POTUS impeached after Nuklear War ?

For scenario sake:

1960s USA-USSR political crisis goes out of control into Nuklear War
After WW3 millions US citizen are dead

Would (surviving) Congress and Senat Impeach the US President ?
Although he not started the War or because not prevented it ?
i could imagine that surviving US politician could blame the White House for war outcome.
or the Opposition see there chance to replace him...

Nah. There would be no sense to impeach both post-1983 and 1962 exchanges. In the first case probably because there is no US left. In the second- because US won the war.

mial42

Gone Fishin'
No. After a nuclear war, there'd be much, much bigger things to worry about, like rebuilding large chunks of the US and all of Europe... again.

marathag

Banned
I do think that in the Movie _Failsafe_, that actually was an example of FailDeadly, but the cataclysm avoided there by the President odering a Pilot to nuke New York, who them committed suicide, after a mistaken attack on the USSR occurs.
Yeah, Henry would have been been impeached for that, and for assisting the Soviets in shooting down SAC bombers,as at that time when the US had a total superiority in deliverable Hydrogen Bombs.

Good idea for a sequel...

THE DAY AFTER PART II:

THE IMPEACHMENT
I thing there remain no functioning US government after a 1983 Nuclear War scenario, with exchange of 10000 mega tons.
There for i took 1960s, better say 1958-1967 time frame, everything after 1967 is Mutually assured destruction or Mad

I do think that in the Movie _Failsafe_, that actually was an example of FailDeadly
it would fit the Impeachment scenario under a limited nuklear exchange.

Very implausible if then president started the war and USA lost that. If president didn't start the war and tried avoid that they surely not be going impeach him. And there would be more important issues like reconstruct the nation and help their allies rise from ruins.

This might be my cynical South American political thoughts, but if a US president led American into a nuclear war that the US then lost (and all that "losing" a nuclear war entails), I imagine that the president would die of a "heart attack" or other similar ailment before he had to worry about impeachment.

Chapman

Donor
Really depends on the specific scenario. If POTUS completely failed to consult Congress on the issue of a preemptive nuclear strike, and the ensuing nuclear conflict went very poorly for the US and/or allies, they could certainly be impeached. If POTUS was launching a retaliatory strike though, that's different. They'd probably be rallied around by the remaining government (and the civilian population) unless they handled the whole thing really poorly. However, in a scenario where we've engaged in a nuclear war that went badly enough, I think the civilian government would be overwhelmed by the military. A coup probably precludes the necessity of impeachment.

What about action the POTUS takes that let on long term to WW3 ?

- A successful US invasion of Cuba, were Soviets riposte and take West Berlin as Hostage, that escalates into WW3
- Order the bombing of Cuba missile site were Soviet crew had order in case of US attack do nuclear retaliation.
- Issue the Sea blockade around Cuba, until the US Navy try to surface a Soviet sub, that retaliated with a nuclear torpedo !
- having no control over certain SAC General, who's provoking the Soviets into armed conflict, that escalates into WW3
- Order the bombing of Chinese nuclear research institute, that work on Atomic bomb.

all this have theoretical potential for Impeachment, but will be there sufficient votes to succeeded ?

marathag

Banned
Before 1966, and WWIII ends with the US damaged, but USSR annihilated.
The 'mutual' in MAD really didn't occur til 1967-68, and they didn't reach parity with the USA, who had been cutting warhead numbers in service since 1963, until 1977