Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

Maybe! I’ve always been curious personally about a Bo Jackson who sticks solely to baseball, and with rugby something of a white man’s game still by the 1980s maybe he goes that route instead

Its interesting that you mention that Rugby - at least until the 1970s - is seen as a richman's game, which is contrary to how Football was viewed in OTL during this time (though Football began as an 'elite' game associated with college campuses, it quickly took on a blue collar character in many urban settings by the 1930s and 40s, because many buisnesses and unions formed their own teams - these would often go on to become some of the earliest NFL teams, giving us teams such as the Packers [Meat Packers], Steelers [Steel workers] etc). I'm guessing that these working-class clubs dont form in the ATL: which leads one to wonder what the major blue collar game will be instead (I still regret we don't see GAA Hurling filling this role, because that would have been badass! :p ).

You also mention Ruby being a Whiteman's game which makes me wonder about the racial dimensions of sports in the Cinqo-verse. There are obviously a significantly smaller African-American and Latin-American populations in the ATL US. However, we know that there is a much larger Asian-American population instead. I wonder which sport Asian-Americans gravitate towards. My gut tells me baseball (I believe it was very popular in OTL Westcoast Asian communities), but do they face the same level of racial discrimination in sports that African-Americans did during this era? I.E. do we see an American Asian League for Baseball, or is this not neccesary?

If it is no problem, when can you fix that problem?
I want to see what you plan for Turkey regarding sports
Probably pretty soon, perhaps even today.
Its interesting that you mention that Rugby - at least until the 1970s - is seen as a richman's game, which is contrary to how Football was viewed in OTL during this time (though Football began as an 'elite' game associated with college campuses, it quickly took on a blue collar character in many urban settings by the 1930s and 40s, because many buisnesses and unions formed their own teams - these would often go on to become some of the earliest NFL teams, giving us teams such as the Packers [Meat Packers], Steelers [Steel workers] etc). I'm guessing that these working-class clubs dont form in the ATL: which leads one to wonder what the major blue collar game will be instead (I still regret we don't see GAA Hurling filling this role, because that would have been badass! :p ).

You also mention Ruby being a Whiteman's game which makes me wonder about the racial dimensions of sports in the Cinqo-verse. There are obviously a significantly smaller African-American and Latin-American populations in the ATL US. However, we know that there is a much larger Asian-American population instead. I wonder which sport Asian-Americans gravitate towards. My gut tells me baseball (I believe it was very popular in OTL Westcoast Asian communities), but do they face the same level of racial discrimination in sports that African-Americans did during this era? I.E. do we see an American Asian League for Baseball, or is this not neccesary?
Working class clubs will form - that’s how the PRA has three tiers, after all - it’s just that until the 1960s/70s, college rugby remains head and shoulders the bigger draw over the pro game.

The working class sport you’re looking for, then, is football - OTL’s soccer.

I’d imagine you’d have some Asian American League of some kind out west (Vancouver had a famously dominant Japanese club named Asahi for instance) but eventually you’d have Asians and black Americans playing baseball in the US with little issue, at least. Pro baseball in the CSA would likely be highly segregated for some time

Probably pretty soon, perhaps even today.

Working class clubs will form - that’s how the PRA has three tiers, after all - it’s just that until the 1960s/70s, college rugby remains head and shoulders the bigger draw over the pro game.

The working class sport you’re looking for, then, is football - OTL’s soccer.

I’d imagine you’d have some Asian American League of some kind out west (Vancouver had a famously dominant Japanese club named Asahi for instance) but eventually you’d have Asians and black Americans playing baseball in the US with little issue, at least. Pro baseball in the CSA would likely be highly segregated for some time
While they aren't that old iOTL, would be *quite* fun to have the farm team for Cincinnati Ohio to be in Louisville, Kentucky. :)

In addition baseball, how long until the CSA actually has Blacks on the *national* teams in Olympic and Olympic adjacent sports.

