Phoenix from the Ashes: The Story of Star Trek's Fourth Season

“We were wiped out, off the schedule, killed. I was looking for other things to do next year, and finding that everyone still thought of me as Captain Kirk. Fortunately, so did Paramount.”

Star Trek Memories, William Shatner

“It was an easy decision, yes. Do I regret it? A little. But the fun was gone, the magic was gone, and the money was gone, so moving over to Mission was the right thing for me to do. I didn’t even watch them until they came out on VHS.”

Starlog, June 1986, Interview with Leonard Nimoy

“To get us on the air again after the second season, it took five hundred thousand letters. To get us back on after the third season, it took five hundred thousand dollars.”

Beyond Uhura, Nichelle Nichols

“It hurt, to be knocked off the air by something I’d helped create. Though naturally I was thrilled for my friends on the show, so I had mixed feelings, definitely.”

Inside Star Trek, Herb Solow and Bob Justman

After the filming of Turnabout Intruder, Star Trek was dead. Off the schedule, a show that had - in the opinion of everyone involved - fallen past its prime, and it was time to move on. Paramount certainly thought so, and many executives were relieved to be rid of their unwanted show, able to focus more attention on their successful Desilu acquisitions - Mission: Impossible and Mannix, both still performing strongly in the ratings. Star Trek, however, still had an unexpected shot left in its locker - Kaiser Broadcasting. As early as the first season, Henry J. Kaiser had bought Star Trek for his syndication network, and had plans for the show, running it against the nightly news shows of the ‘Big Three’ networks, hours earlier than it had ever been shown before, and surprisingly, it did well. Very well. Well enough for him to be annoyed that there would be no more ‘product’ to show, that he only had seventy-nine episodes. That led to a meeting with the head of Paramount, and an unprecedented offer.

Later, some would suggest that Kaiser had offered to part-fund episodes to go straight to syndication, but that was never realistic. Not for the 1969-70 season, anyway. What he did do was offer to provide a contribution to funding of any future episodes, considerably reducing Paramount’s production costs. That made a new season of Star Trek at least a faint possibility. What gave it a stronger chance, ironically, were Herb Solow and Robert Justman, two of the people critical to the original success of the show. They had produced a pilot movie, ‘Then Came Bronson’, for NBC, and the network’s reaction was, to put it mildly, questionable. A show about a man travelling America to ‘renew it’s soul’, they looked at it, and wondered if it could work as a series. It was pencilled in - very loosely - for Wednesdays at 10pm, but at this point, a Paramount executive suggested that they might take a lesser payment for another season of Star Trek, should NBC be interested. At this stage, it was all theory, all discussion, and NBC Burbank was the site of a major argument in late March. When it was over, Star Trek - astonishingly and to the amazement of its still-protesting fanbase - was back on the air, with the Wednesday night slot, and Then Came Bronson was gone.

Producer Fred Freiberger was the most surprised of all. He was convinced that - despite all of his efforts - Star Trek was dead, and being informed on April 1st that it was back to life seemed somehow ironic, but he and Arthur Singer immediately started to pull things together. Then stopped, as Singer accepted an offer from Hawaii Five-O, and left the show. The first job was to find a new script editor from anywhere, and he immediately decided to try and lure D. C. Fontana back to the job. This almost failed as soon as it began, and it took the intervention of Gene Roddenberry - reportedly his only contribution to the fourth season - to bring her back, and then, only on a thirteen-episode contract. Assigning scripts was going to be difficult at best, and Fontana immediately offered assignments to people she knew ‘got’ Star Trek, and started to scour through the list of previously-rejected premises. Within a week, she, ‘Lee Cronin’, David Gerrold, Stephen Kandel and Jerome Bixby were working on the first five episodes of the season.

Bringing the cast back should have been straightforward. William Shatner was still under contract, and there was never a debate about whether he should return, as was DeForest Kelley. The only condition Shatner made was that he wanted to direct an episode in the first thirteen, to make up for one he had lost in the third season; this was agreed to with some qualms. The other cast members might have had some qualms, but work was work - though the increasingly tight budgets meant that it was indicated that almost all episodes would have either Sulu or Chekov, not both of them, though they hoped to have them together on occasion. James Doohan pitched for a promotion to the title credits, but at this point, did not get it - but signed on to appear in every episode of the season - at this point, they were only committing to thirteen.

