Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

If England joins Japan and Holland in the Iberian-Japanese War what could it gain from it?
Presumably some land, maybe some trade expansion. Either way, Japan understands enough of the Protestant-Catholic political dynamic to
How entrenched was Catholicism in The Philippines by the mid 17th Century?
I believe Catholicism had begun to consolidate its hold on the Visayas and the lowlands of Luzon but the Luzon highlands, scattered islands, and especially Mindanao were very far from conversion.

Presumably some land, maybe some trade expansion. Either way, Japan understands enough of the Protestant-Catholic political dynamic to

I believe Catholicism had begun to consolidate its hold on the Visayas and the lowlands of Luzon but the Luzon highlands, scattered islands, and especially Mindanao were very far from conversion.
Perhaps - Japan can put into use its Kirishitan daimyo to administrate whatever Christian locales that will fall under its control.

Last edited:
What is Kirishitan daimyo attitude towards buddhism and shinto? Are they no longer wish to perform various ritual or show respect towards such Faiths
I imagine that as time goes on you could get Kirishtan daimyos who still participate in public Buddhist or Shinto-derived rituals and tolerate other faiths. There’s precedent for that in the Muslim population of China: despite their beliefs, they could be accommodating to others especially where national unity was concerned.

I imagine that as time goes on you could get Kirishtan daimyos who still participate in public Buddhist or Shinto-derived rituals and tolerate other faiths. There’s precedent for that in the Muslim population of China: despite their beliefs, they could be accommodating to others especially where national unity was concerned.
To piggyback off your comment, to the best of my knowledge for many pradticioners of Eastern faiths the practice of their faith was/is not exclusive. So for Christian daimyos, it would not be unlikely that he sees no conflict between paying respects to his ancestors and his Sunday church attendance or personal belief in Jesus as saviour.

Basically it's not necessarily either/or for them.

To piggyback off your comment, to the best of my knowledge for many pradticioners of Eastern faiths the practice of their faith was/is not exclusive. So for Christian daimyos, it would not be unlikely that he sees no conflict between paying respects to his ancestors and his Sunday church attendance or personal belief in Jesus as saviour.

Basically it's not necessarily either/or for them.
I'd think pious Christian daimyos would still pay some sort of respect to their ancestors but not offer incense and food items and clothes to the dead and observe the festivitals where they go to pay respect to the dead.

I'd think pious Christian daimyos would still pay some sort of respect to their ancestors but not offer incense and food items and clothes to the dead and observe the festivitals where they go to pay respect to the dead.
would seem like a reasonable compromise to me.

And they'd also be likely to see Spain as a hostile foreign power that goes against the interests of their clan and geopolitical interests as a whole.

And they'd also be likely to see Spain as a hostile foreign power that goes against the interests of their clan and geopolitical interests as a whole.
During this period, the Spanish often saw Christians as potential collaborators. I can't imagine many Japanese Christians would even consider that prospect. But if you get an idiot like Omura Sumitada, then it could cause a lot of problems for the rest.

Last edited:
would seem like a reasonable compromise to me.
Yep skip the sacrifice bits and it'd be alright.
Tbf they'd have to if they want to keep their heads on their shoulders.
During this period, the Spanish often saw Christians as potential collaborators. I can't imagine many Japanese Christians would even consider that prospect. But if you get an idiot like Omura Sumitada, then it could cause a lot of problems for the rest.
I'd see the Spanish get a rude awakening from the Spanish Japanese war. I'd also see the Japanese Kirishitans become more protestent due to their alliance with the Dutch.

What is Kirishitan daimyo attitude towards buddhism and shinto? Are they no longer wish to perform various ritual or show respect towards such Faiths
Before unification, many Kirishitan daimyo tore down Buddhist temples and replaced them with Catholic churches and mass conversion took place in parts of Kyushu. However, Nobunaga prohibited these actions in 1587 in the spirit of religious tolerance while also permitting the spread of Christianity across the entire realm. Some Kirishitan daimyo obviously still practice favoritism towards Christianity in 1630.

They'd probably pray for their ancestors.

