Peace in our times! WWII ends after the fall of France!

Inspired by THIS THREAD, I got to thinking how history would possibly have been different if the Germans proposed peace terms in 1940, after the 'fall of France' where the Germans would withdraw back to 1914 borders {with France & Denmark} once the ToV had been reverse imposed, such that:
  1. The French are not allowed a Navy larger than what Germany had been allowed, and
  2. The French Army is to be exactly what the French had imposed upon Germany, and
  3. France is forbidden military aircraft.
And that in addition, the Germans would occupy key French industrial/resource areas until such time as all war reparations have been paid off and the French military has been reduced to the RToV terms and conditions.

For Belgium and the Netherlands, Germany pays reparations for damages caused, likewise Norway.

Czech and Slovakia are released {Less the Sudetenland}, and the Poland question is left for later, but with the understanding that Poland will have access to the sea immediately, and the permanent solution must allow for the same.

Basically, Germany regains all lost lands in Europe, keeps Austria, and France is removed as a threat permanently.

My thinking is that the French fleet is to be scrapped/scuttled/sold to the UK, and the French military vehicles and aircraft are turned over to Germany.

Any thoughts?

That would have required a sane German government, and no Nazis with their concepts of Lebensraum and world domination.

Inspired by THIS THREAD, I got to thinking how history would possibly have been different if the Germans proposed peace terms in 1940, after the 'fall of France' where the Germans would withdraw back to 1914 borders {with France & Denmark} once the ToV had been reverse imposed, such that:
  1. The French are not allowed a Navy larger than what Germany had been allowed, and
  2. The French Army is to be exactly what the French had imposed upon Germany, and
  3. France is forbidden military aircraft.
And that in addition, the Germans would occupy key French industrial/resource areas until such time as all war reparations have been paid off and the French military has been reduced to the RToV terms and conditions.
OTL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armistice_of_22_June_1940

That would have required a sane German government, and no Nazis with their concepts of Lebensraum and world domination.
True, but the question is still asked, because I want opinions on how world opinion would be if this had been done.

Czech and Slovakia are released {Less the Sudetenland}, and the Poland question is left for later, but with the understanding that Poland will have access to the sea immediately, and the permanent solution must allow for the same.

What about Poland?

I see I did this badly, going to publish an image showing the proposed breakup of the French empire, with who gets what (Nothing to Germany)

Here we go...
ML7EIecl.png

Now, how about this as a peace proposal?

Africa is colored to show 4 way split, the USA, Canada, Australia, Brazil and Japan all make gains of little bits and pieces, but the UK gains the most.

Last edited:
So my idea is, to take away the French Empire, and give portions to many different nations, so as to sow discontent and discord among many nations of the world, and to totally screw over France, but without Germany making any colonial gains. In the image upthread, I would have the French Empire divided up as follows:
Red portion of Africa going to the UK, as well as the middle east, the red sea, madagascar, and India.
Yellow portion of Africa going to Spain.
Green portion of Africa going to Italy, plus Corsica.
Orange portion of Africa going to Belgium, so that the BC hopefully gains better routes for exploitation by having more coastline.

Japan gains SE Asia, Australia gains the two far flung pacific ocean island groups, Brazil gains the part in SA, Canada gains the island off her coast, and the USA gains the rest.

How would such a peace proposal be taken? Would the French choose to fight on? What effect would such an offer have on Italy-Spain-Belgium?

nbcman

Donor
So my idea is, to take away the French Empire, and give portions to many different nations, so as to sow discontent and discord among many nations of the world, and to totally screw over France, but without Germany making any colonial gains. In the image upthread, I would have the French Empire divided up as follows:
Red portion of Africa going to the UK, as well as the middle east, the red sea, madagascar, and India.
Yellow portion of Africa going to Spain.
Green portion of Africa going to Italy, plus Corsica.
Orange portion of Africa going to Belgium, so that the BC hopefully gains better routes for exploitation by having more coastline.

Japan gains SE Asia, Australia gains the two far flung pacific ocean island groups, Brazil gains the part in SA, Canada gains the island off her coast, and the USA gains the rest.

How would such a peace proposal be taken? Would the French choose to fight on? What effect would such an offer have on Italy-Spain-Belgium?
Other than Japan and Italy, why would the other countries accept the French colonies? For that matter, how could the Germans force the French handover of these overseas colonies in the first place? If the French were told that they would be stripped of their colonial empire as part of a 1940 armistice, why would they not fight on when the French have not much left to lose? Would Spain be willing to risk their neck to gain new African colonies which they most likely couldn't control? Overall, it is a terrible idea if the Germans tried to present it to the French during armistice negotiations-and it would require an ASB to get the countries to accept these territorial transfers.

You'd need someone other then Hitler in charge for the Germans. With him in charge and especially after smashing the French he wouldn't accept anywhere near the terms you proposed. A independent Poland and Czechia are going to be right out. I also doubt that the Germans would really even consider leaving Norway, Belgium, and the Netherlands as independent nations. Most likely they end up under various puppet regimes. And even if Germany secures some sort of peace in the West you're still dealing with Hitlers desire for a full blown war of annihilation with the Soviets (and eventually the Americans after the Soviet Union had been destroyed)