One remained - Leonard Nimoy. Already, Mission: Impossible had been making suggestions that he would be an ideal replacement for the departing Martin Landau, and he had provisionally accepted, but the fact was that he was tired of Spock, tired of Star Trek, and tired of fighting over his character and the quality of the scripts. He was out, and Freiberger opted to simply release him from his contract, figuring that a replacement ‘alien’ would probably cost less to hire, and certainly would be less trouble. Of course, this now meant that the Enterprise would return without what many had considered to be the leading character of the show…

Nice i like it !

i have already post in other Star Trek season Fourth TL and discussion
so I make short:

D. C. Fontana will give the Kilingon a quite different society, as envision later in TNG and DS9 in OTL
also feature the Daughter of McCoy in several episodes.
and two part episode were Krik and Enterprise have to venture deep into Klingon empire to save them all.
and of curse the return of Harry Mud...the space Pirate

Last edited:
Joanna gets made around the middle of the season, but with some interesting twists - and Harry Mudd does indeed return, and more than once...

“He wanted a shapeshifter! On our budget! We all laughed at that before we realized that he was actually serious, and we had to talk him down from it. Ultimately, the one thing we already had was a lot of ears.”

You Think You’ve Got Tribbles: Memories of a Script Editor on the Starship Enterprise, David Gerrold

“I did have some involvement, of course, in that I spent a few nights talking to Larry about what it was to be a Vulcan. He was going to set his own path, but wanted to build on the foundation I established, and I respected him for that.”

“It was made quite clear that I wasn’t going to get money out of this, not serious money in any case, but I was at a stage in my career where that was fine; I could, however, ask for other things, and get them.”

A Vulcan Odyssey, Lawrence Montaigne

Immediately, Star Trek’s future seemed to be in doubt once again, as the fans recoiled from the idea of Star Trek without Spock - though a vocal group led by the increasingly involved Bjo Trimble made it clear that any Star Trek was better than no Star Trek, which seemed to be the case a few weeks previously. The replacement was always going to be an ‘alien’, that was certain, and central to the science-fictional nature of the show. A few production sketches of a ‘shapeshifter’ were made, but both budgetary considerations and NBC demanded a Vulcan. (One of the more amusing production memos to emerge.)

Given that Mission had stolen Nimoy, approaching Martin Landau was an obvious first step, but though he was interested in the part, it was immediately apparent that he was going to be too expensive for the show to sustain. The second choice was Mark Lenard, and there was some discussion of using the character of Sarek, which had been popular, but while he again was interested, he was committed to ‘Here Come The Brides’, though he did indicate a willingness to take a guest starring role.

Finally, they went back to the original Spock replacement. Back at the beginning of Season Two, Nimoy had attempted to hold out for a massive salary increase, and Gene Roddenberry had - as a back-up - secured the services of Lawrence Montaigne should Nimoy withdraw from the series. His agent was contacted, and he was willing to be the ‘Vulcan’, with a commitment for every episode of the series, at what was a fairly inexpensive rate. All he made clear was that he was not playing ‘Spock’, and in order to ensure this, he insisted that he would reprise his Vulcan character from Amok Time, ‘Stonn’.

Montaigne would say later that all he had wanted to ensure was that he was creating his own character, his own Vulcan, and he had several conversations with Leonard Nimoy over the nature of Vulcans and what he had created. That the only other appearance of Stonn was as Spock’s rival for his ‘betrothed’ was ignored by the writers and the production team, but not by the fans - much fanfic would be written to explain this away, especially as Freiberger decided not to do a special episode to ‘introduce’ him, simply choosing to start the new series with Stonn at the science station.

The casting of a newcomer - who would be ranked behind Kelley in the credits for the new season - caused some concern among the established cast, and James Doohan once again asked for title credit, and this time would get it, though he said afterward that he had expected them to offer him more money instead - a bargaining ploy that went rather wrong for him and his agent. It was quickly established that ‘Scotty’ was now First Officer, and given that he was usually in charge on the ship while Kirk was on a planet, that proved not to change the episodes at all.

The scripts were another problem altogether, and suddenly all of the writers were forced to re-tool their work for the new character of Stonn, a character that no-one knew anything about - other than he was ‘like Spock’. Montaigne had his own ideas about the role, of a Vulcan - a full-Vulcan - whose passions were somewhat nearer the surface than Spock’s had been, but this wouldn’t come out in the early episodes except through line delivery. Only later would Gerrold and Fontana produce the episodes that would define his character.