Map of Daimyo 1630

Map of Daimyo 1630​

Ea0F39747dZYTRlArEA4bgLpLNHt4zl7tnomieaNZtDIrnSfvgbe3f21AaHZ1iNi3sz-wf-mXzG8M0Sr4LZ2PlvP5Ie5th36Jv24wJ_KWkh25uDf9o0NKDBFHs1laNOMtx7oDd-DD9nle_bpl-GtZ8e3NpLXXydXU7XJT3rwqNK0IWwy1ER2zqoofxCiMA

Category I: Oda clan blood members

A. Oda Toshimasa (織田利昌) 1575-
B. Oda clan main fiefs
C. Kitabatake Tomotoyo (北畠具豊) 1625-
D. Miyoshi Yasutaka (三好康孝) 1583-
E. Saionji Kinnori (西園寺公則) 1613-
F. Oda Naganori (織田長則) 1601-
G. Shimazu Nagahisa (島津長久): 1561-
Category II: Hereditary and direct vassals/fudai daimyo
  1. Mōri Tadakatsu (毛利忠勝) 1594-
  2. Tooyama Noritomo (遠山則友) 1609-
  3. Takigawa Kazutoshi (滝川一利) 1583-
  4. Mori Noriyoshi (森則可) 1601-
  5. Gamou Noritomo (蒲生則知) 1604-
  6. Kawajiri Shigenori (河尻鎮則) 1607-
  7. Inaba Michikatsu (稲葉通勝) 1598-
  8. Mizuno Katsunari (水野勝成) 1564-
  9. Sassa Katsuyuki (佐々勝之) 1568-
  10. Maeda Toshimasa (前田利政) 1578-
  11. Shibata Katsushige (柴田勝重) 1579-
  12. Anekouji Tadatsuna (姉小路忠綱) 1584-
  13. Kuki Moritaka (九鬼守隆) 1573-
  14. Nagaoka Tadaoki (長岡忠興) 1562-
  15. Asano Nagaakira (浅野長晟) 1586-
  16. Mori Tadamine (森忠峯) 1596-
  17. Seki Naritake (関成武) 1576-
  18. Sogo Masanori (十河存則) 1608-
  19. Murai Sadamasa (村井貞昌) 1586-
  20. Nakagawa Hisamori (中川久盛) 1594-
  21. Takayama Norifusa (高山則房) 1610-
  22. Ikeda Yoshinori (池田由則) 1605-
  23. Akechi Mitsutada (明智光忠) 1591-
  24. Niwa Nagashige (丹羽長重) 1571-
  25. Hashiba Hidemitsu (羽柴秀三) 1610-
  26. Miyabe Nagafusa (宮部長房) 1581-
  27. Ukita Nobuie (宇喜多信家) 1573- [1]
  28. Nanjo Mototada (南条元忠) 1579- [1]
  29. Hachisuka Iemasa (蜂須賀家政) 1558-
  30. Horio Noriharu (堀尾則晴) 1599-
  31. Ban Tomoharu (塙友治) 1592-
  32. Kuroda Noriyuki (黒田則之) 1602-
  33. Horiuchi Ujihiro (堀内氏弘) 1596-
Category III: Non-hereditary vassals/tozama daimyo
a. Tsugaru Nobuhira (津軽信枚) 1586-
b. Nanbu Toshinao (南部利直) 1576-
c. Akita Sanesue (秋田実季) 1576-
d. Tozawa Masamori (戸沢政盛) 1585-
e. Shiba Akimori (斯波詮森) 1578-
f. Kasai Kiyotaka (葛西清高) 1571-
g. Sakuma Moritora (佐久間盛虎) 1617- [2]
h. Onodera Yoshimichi (小野寺義道) 1566-
i. Date Masamune (伊達政宗) 1567-
j. Mogami Yoshitoshi (最上義俊) 1605-
k. Ashina Morinori (蘆名盛則) 1613-
l. Nihonmatsu Yoshitsuna (二本松義綱) 1574-
m. Souma Yoshitane (相馬義胤) 1548-
n. Satake Yoshinobu (佐竹義宣) 1570-
o. Nasu Sukekage (那須資景) 1586-
p. Utsunomiya Yoshitsuna (宇都宮義綱) 1598-
q. Sano Hisatsuna (佐野久綱) 1600-
r. Oyama Toshitsune (小山利恒) 1595-
s. Minagawa Takatsune (皆川隆庸) 1581-
t. Oda Tsuneharu (小田経治) 1578-
u. Satomi Toshiteru (里見利輝) 1614-
v. Hojo Ujinobu (北条氏信) 1591-
w. Irobe Mitsunaga (色部光長) 1587-
x. Nagao Kageyasu (長尾景泰) 1604-
y. Tokugawa Tadayoshi (徳川忠康) 1595-
z. Takeda Nobumichi (武田信道) 1574-
aa. Kiso Yoshitoshi (木曽義利) 1577-
bb. Chosokabe Tadachika (長宗我部忠親) 1591-
cc. Kawano Michinori (河野通軌) 1576-
dd. Amago Norihisa (尼子則久): 1618-
ee. Tahara Chikaie (田原親家) 1561-
ff. Mōri Tadamoto (毛利忠元) 1595-
gg. Otomo Chikamori (大友親盛) 1567-
hh. Ryuzōji Noriie (龍造寺則家) 1605-
ii. Matsura Takanobu (松浦隆信) 1592-
jj. Sou Yoshinari (宗義成) 1604-
kk. Omura Suminobu (大村純信) 1618-
ll. Arima Naozumi (有馬直純) 1586-

Ezo: Kakizaki Kinhiro (柿崎公広) 1599-

Beige: Minor lords

[1]: I screwed up, he should be in Category III.