Ranking the 2024 FIFA World Cup Field (1-10)
(Issue with Turkey fixed on previous page)

10. Italy - Between 2015 and 2021, one could make an argument that Italy was, consistently, one of the top three teams on the planet on any given day, and their failing to collect any hardware for their troubles remains one of the great tragedies of the recent sport, with second-place finishes at the 2016 World Cup and 2018 UEFA Euros, followed by bronze at the 2019 Confederations Cup. Crashing out early at both the 2020 World Cup and 2022 Euros suggested that the reign was coming to an end, however, and now Italy is faced with the horrifying tragedy of the death of star winger Daniele Paolini last month in a car accident in Milan at the age of 27, ending prematurely one of the most exciting careers in world football since he burst onto the scene as the Best Young Player at France '16. Ciro Immobile remains an absolute stud as both team captain and now the all-time scoring leader, but he will badly miss Paolini's creativity and speed on the right next summer, and despite it not being the fault of the Azzurri, the loss of Paolini compels us to move them down quite a ways from where they could otherwise have ranked.
9. Brazil - The old joke in South America goes that Brazil and disappointment are synonyms in football, and unless Brazil is hosting the World Cup, that seems to largely hold true. Despite a wealth of talent over the last decade, and the comfort which Neymar, Richarlison and Vinicius Junior have together at the front, Brazil placed first in qualifying by only three points ahead of Argentina and then looked utterly lost in both the semifinals and third-place matches at the Confederations Cup, suffering their worst loss to Britain in history in dropping a 5-0 contest at Wembley where they coughed off four goals in the first half having already been beaten decisively by United States. There is tremendous talent in this group, no doubt about it, but Brazil has traditionally had shaky performances in Europe specifically - they have not advanced out of the group stage at a European World Cup since Italy '92 - and the atrocious knockout round display this past summer suggests that these issues have not been entirely resolved by the Selecao.
8. Spain - Spain's 2024 qualifying campaign went well but for a team that is looking ruefully at Netherlands and declaring publicly that Britain '24 is the "revenge tour" for their loss at home in Euro '22, it needed a little more pop, and this is definitely not the golden generation of the 2010-12 era. Nonetheless, Marco Asensio, Isco and Alvaro Morata have put together an excellent body of work as teammates and proven their capabilities as the key of the attack, though missing Borja Mayoral and Pedri for much of qualification hurt this team quite a bit. As such, due to the injury question and Spain's ho-hum start to the "revenge tour," they belong in the bottom half of the top ten, though this is certainly a group that should be thought to perform well when the time comes next summer.
7. Portugal - While it seems unlikely that Cristiano Ronaldo will join Portugal at Britain '24 - the longtime captain and scoring leader will be 39 and his play has dropped off dramatically in the last nine years thanks to a variety of debilitating injuries starting with his torn ACL at Euro 2014 - Portugal may indeed not need him. The triad of Bruno Fernandes, Andre Silva and Bernardo Silva have been excellent for this group over the past year, helping Portugal forget their nightmare performance at the last World Cup and look like potential champions for the first time in history. Qualifying has also seen the young Joao Felix emerge as a reliable option as well, and indeed scored a goal in each of the last three qualifiers. This is a group with a wealth of talent to choose from and a reliable backline; it would not be an exaggeration to say that twenty years after the "golden generation" and ten years after Ronaldo's prime, this may be Portugal's most talented group ever taken to a World Cup.
6. Argentina - Argentina had a regular-time draw in the offing and hopes for a penalty kick miracle at Mexico '20 before Chicharito's 88th minute strike drove a dagger through their hearts, and while this group is arguably more balanced thanks to the emergence of players like Enzo Fernandez, Lorenzo Martines, and most importantly goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez, the Albiceleste are still a team dependent on their ability to score through Angel Correa, Angel Di Maria, Paolo Dybala andLionel Messi. The issue, of course, is that Di Maria is unlikely to be selected for the team next summer, and while its unlikely Messi is dropped if he wants to play, he will turn 37 at the tournament and has looked very mortal since turning thirty. Argentina's reliance on older scorers may be its downfall; but the talent in backline and in midfield will support the aging core as well as it can, and despite falling painfully short against Brazil in the Copa America in 2022 on penalties, this group has more experience and skill to make a deep run.