For the moment, at least things were progressing. Star Trek would begin its fourth run in September 1969, and the first episode - D. C. Fontana’s ‘Ghosts’, taken from an old Roddenberry outline from the original set of writer’s guidelines, was close to production. Next in the production order was Bixby’s ‘Million Years Old’, with the return of a memorable character planned for the Kandel script. It was still unclear which would actually air first, though the Bixby script was a strong contender, featuring the return of the old enemies, the Klingons.

They would be making quite a few returns this season, simply for the sake of cost. There had been an abortive plan to have a ‘recurring nemesis’ for Kirk in the third season, William Campbell’s Koloth, but this would actually come to fruition in the fourth season with John Colicos, who was eager to return as Kor, signing up for four episodes out of thirteen - at a rate which essentially gave Star Trek a ‘free’ episode. The Romulans also would return, that much was clear. They had props, costumes, ships, and that meant reduced production costs - and fan acclaim, as they liked seeing the return of old villains.

With the first six episodes proceeding well, if at a reduced budget, more episode pitches began to come in - it had already become apparent that Gerrold and Fontana would be doing multiple episodes this season, and two more of theirs were lined up, as was one by Theodore Sturgeon, and surprisingly, a writer from Britain with considerable science-fiction experience…

Terry Nation?

i guess too that Terry Nation
But there several other Script writer for Gerry Anderson work or "The Avenger" series

Some note to Methuslah post #4

Martin Landau was not only too expensive, He came with double pact: his wive Barbara Bain.
just leaving from Mission: Impossible in 1969, The two end up in Gerry Anderson "Space:1999" in 1973
On demand of ITV Management, much to nuisance of producer Sylvia Anderson.

“He wanted a shapeshifter! On our budget! We all laughed at that before we realized that he was actually serious, and we had to talk him down from it. Ultimately, the one thing we already had was a lot of ears.”
shapeshifter expensive SFX ?
let look how solve the problem in second season of Space: 1999
iztzvwr1mnbc85jaawmr.jpg

And the results on Youtube

Landau had been seriously considered for the role of Spock OTL, again when it looked like Nimoy wouldn't come back for the Second Season...and I think that Star Trek can only dream of such advanced technology and funding in its Fourth Season! They really are doing this on a shoestring.

What might have been interesting in a TL where Star Trek had been more successful but Nimoy had also wanted to leave is who would have replaced Spock with a bigger budget at their disposal...

“There was a running gag that on Star Trek, the doughnuts were cut in half. On the fourth season, we could have only dreamed of having doughnuts.”

You Think You’ve Got Tribbles: Memories of a Script Editor on the Starship Enterprise, David Gerrold

“Unquestionably, there was less time and money in the fourth season than before, but we tried not to let that affect the quality of our work, though I did miss working with Walter quite so often. Though John was cheaper than both of us.”

To The Captain’s Chair, George Takei

“It was a time of opportunity. Anything they could do to make it easier. In that environment it was no wonder they let me loose with a script, though I was slightly surprised that they filmed it!”

Warped Factors, Walter Koenig

“I think what happened was inevitable, though I was sorry that David was left to try and pick up the pieces.”

Starlog, June 1986, Interview with D. C. Fontana

“Hell, sometimes Roger was more generous!”

Starlog, December 1974, Interview with Beverly Garland

When the cast and crew assembled for the beginning of filming, it was obvious that the cracks were beginning to show. Six days, and no more, was allocated for every episode, and the example of Tholian Web indicated what would happen in the event of any overrun. Marc Daniels was to direct the first episode, ‘Ghosts’, set on a planet that looked remarkably like an old back lot, but even then maximum use was to be made of the Enterprise standing sets. The introduction of Lawrence Montaigne was the biggest concern of the cast, and it would take time for him to develop the same chemistry that Nimoy had enjoyed.

Oddly, post-production on the fourth season was proving to be the easiest of all the seasons so far, largely because Freiberger had, early on, decided to use Star Trek’s ‘bank’ of effects shots, rather than have new footage shot. This limited what the Enterprise could do, and ‘Space Station K-7’ made a lot of appearances, rather wearing out its welcome, but it proved quite effective at lowering the budget, though this was another of the areas where Fontana had protested the stinginess of the production.

Perhaps the biggest problem was that there was a strong feeling still that they were not wanted by Paramount. Only Kaiser’s last-minute intervention had saved them, and it was quite clear that they would have no fifth season. Still, that had been said about the second and the third as well, and there was a feeling that the presence of D. C. Fontana would help to right the ship creatively, at least to some degree. Shooting of ‘Ghosts’ went according to plan and on budget, though no-one was hugely satisfied with it, and it was immediately obvious that this would not, could not be the opening show of the series.