[2]: He should be in Category II.

Last edited:
Chapter 34: Iberian-Japanese War Part I - Deliberation and Mobilization

Chapter 34: Iberian-Japanese War Part I - Deliberation and Mobilization

Nobutomo’s first major decision as daijo-daijin was unprecedented among all of his predecessors, including historical shoguns, emperors, and ancient leaders of Japan. However, for someone like him it was unsurprising, considering he had previously organized a coup and saw himself as the heir of Nobunaga’s vision and legacy perhaps more than his father or grandfather ever did. This vision and personality would define his 21 year tenure, one marked by bloodshed not seen since the unification of the realm.

Early in 1631, Nobutomo laid out his thoughts and decisions on the upcoming war effort to his councilors and stated that Spain’s significant presence in the region needed to be suppressed and Japanese sovereignty and authority asserted, noting Spanish meddling in Siamese court politics and the more troubling details of the Manila-Madrid letters. To accomplish this bigger goal, he declared that the Spanish Philippines needed to be invaded. Predictably, Nobutomo faced pushback on this, with councilors like Sassa Katsuyuki and Niwa Nagashige concerned on the cost of mobilizing thousands of troops and then transporting them all the way to Bireitou and Luzon, the northernmost island of the Philippines. Meanwhile, noble and imperial representative Sanjonishi Saneeda urged the chancellor, as an appointed minister of the emperor, to receive imperial approval before justifying any military expeditions into lands outside of the claimed Yamato realm. Additionally, there was a fear that an overextension of land forces on unfamiliar ground would leave the main islands vulnerable to a Spanish-Portuguese amphibious invasion.

What shook off the fears and reluctance was Nagahisa’s speech. The 70 year old elder of the Sangi-shu challenged his younger peers on what his own father would’ve done, Nagahisa being the last surviving son of the late Oda Nobunaga. He spoke of the great unifier’s successes, from the Battle of Okehazama to the circumnavigation of the realm exile of the corrupt and reminded everyone that Nobunaga had always boldly met every threat and never stepped back from anything. With a thrust of energy, he declared, “My father the great Nobunaga’s ambition was not just to create a united realm of peace and prosperity, but to build a land that could match and even exceed the splendor and advancements of the southern barbarians!!” As the last words escaped his old, tired lungs and he slowly sat back down, an energized spirit could be felt in the room as nearly all were swayed by the Kyushu lord. Ever the pragmatist, Nobutomo would nevertheless proceed with obtaining the approval of the emperor in going behind Bireitou, albeit with a united front behind him, while he prepared for the initial assault on San Salvador and the navy for any engagements between Hakodate and the Luzon Straits.

Although imperial approval was obtained within days, Tadataka wasted no time and headed back to the island before news of it could reach him. In any case, Nobutomo appointed him as the supreme commander of Japanese forces in anticipation of imperial consent and Tadataka needed to march south towards San Salvador as quickly as possible. He organized an army of 6,000 at Iriebashi, consisting of 1,000 Chinese conscript infantry from the villages, 2,000 allied auxiliary allies, and 3,000 elite samurai, of which 1,000 were cavalry. 10 artillery pieces would also be brought along. He left for San Salvador in May and would be joined by 500 soldiers from Tatuturo and 250 elite musketeer mercenaries under the command of Zheng Zhilong [1], one of the wealthiest merchants in the area, while Oda Tadahide stayed back to guard the Bireitou provincial capital. Tadataka’s deputies included Miyamoto Musashi, the late Yasuke’s son Aguro Atsumasa (阿黒敦政), and Shimazu clan vassal Kimotsuki Kaneatsu (肝付兼篤), who led the 500-strong Shimazu contingent from Mamezaki, the Shimazu clan’s possession on the island.​

1M59rWzMu7XL8-SWznTYcRmzhET5hpOxbqNVbrSBUakbkoCecilAhE4rUug8uSyQFj_XWSXLFBkK6i5c21F9RxdLENOFAktGsFwMrFQMSEnFt_RPgxMYtC-G3VQ49Ng3lWEygSom8wR50SRbGl07nSRX-G4DvaFztjm0AuXdkPKii6AxfQ8cJQHuN9YcYg