5. Hungary - A shocking inclusion this high, considering that they are not in the first pot and placed second in their qualifying group? Perhaps, but also perhaps not. Jozsef Szabo remains the world's most electric player, having two Ballons d'Or in as many years and having proved through qualifying as well as club play why he is regarded as the most exciting young player in the sport. He is supported by one of Europe's best defenders in Milan Skriniar and paired up top with Robert Mak, with the midfield triad of Adam Nagy, Dominik Szoboszlai and Zsolt Kalmar anchoring the 4-4-2 formation that has been utterly deadly since it burst onto the scene at Euro '22 and managed to fight its way to fourth place. This team is now older, more experienced, and has played longer together as a core, and lethal striker substitute Robert Sallai should be back from repeated injuries by this summer. The Mighty Magyars are still coming together as a team; when they do, watch out.
4. France - Speaking of teams that can ruefully look at the 2015-21 era and wonder how they don't have a championship is France, but France has the advantage over Italy of being A) younger, B) more talented and C) having not embarrassed itself in the last two major tournaments, indeed collecting yet another bronze medal at Euro '22. The "Bronze Generation" epithet is an unpopular one with Les Bleus but after the European Cup run of Paris this past year, signs are pointing to a group that has gelled well together and looks ready to make a deep run across the Channel. Captain Olivier Giroud remains an ageless talent (there's a lot of those headed to Britain) but he has excellent young support across the board, especially with the emergence of Florian Thauvin as Antoine Griezmann's favored strike partner up top. France is amongst the favorites of the tournament and another semifinal run is a bare minimum expectation; the stars are certainly aligned for this group to make a last hurrah and get that second star they've waited a hundred and eight years for, though.
3. USA - Plain and simple, this is probably the best USA team ever fielded, powered by the right leg of Andrew Luck and a defense and midfield emerging into its own. In the last year, Lonnie Walker, Tyler Adams and Dante DiVicenzo have emerged as one of the most fearsome groups in the world, and Christian Pulisic remains a reliable option alongside Luck to score from the right. Set aside that USA's best performances have come in the Americas - bronze medals at Argentina '88 and Mexico '20, silver at Mexico '60, and of course the lone championship on home soil in 2008 - and consider that USA has only lost one game in the last calendar year, that being to Netherlands in a penalty shootout heartbreaker this past July at the Confederations Cup. Spain may have the "revenge tour," but it is USA that has some of the best players in the world finally playing together consistently at the same time, and this generation is unlikely to accept just taking another bronze when they could join Argentina as the only Western Hemispheric sides to win a championship in Europe.
2. Britain - It has been forty-four years since Britain, the birthplace of the sport, won a World Cup, now beating the 1924-64 drought between the Lions’ first and second championships. That this makes Britain supporters anxious is of course no secret, made worse by talented sides in 1992, 2000 and especially 2008 failing to win when they arguably could have or should have been the favorites. What makes Britain No.2 on our list, then? The record of hosts since 1988, for starters; only three times (1996, 2012, 2016) has the World Cup host failed to raise the trophy, and two of those hosts were Japan and China, not exactly heartlands of the game. Britain has only once lost a senior men’s tournament on home soil, at that - and that was this summer’s Confederations Cup. Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling and Andy Robertson head the lineup but the talented generation of youngsters that won the 2017 U-17 and 2021 U-20 FIFA and UEFA titles are now integrated into the team, featuring names like Jude Bellingham, Phil Foden, and Rhian Brewster. Hopefully, the bronze placement in July was just growing pains. This British side carries the hopes and dreams of a country, and there is every expectation that it is British hands holding up that trophy at holy Wembley.
1. Netherlands - What more needs be said? Who else to rank here? The last time the Oranje lost a match was against United States at the 2020 FIFA World Cup. They have taken full points in their last two qualification campaigns and won back-to-back Nations League titles, a feat not even achieved by the German dynasty of the 2010s. They are the defending European champions and punctuated that with brilliance at the Confederations Cup. They sport not one but two Ballon d’Or winners in Kevin de Bruyne and Virgil van Dijk, and one of the most exciting young talents in the world in Frenkie de Jong. They have been ranked No. 1 in the world for over two years, the longest such stretch since the conclusion of Germany’s run. And they are looking eerily familiar to the Spain side that won a Euro, a Confederations Cup, and a World Cup in that order. For a team that just six years ago looked adrift having missed both the 2016 World Cup and the 2018 Euros and was wasting the primes of de Bruyne and van Dijk, it’s been a remarkable turnaround, and it is time to fulfill that promise. It is title or bust in Amsterdam, and for good reason. Can they take that pressure, which has felled some many great Oranje teams before? Time will tell.