Everyone was going through the motions with ‘Ghosts’, but it was ‘Million Years Old’ that picked everyone up, a tale far spookier than its predecessor set on an abandoned Starfleet base - much of which looked a lot like a redressed Enterprise - which had found something strange. Jack Klugman as a high-profile guest star - who did his best to steal the show - cemented this in everyone’s minds as the opening show for the season, and this episode regularly made ‘top-ten’ lists later on, despite unkind people noting some similarities to ‘It! The Terror From Beyond Space.’.

Roger C. Carmel sealed the deal, and ‘Mudd's Enterprise’ brought a much-needed sense of humor back to the show, giving Stonn the first lines that had actually been written with the new character in mind; this was a bottle show, and it was obvious that this was going to be the pattern for the rest of the season. Alien worlds cost money, and would need to be rationed, and Freiberger had noted that the conceit of the ‘Starfleet Base’ had been surprisingly cheap; this concept would be used in future episodes.

The second batch of scripts, to fill out the thirteen, then came in, and with it, arguments. Money, as usual, was the decided. Theodore Sturgeon’s ‘Joy Machine’ was approved largely because it had already been mostly paid for, and John Meredith Lucas’ ‘Godhead’ would come in for the same reason. Walter Koenig’s ‘Botany Bay’’, was purchased extremely cheaply, and at least the writer knew the show - and moreover, it was another bottle show. It was ‘Joanna’ however, that finished the relationship between Fontana and Freiberger before the series even came to air; Freiberger insisted that she had already been paid, Fontana that ‘The Way to Eden’ was nothing like the script she was offering.

When the dust settled, Star Trek had ‘Joanna’, which would prove one of the stand-out scripts of the fourth season, but D. C. Fontana had left the production team, this time for good. With most of the projected ‘thirteen’ episodes now on the way, David Gerrold - who had unofficially been acting as ‘Assistant Script Editor’ for months, if such a title had existed, was officially brought onto the staff in her place, though Freiberger would be doing a lot of the heavy lifting himself. His first job was to approve Terry Nation’s ‘Mission to Cygnus’, and despite much fan lore, at no point was this to include the Daleks - the famed Doctor Who writer had been working on breaking the US market anyway, and there was a little fan recognition. Fundamentally, he was an experienced writer - and an experienced science-fiction television writer - who was working for less than his normal rate.

So the first thirteen episodes were established - with Gerrold to write the remaining two as a part of his new role as ‘Script Editor’. NBC had yet to order the second block of episodes, and everything was going to depend on the ratings. Given their time slot, they were extremely nervous, and while everyone seemed mildly optimistic about at least some of the episodes, the true test would come when Star Trek actually returned to the air.

Landau had been seriously considered for the role of Spock OTL, again when it looked like Nimoy wouldn't come back for the Second Season...and I think that Star Trek can only dream of such advanced technology and funding in its Fourth Season! They really are doing this on a shoestring.

What might have been interesting in a TL where Star Trek had been more successful but Nimoy had also wanted to leave is who would have replaced Spock with a bigger budget at their disposal...

The Irony of situation
As Landau & Bain leaving Mission: Impossible, Nimoy joining this production as the great Paris

Terry Nation’s ‘Mission to Cygnus’
Oh i very curious what that's about, because he used term "Cygnus" in several Episode of "Blake's Seven"

On Budget limitation:
Space: 1999 second season production even had no heating in middle of winter
That reason why the crew run in jacket true the Alpha Base
Or season seven of Doctor Who in 1970, they used diapositive as background do to lack of money for Sets...

Another reason why no-one's going to try and stop him - he isn't changing studios, and Mission has a lot more friends in Paramount Corporate at this point.

Terry Nation had quite a few stock names...expect the guest star to be named 'Tarrant'. I will say that it does not involve the Daleks, though - at this point, he was still trying to get his US Dalek series made - one reason why he might be trying to build studio connections...

Wasn't there a Doctor Who episode where they forgot/ran out of money to fix the green screen behind a car?

“There was a running gag that on Star Trek, the doughnuts were cut in half. On the fourth season, we could have only dreamed of having doughnuts.”

“Unquestionably, there was less time and money in the fourth season than before, but we tried not to let that affect the quality of our work, though I did miss working with Walter quite so often. Though John was cheaper than both of us.”

