the last major suburb before the Cascades all the way to ferry services across the Puget Sound.

Controversy followed the choice to build this routing followed almost immediately. It was lost on few that Beacon Hill and Rainier Valley, two lower-income neighborhoods of the central city, were given streetcars that on some portions of the route were made to share the road with personal vehicles, while fully grade-separated Subway services were being sent to affluent areas such as Issaquah or West Seattle. Both Kirkland and Redmond wanted to be the end-point of the Line 14 route as well, to benefit from more frequent service, and downtown Bellevue would thus have a train every two minutes on the center of its trunk route.

STS eventually compromised with every other Line 14 train going to either Kirkland or Redmond rather than one or the other, and reworked their timetables to account for Line 14 opening earlier than Line 15 - on October 30, 2023, the train launched for the first time, with full revenue service beginning on November 3. Line 15 was more complicated - Seattle's frustration over the streetcar controversy made an issue and the tunneling under West Seattle was delayed in an eerie replay of the Olympic Lines, and the utility of extending service all the way to the ferry terminal and the necessary property acquisitions around Lenihan Park were raised. The line is currently expected to open in the spring of 2025, nearly eighteen months after originally planned, at which point riders disembarking from the ferry can ride with a single transfer to downtown Seattle, the airport, or the "secondary" regional downtown at Bellevue, or a host of other destinations.

--

Beyond Lines 14 and 15, it is unclear what exactly is next for STS. A program to refurbish twenty stations by 2030 is in the works, as is a pilot for driverless trains currently underway on the Capitol Hill Circulator (Line 6) that is staunchly opposed by the transit operators union but supported by a number of transit development organizations. The only planned extension is building out Line 12 further into Kirkland from its current Rose Hill terminus, likely to be completed by 2030-31 once final route approval is completed. Extensions further north in Richmond from the Westminster Triangle and further south from Highline College in Des Moines are considered high-priority for study; a brand-new Line 16 running east-west on 85th street as a secondary "cross-city line" has been proposed, but is regarded as a difficult project to approve and construct. Some advocates continue to suggest that investing more in Soundrail regional services that would allow higher frequencies, larger trains and better interconnection outside of King County is the better program to pursue, rather than having the Subway take on some S-train adjacent features; others note that the Seattle Subway, soon with fifteen lines and 138 stations, is a remarkably mature "system" by international standards for a metropolitan area of its size, even without taking into account the Soundrail lines, and that further pedestrianization and bicycle infrastructure in a city considered the national leader in such efforts is more important than further lines that already cover most places where they could reasonably be needed.

Which of course leads to following question: As of present day, are there any heavy rail rapid transit systems in the Confederacy? According to Wikipedia, iOTL USA, the metropolitan areas with heavy rail rapid transit are: San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta, Honolulu, Chicago, Baltimore, Boston, NYC (including PATH & Staten Island RR), Philadelphia (including PATCO) and San Juan, PR.
Two of those cities are in the Confederacy (I'm assuming that even if DC gets a subway system that everywhere the OTL Metro goes will be taken in the GAW peace treaty): Atlanta and Miami. The Author has indicated that Miami will be a *very* different city than iOTL so I'm really not sure there (and definitely not a Subway). Atlanta might, the other two cities that could be in the running based on importance are Richmond (if it is allowed to stay the National Capital (not where there is anything in the eu thread that says that definitively) and New Orleans. New Orleans, like Miami is definitely not doing a subway (You end up in Hell in the afterlife, your choices are helping with the Miami subway or the New Orleans subway). Richmond is *possible*, if it remains the national capital, it might.