27. Turkey - The Red Moons are back in the World Cup after a twenty-four year absence, the longest interregnum of any non-debutant at Britain '24 after only Norway and only their third World Cup since 1988 and fourth in history, a surprising statistic considering the talent that the Turks have often produced. Xherdan Shaqiri remains the dogged, reliable star up front and Hakan Calhonoglu is an outstanding captain in the midfield who has collected plenty of silverware with Inter Milan. Turkey looked decent, though hardly world-conquering, in qualifiers and expectations for their advancing out of knockouts for the first time in team history will be nonexistent, giving them the opportunity to play loose, fun football on behalf of their loyal and obsessive fans back home that should appeal to neutrals unfamiliar with a raft of talented young up-and-comers from the Superliga; just don't expect to see these high-scoring but defensively porous Red Moons after the group stage.
TURKEY!
TURKEY!!
TURKEY!!!

As someone who does not understand football at all but now main things, you pretty much captured our football scene, it seems like. We have lots of talented football players, but our (national team's) biggest success in the international area was getting third place in 2003 (I think?) World Cup, which is something that is getting a joke at this point.
Our football fans are indeed extremely loyal to their team, though they are unified every four years thanks to the World Cups.

Also, from what I got, we at least keep part of the Balkans, as Xherdan Shaqiri is apparently from Kosovo, which means that, at the very least, we hold to the Macedonia region as a whole, with the possible inclusion of Bulgaria, Albania, and other parts we did not lose thanks to a better situation.
Also, it seems like we have ties with the Superliga, which is... German?
(Also, as a final note, I can help you with creating future stuff regarding Turkey if you want. @KingSweden24)

Don't know who I feel worse for in 2023- Belgium (which de jure isn't an independent country anymore) or Uruguay (which de facto isn't an independent country anymore)

@KingSweden24 these are fun man!
Thanks!
TURKEY!
TURKEY!!
TURKEY!!!

As someone who does not understand football at all but now main things, you pretty much captured our football scene, it seems like. We have lots of talented football players, but our (national team's) biggest success in the international area was getting third place in 2003 (I think?) World Cup, which is something that is getting a joke at this point.
Our football fans are indeed extremely loyal to their team, though they are unified every four years thanks to the World Cups.

Also, from what I got, we at least keep part of the Balkans, as Xherdan Shaqiri is apparently from Kosovo, which means that, at the very least, we hold to the Macedonia region as a whole, with the possible inclusion of Bulgaria, Albania, and other parts we did not lose thanks to a better situation.
Also, it seems like we have ties with the Superliga, which is... German?
(Also, as a final note, I can help you with creating future stuff regarding Turkey if you want. @KingSweden24)
Whoops I meant "Super Lig" (with umlaut of course)

At least some of the Balkan territories you describe will, indeed, remain part of the OE/Turkey. How much exactly will be forthcoming.

Don't know who I feel worse for in 2023- Belgium (which de jure isn't an independent country anymore) or Uruguay (which de facto isn't an independent country anymore)
Uruguay - Belgium is much more the direct cause of their own mess, Uruguay is a victim of a neighbor's imperialist ambitions.

Uruguay - Belgium is much more the direct cause of their own mess, Uruguay is a victim of a neighbor's imperialist ambitions.
A neighbor who more or less got away with those ambitions to boot. Then again, if you asked any of the hundreds of thousands of grieving Brazilian widows and mothers if they're happy Uruguay is a Brazilian satrapy they'd probably say no.