“It was a time of opportunity. Anything they could do to make it easier. In that environment it was no wonder they let me loose with a script, though I was slightly surprised that they filmed it!”

Warped Factors, Walter Koenig

“I think what happened was inevitable, though I was sorry that David was left to try and pick up the pieces.”

Starlog, June 1986, Interview with D. C. Fontana

“Hell, sometimes Roger was more generous!”

Starlog, December 1974, Interview with Beverly Garland

When the cast and crew assembled for the beginning of filming, it was obvious that the cracks were beginning to show. Six days, and no more, was allocated for every episode, and the example of Tholian Web indicated what would happen in the event of any overrun. Marc Daniels was to direct the first episode, ‘Ghosts’, set on a planet that looked remarkably like an old back lot, but even then maximum use was to be made of the Enterprise standing sets. The introduction of Lawrence Montaigne was the biggest concern of the cast, and it would take time for him to develop the same chemistry that Nimoy had enjoyed.

Oddly, post-production on the fourth season was proving to be the easiest of all the seasons so far, largely because Freiberger had, early on, decided to use Star Trek’s ‘bank’ of effects shots, rather than have new footage shot. This limited what the Enterprise could do, and ‘Space Station K-7’ made a lot of appearances, rather wearing out its welcome, but it proved quite effective at lowering the budget, though this was another of the areas where Fontana had protested the stinginess of the production.

Perhaps the biggest problem was that there was a strong feeling still that they were not wanted by Paramount. Only Kaiser’s last-minute intervention had saved them, and it was quite clear that they would have no fifth season. Still, that had been said about the second and the third as well, and there was a feeling that the presence of D. C. Fontana would help to right the ship creatively, at least to some degree. Shooting of ‘Ghosts’ went according to plan and on budget, though no-one was hugely satisfied with it, and it was immediately obvious that this would not, could not be the opening show of the series.

Everyone was going through the motions with ‘Ghosts’, but it was ‘Million Years Old’ that picked everyone up, a tale far spookier than its predecessor set on an abandoned Starfleet base - much of which looked a lot like a redressed Enterprise - which had found something strange. Jack Klugman as a high-profile guest star - who did his best to steal the show - cemented this in everyone’s minds as the opening show for the season, and this episode regularly made ‘top-ten’ lists later on, despite unkind people noting some similarities to ‘It! The Terror From Beyond Space.’.

Roger C. Carmel sealed the deal, and ‘Mudd's Enterprise’ brought a much-needed sense of humor back to the show, giving Stonn the first lines that had actually been written with the new character in mind; this was a bottle show, and it was obvious that this was going to be the pattern for the rest of the season. Alien worlds cost money, and would need to be rationed, and Freiberger had noted that the conceit of the ‘Starfleet Base’ had been surprisingly cheap; this concept would be used in future episodes.

The second batch of scripts, to fill out the thirteen, then came in, and with it, arguments. Money, as usual, was the decider. Theodore Sturgeon’s ‘Joy Machine’ was approved largely because it had already been mostly paid for, and John Meredith Lucas’ ‘Godhead’ would come in for the same reason. Walter Koenig’s ‘Botany Bay’, was purchased extremely cheaply, and at least the writer knew the show - and moreover, it was another bottle show. It was ‘Joanna’ however, that finished the relationship between Fontana and Freiberger before the series even came to air; Freiberger insisted that she had already been paid, Fontana that ‘The Way to Eden’ was nothing like the script she was offering.

When the dust settled, Star Trek had ‘Joanna’, which would prove one of the stand-out scripts of the fourth season, but D. C. Fontana had left the production team, this time for good. With most of the projected ‘thirteen’ episodes now on the way, David Gerrold - who had unofficially been acting as ‘Assistant Script Editor’ for months, if such a title had existed, was officially brought onto the staff in her place, though Freiberger would be doing a lot of the heavy lifting himself. His first job was to approve Terry Nation’s ‘Mission to Cygnus’, and despite much fan lore, at no point was this to include the Daleks - the famed Doctor Who writer had been working on breaking the US market anyway, and there was a little fan recognition. Fundamentally, he was an experienced writer - and an experienced science-fiction television writer - who was working for less than his normal rate.

So the first thirteen episodes were established - with Gerrold to write the remaining two as a part of his new role as ‘Script Editor’. NBC had yet to order the second block of episodes, and everything was going to depend on the ratings. Given their time slot, they were extremely nervous, and while everyone seemed mildly optimistic about at least some of the episodes, the true test would come when Star Trek actually returned to the air.