Portrait of Zheng Zhilong​

Back in Azuchi, Nobutomo assigned his younger brother Kanbe Tomoyoshi as the head of the first wave of troops southwards from the main islands. Numbering around 40,000, this wave would draw from northern Kyushu, the Mōri clan, and the main Oda fiefs. Half of the army would be matchlock infantry, the highest proportion of arquebus-armed troops among any Japanese army up until that point. In addition, most cavalry were by now trained in the usage of gunpowder weapons themselves, particularly the bajouzutsu.

Meanwhile, Kuki Moritaka prepared to set sail at the head of a coalesced Azuchi navy, bringing together the Nagasaki and Hakodate squadrons and around half of the Sakai main squadron to eventually meet with the Iriebashi navy. Joining him would be the Shimazu, Chosokabe, and Mōri navies. His first task would be the transport of the land forces gathering in Hakata (博多) before securing control over the Luzon Straits. Deputy naval magistrate Wakizaka Yasumoto (脇坂安元) would be responsible for guarding Japanese waters.​

BBR82zzVsCqqYFqbaxMysAl7g_Z_hmwbSUtZYF9FEg86w5WosTP1od6TS0CVKrhs_UiydypiKkhpU-GoIqpyKogNpnKRYo1FFJ2-MM5DuJ5WT4JAGDyJKHFE2hkQLGnhn_0ZzsZ1Gpivw2kCu17SJcL8yG7zX6Jmefbc4bqzfA3rOawyq1GY6rft4dI-ag

Portrait of Kuki Moritaka​

In addition to mobilization at home, Nobutomo sent messengers to the Dutch, English, and the Maguindanao sultanate to court them as allies. The Dutch, who had been worked on by Japanese diplomatic efforts for a few years now, would eagerly participate as part of their decades-long independence war against Spain, which had inherited the Low Countries in 1556 as part of the partition of the huge Habsburg empire. With the promise of total Spanish expulsion from the island of Mindanao, Maguindanao’s sultan Muhammad Kudarat would also join Japan against Spain. The English, however, refused to break their 1629 truce with Spain as they did not consider their presence in Southeast Asia important enough to risk or expand for the time being.​

KK_dd5t0BhvXySBdZc1BTWjAXZKvTobzF6z2igyoEwdB_sS6v_XygzhBNyTsiA3mJsPLKrd_JAtwp864vWu4ZCjjC-_hwZG3wWGhKAOgJKV8-tBM2QvZvF95z6MGiQwHBBuTehnjT1TJJED4K_Lim35gCEE7Gmjvo50TSN5BLMz6dO_CyLOGQFkF5Mos6A

Sketch of Sultan Muhammad Kudarat of Maguindanao​

Nobutomo would also send inspector general Hori Chikayoshi to the Omura and Arima fiefs and deliver orders for both clans to expel Portuguese and Spanish merchants and Jesuits who were part of their clan bureaucracies to root out potential spies out of Kyushu. Chikayoshi would also oversee suspension of trade relations with Spain throughout all of Kyushu per a realmwide decree from Azuchi and utilize spies to monitor Kirishitan activities in urban areas and northern Kyushu, where Catholics were most common.

Nagahisa expressed a desire to join the expedition himself but would not be able to due to his increasingly poor health. He would pass away in the winter of 1631, leaving behind an enormous legacy including the foundation of Japanese-Dutch relations and his clan’s participation in Bireitou expansion efforts. With him died the last vestige of the generation that had built the united Oda rule that now firmly existed. It would now be left to the next generation to take the next steps.

[1]: For extra context, Zheng Zhilong is the IOTL father of Koxinga.​

Last edited:
Awesome! The steps are taken down for the war! Let's hope Japan can surprise the Europeans with their tenacity and spirit and win the day!

Seeing the Japanese build their army against the Spanish is very good, considering that the Philippines is a good prize. It may cut off China's economy from Spanish silver which may be catastrophic though. I think we'd get a period of Chinese instability if Japan wins.

Considering Zheng Zhilong is helping Japan it'd be really fun if one of his sons expands Japan's control of Beiritou considering otl koxinga controlled southern Beiritou (it does make sense for the Japanese to expand their control down the coasts and plains of Beiritou before fully controlling the mountains).

Also considering the amount of Chinese ppl in Beiritou would there be a bunch of Japanese ppl with single name surnames (like Lee, Zheng, Chan, Lum) from their Chinese ancestry?