4. France - Speaking of teams that can ruefully look at the 2015-21 era and wonder how they don't have a championship is France, but France has the advantage over Italy of being A) younger, B) more talented and C) having not embarrassed itself in the last two major tournaments, indeed collecting yet another bronze medal at Euro '22. The "Bronze Generation" epithet is an unpopular one with Les Bleus but after the European Cup run of Paris this past year, signs are pointing to a group that has gelled well together and looks ready to make a deep run across the Channel. Captain Olivier Giroud remains an ageless talent (there's a lot of those headed to Britain) but he has excellent young support across the board, especially with the emergence of Florian Thauvin as Antoine Griezmann's favored strike partner up top. France is amongst the favorites of the tournament and another semifinal run is a bare minimum expectation; the stars are certainly aligned for this group to make a last hurrah and get that second star they've waited a hundred and eight years for, though.
No mention of Mbappe. Interesting. Some butterflies of the 20th century did their work.
6. Argentina - Argentina had a regular-time draw in the offing and hopes for a penalty kick miracle at Mexico '20 before Chicharito's 88th minute strike drove a dagger through their hearts, and while this group is arguably more balanced thanks to the emergence of players like Enzo Fernandez, Lorenzo Martines, and most importantly goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez, the Albiceleste are still a team dependent on their ability to score through Angel Correa, Angel Di Maria, Paolo Dybala andLionel Messi. The issue, of course, is that Di Maria is unlikely to be selected for the team next summer, and while its unlikely Messi is dropped if he wants to play, he will turn 37 at the tournament and has looked very mortal since turning thirty. Argentina's reliance on older scorers may be its downfall; but the talent in backline and in midfield will support the aging core as well as it can, and despite falling painfully short against Brazil in the Copa America in 2022 on penalties, this group has more experience and skill to make a deep run.
I wonder if Messi is as good in this timeline as in real life. Who is the coach of this team by the way? Scaloni like OTL?

No mention of Mbappe. Interesting. Some butterflies of the 20th century did their work.

I wonder if Messi is as good in this timeline as in real life. Who is the coach of this team by the way? Scaloni like OTL?
The OTL French side in particular has the issue of many of its players being a very mixed group of Francophonie origin, and Mbappe being Cameroonian-Algerian simply wouldn’t be likely ITTL. I call this the “Obama Effect”

Messi is good, but probably more Luka Modric good than “same breath as Pele and Maradona” good

2023 Rose Bowl Playoff Quarterfinal Preview
2023 Rose Bowl Playoff Quarterfinal Preview

With the Play-in Round done over the weekend - and some thrilling results with three of four seeded teams earning wins at home - we preview the next four matches with the First Four now included as participants in the round.

(3) Iowa vs. (6) Notre Dame - 19:00 EST, Friday 12/8

Notre Dame gets the privilege of another Friday night showcase to demonstrate what it can do after dispatching Iowa's conference rival Missouri last week, but this time it goes on the road to do so rather than the warm confines of home ground in South Bend. Iowa City is an extremely difficult place for opposition to play and the Hawkeyes have among the best forwards in the sport, though Notre Dame will hope that backs Darren Traylor and James Hopkins have some room to run and that Iowa City doesn't get hit by inclement weather, as just now looks likely for this weekend. Iowa has a habit of playing up or down to its opposition even as it scrapes out wins, and Notre Dame will be a stiff test for a group that has had some questions about exactly how good the Heartland League was this year even with Missouri taking an unseeded spot behind them.

(1) Michigan vs. (10) Oregon - 13:00 EST, Saturday 12/9

The top seed in the Rose Bowl Playoff for the third season in a row and undefeated for the second straight season, Michigan prepares to take on Oregon, who bid farewell to the Ivy League's participation in the Rose Bowl Championship in a familiar way - with the Ivy hosts losing at home in the Play-in as little more than a speedbump. Michigan will pose an altogether tougher test, though Oregon looks ready to play; they have won in the Big House the last two times they have played in Ann Arbor, both as non-league regular season matches. The defending champions will have taken advantage of two weeks' rest and will go as far as Blake Corum and JJ McCarthy take them - no team has won back-to-back titles since Wisconsin's threepeat of the early 2010s, and Michigan wants to breathe that hallowed air more than anybody.

(4) Penn State vs. (5) Arizona - 16:30 EST, Saturday 12/9

A very credible argument could be made that the Wildcats deserved a bye last weekend rather than the Nittany Lions, who have looked a step off from their pace of last year but nonetheless but together a fine regular season and won the Northeast Athletic League once again. Arizona and Heisman contender Bijan Robinson took care of business Saturday night in a surprisingly comprehensive beatdown of Oregon State in Tucson and now jet across the country for a famed "White Out" at Beaver Stadium. Our sense is that you'd probably rather be Arizona - this group seems special - but never count out Penn State at home ground, where they have never lost a quarterfinal match since the creation of the current format in 1994.