Million Years Old
Director: Jud Taylor
Writer: Jerome Bixby
Guest Star: Jack Klugman

This episode sees the first of what would be a regular occurrence in the fourth season - the Enterprise investigating problems at a Starfleet installation, though this would be the cream of the crop. Jack Klugman was impressive as the sole survivor of the attack by the mysterious Beast, a reawakened creature that had been imprisoned by the civilization he had been studying, and a tight script and clever use of standing sets helped enormously. Al Francis lets the shadows tell the story, and despite the low budget, an impressive Beast is provided.

Mudd’s Enterprise
Director: Marc Daniels
Writer: Stephen Kandel
Guest Star: Roger C. Carmel

The return of Harry Mudd, and a very welcome one for all concerned, if not quite at the highs of previous appearances. This time, he has sold the Starship Enterprise to an alien race, posing as its Captain, and Kirk and Company must deal with the fall-out when they aliens arrive to collect. David Gerrold helped out heavily with the rewrites of this script, as with I, Mudd, and this is one of the funnier episodes of the season as a result.

Prototype
Director: Herb Wallerstein
Writer: David Gerrold
Guest Star: John Colicos

A shuttle, testing a new Warp Drive, is stranded in the Klingon Neutral Zone with Stonn and McCoy on board; the two characters get their first chance to fight it out, while Kirk manages a duel of words (as little more could be afforded) with John Colicos’ Kor, while they attempt to salvage the ship and retain the technology for themselves. An adaptation of an earlier script concept, it treads old ground but gives the characters a chance to shine somewhat.

Ghosts
Director: Jud Taylor
Writer: D. C. Fontana

The only episode not to be completely filmed in a studio, this was based on an old Gene Roddenberry outline, of a world where ‘ghosts’ were alive and the living were ‘interlopers’. In the eventual story, this was the result of an experiment gone wrong, and Enterprise was forced to try and undo the damage this experiment had created. This was a troubled show, and it shows - the actors are still working on the new character dynamic, and it all feels rushed. An interesting premise, not well executed.

Sword of Damocles
Director: Marc Daniels
Writer: Gene Coon (as Lee Cronin)
Guest Star: John Colicos

Enterprise stumbles across a shattered alien planet, wiped out by nuclear war, that is slowly beginning to recover, its native population once more thinking of reaching for the stars. Waiting for them are the Klingons - by recently signed treaty, this planet is in their territory, and while Kirk and Stonn are held captive on the planet, Scotty must try and stall for time. A weak episode, but a good one for Jimmy Doohan, who duels impressively with Kor, but a waste of the characters.

Botany Bay
Director: Herb Wallerstein
Writer: Walter Koenig
Guest Star: Beverly Garland

A love story for Kirk, written by Walter Koenig - from an outline by Gene Roddenberry and heavy rewriting by D. C. Fontana. Enterprise is transporting prisoners to a penal rehabilitation facility, and one of them catches Kirk’s eye, an old flame from his past. It turns out that she has been framed, and one of the guards accompanying them is the real murderer, and wishes to silence her forever. Yet another bottle show, but lots of action, and some good lines for George Takei, more than he would get in almost any other episode - definitely Koenig’s work.

“And then, there we were, back on the air, and my name in the production credits. Which seemed so strange, remembering just a few years ago. At this point, I didn’t think it would last for more than a few weeks, though. Hell, no-one did.”

“Tempted? Certainly. But I was working on Mission, and my weeknights were mostly spent in the usual scramble to learn scripts and changes. I just didn’t have time.”

“It wasn’t the episode itself I was worried about, of course, that was done, and nothing could be done about it. The ratings, the ratings, those were what would make the difference between life or death. ‘The Quest For Ratings’ might have been a pretty good episode title, thinking about it.”

“You aren’t wanted on the lot until they need you, and then you are the most important person in the world.”

Inside Star Trek, Herb Solow and Bob Justman

The first of the new season of Star Trek aired, up against the ‘ABC Wednesday Night Movie’ -, and Hawaii Five-O. No-one hoped for first place, but to the surprise of more than a few, Star Trek beat ABC into a solid second in the rankings, ‘Million Years Old’ proving a strong opening - though curiosity about the ‘Spock replacement’, which had leaked into the national news, was also a factor. Still, it led to grounds for a little cautious optimism that the Enterprise might have some life left in it. Everyone waited with bated breath for the second episode, Mudd’s Enterprise, which had been a favorite among the cast, while work on ‘Botany Bay’ began.