(2) Washington vs. (8) DePaul - 20:00 EST, Saturday 12/9

Dillon Johnson, Rome Odunze and the Washington Huskies play host to DePaul, whom they have never before faced in a collegiate rugby match, as the Catholic Athletic League's final Rose Bowl Playoff representative made its fellow small-school brethren proud with a last-second placekick to upset Ohio State on a raucous Saturday afternoon at home in Chicago. The Blue Demons played in five straight playoffs in the early 1990s, including advancing to the 81st Rose Bowl to lose to Penn State as the only CAL member to ever make it past the semifinal, to be the definition of small school success in the Rose Bowl Championship, so it is fitting that they head to one last quarterfinal as a swan song. To get past the mighty Huskies, playing with revenge on their mind, would be unlikely, but there is much to play for and little to lose on DePaul's part in Seattle.

Dillon Johnson, Rome Odunze and the Washington Huskies play host to DePaul, whom they have never before faced in a collegiate rugby match, as the Catholic Athletic League's final Rose Bowl Playoff representative made its fellow small-school brethren proud with a last-second placekick to upset Ohio State on a raucous Saturday afternoon at home in Chicago. The Blue Demons played in five straight playoffs in the early 1990s, including advancing to the 81st Rose Bowl to lose to Penn State as the only CAL member to ever make it past the semifinal, to be the definition of small school success in the Rose Bowl Championship, so it is fitting that they head to one last quarterfinal as a swan song. To get past the mighty Huskies, playing with revenge on their mind, would be unlikely, but there is much to play for and little to lose on DePaul's part in Seattle.
Awkward weekend in the Curtain Jerker house as Mrs. Jerker is a Ohio State fan by virtue of living in Columbus for a few years in the mid-90s x'D

On a more serious note, it seems that in the Cinco-verse things mirror the real world: the money has created a few leagues of haves and everyone else is a have-not. Difference here it seems like that the small D1 schools have peaced out and decided to form their own league, whereas in OTL small schools are sticking around in D1.

Great update!
I was holding out hope, but I have a sinking feeling that whatever curse was placed on Nebraska Football OTL somehow extends to Nebraska Rugby TTL.

Awkward weekend in the Curtain Jerker house as Mrs. Jerker is a Ohio State fan by virtue of living in Columbus for a few years in the mid-90s x'D

On a more serious note, it seems that in the Cinco-verse things mirror the real world: the money has created a few leagues of haves and everyone else is a have-not. Difference here it seems like that the small D1 schools have peaced out and decided to form their own league, whereas in OTL small schools are sticking around in D1.
Oooof yeah maybe don’t have the TV on this weekend TTL 😂

Sorta, yeah. The CAL and Ivy League basically deduce they’re just glorified playoff exhibitions and the Big Six leagues in the Rose Bowl Championship division want more playoff spots so an amicable divorce after decades of increasing stratification make sense
Great update!
I was holding out hope, but I have a sinking feeling that whatever curse was placed on Nebraska Football OTL somehow extends to Nebraska Rugby TTL.
Oh it extends here and might indeed be even worse

2024 FIFA World Cup Draw Analysis - SportsNet.en
2024 FIFA World Cup Draw - Analysis

The draw is done and the groups are set, with Britain and Sweden set to kick off the 2024 World Cup next June and eight exciting groups on offing. Who got a difficult draw into a classic 'Group of Death,' and who has an easy road to the final at Wembley? We assess!