This was a first - an episode of Star Trek written by one of the actors. Back in 1966, Shatner had pitched a script idea for the show that had gone nowhere, and there might have been some resentment, but it was a strong Kirk episode - oddly enough, with some good air time for George Takei as well, and an episode filmed without Chekov. It was yet another bottle show, but the writers were getting used to the idea that the Enterprise sets had already been paid for - and that money saved there could be spent on other things. Around this time, a pair of new Enterprise sets were constructed - a ‘Science Lab’ and an enlarged ‘Auxiliary Control’, both of them designed with conversion to other uses in mind. It was a running gag that Kor spent more time in Auxiliary Control than anyone wearing a Starfleet uniform.

Having John Colicos as a running guest star was proving a great asset, a unifying feel to the episodes, and this would very much be established as the ‘Klingon season’. It was clear that - if another thirteen shows were ordered - his contract would be extended, and the actor was more than happy with this arrangement, at least for this season; he would later state that it was one of his favorite parts, and he would reprise it several times later on, notably on Star Trek: Excalibur. Quietly, Freiberger had asked Stephen Kandel to come up with another Mudd script for later in the season, but the writer demurred; it would be David Gerrold who would write Roger C. Carmel back in once again, taking advantage of ideas that were working and capitalizing on them.

‘Mudd’s Enterprise’ took second once again, and settled the series into the position it would hold for its run - a solid second to Hawaii Five-O. In retrospect, this was not surprising; the latter was an established show with a strong fanbase, though Star Trek did drag it down somewhat, especially time. Someone at NBC was paying attention, and time was running out for them to decide whether or not to go with more shows. At this point, two more scripts were commissioned, in any case, with ‘Lee Cronin’ getting one, and John Meredith Lucas the other, though it remained unclear whether they would ever be produced.

The budgetary cutbacks were actually proving a boon to some of the lower rungs of the supporting cast. Aside from the ‘Big Four’, the only actor to appear in every episode of Season 4 was John Winston, as Kyle, who became a perpetual feature on the bridge in the ‘not Sulu or Chekov’ role. He had the virtue of being cheap, and took a small regular payment for a day or two’s work on each script. Barbara Baldavin similarly started appearing more often, taking Uhura’s station during her absences. Cost remained king.

As the next three episodes made it to air, and it became apparent that Star Trek was just about holding its own in its new time slot, the cast began to breathe a sigh of relief. Ultimately, what would prove decisive was that NBC simply didn’t have anything else to put in its slot as a replacement that it thought would do any better. Cancellation still seemed certain after the fourth season, but NBC agreed to pay for two more episodes, and script money was belatedly released.

Which posed a problem. The last time this had happened, Star Trek had a formidable creative team that was able to rally together to solve the problems, to sort out the crisis. This time, it had Fred Freiberger and a badly overworked - and inexperienced - David Gerrold, who was spending far more time writing scripts than he was editing them. They were fine up until episode fifteen, and then they were going to run into problems. D. C. Fontana had made it clear she would not work with Freiberger, and the well was running dry. Freiberger made the mistake of telling John Reynolds, President of Paramount, that there was no way it was going to work. After a long argument, Freiberger resigned, tired of the job and the never-ending battles.

That this was a disaster could not be overstated. Star Trek was now extremely weak at the top, with Associate Producer Ed Milkis and Douglas Cramer, Executive in Charge of Production, temporarily holding the reins. As a favor to Gerrold, Fontana agreed to write episode 16, on the condition that the two of them would edit it together, but NBC looked at the chaos and demanded a sure, experienced hand, immediately. Gene Roddenberry took one look at the wreckage and backed away, and the second man Reynolds called, Gene Coon, also said no. The fourth number on his list was that of John Meredith Lucas, but when all the problems and conditions were laid out, the third man he tried agreed to return as Producer of Star Trek, effective immediately.

very interesting evolution behind the scenes

and very nice episode list, let see what Terry Nation bring into Star Trek.

I've got blurbs written for all but the last four episodes now, and I pretty much know those. One of the interesting things is to work out what sort of episodes each writer would have produced; there are a few outlines that might have been used for a Fourth Season, but some of them are either obviously unfilmable or had been rejected for very good reasons.

As for Terry Nation, well...this is 1970, and around this time, people like Barry Letts and and Terrance Dicks were saying some interesting things about the scripts he was submitting...though always, they are well worth watching.

Wow Star Trek goes better without spock and with a shoestring budget, and we need to promot Koening as head writer, as that we can have a fifth season

ViperKing

Banned
Last edited:
“Total chaos and confusion. We were filming ‘Mission to Cygnus’ when I arrived, the tenth of the season, and only had final drafts of eleven through fourteen. Still, I think it definitely gave me a chance to see what I could do, though it wasn’t the same without Herb.”

Starlog, June 1986, Interview with Bob Justman

“With all respect to Fred, who had a totally thankless task, we all breathed a sigh of relief when Bob came back. He knew the show, he knew most of the people, he knew what we were doing, and he’d got the position he’d wanted. Then, I had to deliver.”

“In an ideal world, I would have come back, no question, but I was in the middle of ‘Pretty Maids’ for Paramount, and I knew that Bob would be fine.”

A Conversation With Gene Roddenberry, October 1972

Star Trek had a commitment for twenty-six episodes, but only had sixteen scripts - and not all of those ready to go. D. C. Fontana refused to come back again - twice had been enough - but did agree to do some rewrites to ease the pressure, and committed to another episode over the three she had already completed for the season. Directors were contracted for episodes that did not exist. The first thing Bob Justman did was go around the table to all the writers who had contributed; Bixby was willing to do another, and Gene Coon needed the money badly enough to do more. After a frantic week of phone calls, he had writers for the rest of the season, but now needed to take hold of the production.

Reluctantly, he was compelled to agree with his predecessor's reasoning in two key areas - the retention of Kor as a standing ‘bad guy of the week’, and the use of Enterprise sets wherever possible, redressed as much as they could stand. The former was a slightly bitter pill to swallow, as he had disliked ‘Errand of Mercy’, where Kor was introduced, but the episodes and the budget needed him, badly. Paramount was willing to cut him some slack to get the show finished, but there was no money available.

Perhaps the most important thing Justman brought back to the table was confidence, and hope. Under Freiberger, everyone had been fighting a rear-guard action to save the show for one more episode, wondering whether they would still be on after the New Year. Now, Bob Justman wasn’t just talking about the rest of the season, but about what he wanted to do in a theoretical Season Five. Few thought it likely that the Enterprise would complete its five-year mission, but it had already stumbled back from the brink three times in a row.

For a long time, Bob Justman would get the credit for the next three episodes, some of the highest points of Star Trek, but that isn’t really fair; he arrived only a couple of days before ‘Joanna’ was scheduled to shoot, and had little input into the production. This was Fontana’s baby, and her absence from the show’s production staff would be missed. Likewise, Gerrold’s ‘Things of the Past’ was conceived under Freiberger, and again, Justman had little creative input.

In a world where an interracial kiss was a controversy, an interspecies relationship was likely to bring the house down, but such was brought to the screen in ‘Joanna’. To NBC’s credit, they went ahead with airing the show, though it was blocked in some parts of the Deep South. Having McCoy’s daughter fall in love with Stonn - and he with her - gave Lawrence Montaigne the chance to really push beyond Spock for the first time, and the character conflicts of the bottle show made it a treat for the fans, though the B-Plot, about a missing starship, was weak.

Another strong Stonn episode emerged, as he went undercover in a group of savage, primitive Vulcans, a long-lost colony, that was attacking Klingon settlers, threatening to bring about a war. At last, the Stonn character was emerging, and finally began to make headway with the fans, though ‘Spock vs Stonn’ would be a perpetual argument for decades to come. Roger C. Carmel returned for what at one point looked as if it would be the final episode of Star Trek, ‘Mudd In Your Eye’, with the con artist returning to match wits with the crew of the Enterprise once again.

The show continued to hold its ground in the ratings, even gained a little with ‘Joanna’ coming close to beating Hawaii Five-O, aided by the controversy. Tight budgeting for the first half of the season had yielded a small production surplus, which Justman hoarded like a miser. Already, he was planning another two-parter for the second half of the season, in a bid to save money on props, sets and actors - this would be D. C. Fontana’s final Star Trek episode, and would almost certainly close out the series. At one point, he was tempted to end the season on a cliffhanger, but decided that it would not help fight off cancellation, and would not be fair to the viewers.

As the New Year dawned, Justman had pulled the show back from the brink, just about, with the last scripts commissioned and on their way, but now that Star Trek had lived into 1970, he had to try and take it to 1971, if that was even remotely possible. While the show was holding up well in its slot, it was still the ratings sink that it had always been, and the advertising costs were continuing to fall.