Group A

Hosts have a history of getting draws that range from favorable to suspiciously easy, and Britain's lands somewhere between those two, less for its group draw specifically and more about how the strongest opposition - especially France, Netherlands and United States - have been safely squirreled away in the other half of the bracket if they win their groups. In addition to kicking off against a Sweden that barely scraped into the World Cup, Britain will close its group stage with Newfoundland, enjoying its first appearance at a World Cup and nobody quite sure what they will accomplish. That being said, this is not a slouchy group - anybody who has historically played Sweden in a World Cup can attest to that, and Newfoundland took out arguably stronger teams on paper in the Hex - especially with reigning African champions Morocco in the mix as the second match of the group.
Predictions: Britain, Morocco, Sweden, Newfoundland

Group B

There is arguably no such thing as an easy group, and Portugal in Group B may find that out. As strong as Portugal has been the last few years after their 2020 World Cup disaster, and with their stacked talent, they face tricky matchups starting with Ireland's rugged defense in their opening match in Glasgow and their closer with Confederate States, who have looked unusually sharp. With the exception of South Africa, who got an extremely tough draw with the other three teams, any of these sides could realistically advance into the Knockouts.
Predictions: Portugal, CSA, Ireland, South Africa

Group C

Brazil is a top ten ranked team for good reason, but their performance six months ago at the Confederations Cup and their poor history on European soil would suggest that despite being in arguably the most open group at this World Cup, Brazil could well struggle. Opening with hot Norway will set the pace for how Brazil performs in the rest of the group stages, and while we'd think that this may be the year they break the trend since 1992 of not getting into the knockouts in Europe, its hard to say how the rest of a group that includes an uneven Switzerland and good but inexperienced Vietnam shakes out. This will probably be the most intriguing group to watch by far - anything is possible here.
Predictions: Norway, Brazil, Switzerland, Vietnam

Group D

While there are two groupings we'd call "Groups of Death" ahead of this one, this is still an extremely even and tough group featuring not just No. 3 France but also their traditional rivals Germany, who they face off with in their first match in London in what will be a huge event. Ecuador, for its part, oozes talent but got a very unfavorable draw compared to fellow South Americans Chile or the CSA, and they could be well placed to spring an upset on uneven Germany. Kamerun, a good African side that did well twenty-four years ago in Germany '00, could make some noise, but we'd expect them to round out the bottom of a group that should see some thrilling matches.
Predictions: France, Germany, Ecuador, Kamerun

Group E

Like Group C, while one would typically expect a Pot 1 team to take first position, Spain and Hungary are so even - and get to face each other in their first match of the tournament, in Manchester - that either of them could take first pole. Our thinking is that deep and talented Hungary, especially with Jozsef Szabo still up top, has the narrow edge, but its a steep drop off after that to Liberia's Tim Weah show and Venezuela, which narrowly pipped Colombia to its spot here. That first match between Venezuela and Liberia could indeed be for who gets third place in group and takes points, because the European powers drawn against each other similarly to Group D will likely be unforgiving.
Predictions: Hungary, Spain, Liberia, Venezuela

Group F

Netherlands is, quite obviously, the best team in the world and will probably not lose a single match in this group. Who gets second place is what will be interesting to watch; Turkey and Chile are fine sides but certainly not high talents, though both have surprised to the upside the last two years by qualifying. What will be tough is seeing them potentially get past one of the best Korea sides in recent memory; the Red Tigers hope to replicate the performance of their countrymen sixty years ago, who in Britain advanced to the semifinals as the first AFC national team to accomplish such. Netherlands looks unstoppable and as the early favorites, but Korea is likely to join them in the next round with such a favorable draw.
Predictions: Netherlands, Korea, Chile, Turkey

Group G

It is hard to think of a more brutal group than this one - Mexico, Argentina, Italy and Iran. Who, exactly, do you leave out? Mexico is the defending World Cup champion and Argentina is the defending runner-up. Neither have had the same form they did entering 2020 or at that tournament, but both are extremely talented groups still (though Mexico has looked shakier more recently). Iran is a defensive juggernaut that is almost impossible to score on. Italy is, well, Italy, even if they are a shade of their former selves from the late 2010s. Our best guess is to give the nod to the Europeans in Europe and then Argentina, but this is the Group of Death of this tournament, and there's no combination - even Iran advancing - that would surprise us.
Predictions: Italy, Argentina, Mexico, Iran

Group H

This is not as stacked of a group as G, but USA and Australia - both continental champions - will have tough matches with a good Japan led by Ryuji Yamada's lethal right foot as well as the strong Croatians, who will want to prove they belong still at this level. USA have to be considered the favorites in this group for now, but Chris Wood and the Kickaroos will have something to say about that, and no side in this group is weak.
Predictions: USA, Australia, Japan, Croatia