Reconstruction: The Second American Revolution - The Sequel to Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid

Well that's when the genre evolves and characters shift from being brave former members of the Massachusetts 54th hunting down war criminals to Confederate deserters tracking down their junta supporting former commanders for revenge.

Then as time goes on, the genre will continue to evolve alongside America's conception of the south and the south's conception of itself.

Pretty much this. I could see Southers and Westers being seen as highly related genres - both deal with similar themes, such as the taming of a region and the constant threat of violence. But, obviously, there would be important differences as well: Southerns would deal more with the legacy of slavery and rebellion, and westerns would be seen as far more optimistic. But despite that, there would be a lot of crossover and the two would be n constant communication with one another.

I kinda suspect that Westerns would reman the more popular of the two, until the 20th century - but from there (especially as enough time has passed where people could look back and see how things developed) the Southern could rise to greater prominence.

I wonder how many legends of gunslingers will be produced in the South during this era. Its a lawless land, and outlaws, vigilantes and the like are going to be very prominent indeed. And more than a few of them are likely going to be targeting the planters and their remnants - there's a fair chance we get a few who could inspire Robin Hood-style legends.

Pretty much this. I could see Southers and Westers being seen as highly related genres - both deal with similar themes, such as the taming of a region and the constant threat of violence. But, obviously, there would be important differences as well: Southerns would deal more with the legacy of slavery and rebellion, and westerns would be seen as far more optimistic. But despite that, there would be a lot of crossover and the two would be n constant communication with one another.

I kinda suspect that Westerns would reman the more popular of the two, until the 20th century - but from there (especially as enough time has passed where people could look back and see how things developed) the Southern could rise to greater prominence.

I wonder how many legends of gunslingers will be produced in the South during this era. Its a lawless land, and outlaws, vigilantes and the like are going to be very prominent indeed. And more than a few of them are likely going to be targeting the planters and their remnants - there's a fair chance we get a few who could inspire Robin Hood-style legends.
So you're saying that Clint Eastwood will be an even bigger movie star than OTL? The Dollars Trilogy will be even greater TTL with how the Civil War/Aftermath has gone.

So you're saying that Clint Eastwood will be an even bigger movie star than OTL? The Dollars Trilogy will be even greater TTL with how the Civil War/Aftermath has gone.

Well, all things considered, Spaghetti Southers may be a bigger thing than their Western counterparts ;) (although, come to think about it, I wonder what parts of Europe have a landscape which best simulates the South. Most Spaghetti Westerns were filmed in Southern Spain and, I believe, Sicily, for a reason, after all)

But, perhaps *Frank Nero becomes even bigger in the ATL :)

Well, all things considered, Spaghetti Southers may be a bigger thing than their Western counterparts ;) (although, come to think about it, I wonder what parts of Europe have a landscape which best simulates the South. Most Spaghetti Westerns were filmed in Southern Spain and, I believe, Sicily, for a reason, after all)

Films are gonna be even more awesome TTL

I could see some dime novels and penny dreadful westerns in later decades of the 19th century about people in the lawless south. Maybe we'll see a counterpart genre to the western, the "southern".
Bass Reeves probably be a full marshal and likely more well known in this TL. His arrest record is pretty impressive for a lawman of his time

Exactly, I see them being sibling genres. With the Western being more about taming "virgin" land and optimistic and the Southern being more about trying to create order in chaos and more morally gray. ironically, I think that while Westerns would be more optimistic and seen as a "safer" genre than Southerns in the short term, future generations may well flip their perception of them. Given that Southerns will have baddies that future generations of the TL can more readily agree on (anti-reconstruction southerners) vs the far grayer topic of western expansion and the favorite villain of that genre, the Native Americans.
Bass Reeves probably be a full marshal and likely more well known in this TL. His arrest record is pretty impressive for a lawman of his time
So what I'm hearing is we need an African American Lone Ranger.

Films are gonna be even more awesome TTL
Hell yeah. I doubt we'd get it, but it'd be cool to have TTL Josey Wales and to have that be a dissection of an anti-Junta Confederate. Maybe it becomes a deconstruction of the Western/Southern ITTL.

I'd love to get some Spaghetti westerns and southerns out of this.

Edit: fixed Anti-Union to Anti-Junta.

Last edited:
Exactly, I see them being sibling genres. With the Western being more about taming "virgin" land and optimistic and the Southern being more about trying to create order in chaos and more morally gray. ironically, I think that while Westerns would be more optimistic and seen as a "safer" genre than Southerns in the short term, future generations may well flip their perception of them. Given that Southerns will have baddies that future generations of the TL can more readily agree on (anti-reconstruction southerners) vs the far grayer topic of western expansion and the favorite villain of that genre, the Native Americans.
I can see now a TTL TV Tropes page: Those Wacky Slavers.

Taylor Sheridan is gonna be busy with all his films and tv shows, he'll have a lot of material to work with. Random thought, but I wonder how TTL's Civil War would affect entertainment like Breaking Bad/Yellowstone/Sons of Anarchy/Longmire/etc?

Taylor Sheridan is gonna be busy with all his films and tv shows, he'll have a lot of material to work with. Random thought, but I wonder how TTL's Civil War would affect entertainment like Breaking Bad/Yellowstone/Sons of Anarchy/Longmire/etc?
That is if they're not butterflied away

It's finally here!!!!!!!! Well written and I cant want to see this tale develop.

However, I did notice the following @Red_Galiray : "But the festive mood obscured the fact that over one hundred soldiers would remain in a South still under famine and rebellion, and that the fight for a true peace was only starting"

Not sure how well Reconstruction is going to develop if the occupation is this small abd overtaxed :p
Private Clark Kent, Kansas, reporting. About a hundred times over.

How long will Reconstruction go on?

Do you mean as in how many chapters will be written, or what does the process of Reconstruction aim to achieve?

Because for the latter case, it's however long it takes to truly obliterate the last trace of the antebellum order in the South and a more egalitarian and free USA has been created, one which shall never suffer the horrors of Jim Crow and the like.

You've got the standard issue of the eastern side of continents being wetter than the western side of continents at that latitude. According to the Koppen Climatic Zone all of the Confederacy except for the Western half of Texas and the Appalachians north of Atlanta are CfA with the major other areas with that Climate are Europe: Northern Italy and most of Serbia (both of which are much more mountainous than the average area of the south.), South America (most of the Eastern Paraguay, Uruguay and surrounding areas of Brazil (Confederados!) and Argentina) Asia (South east quadrant of China plus Taiwan and parts of Southern Japan), Australia (a good chunk of the east coast)

I'm picturing a few different Westerns, I don't know of a lot of them and am more familiar with the television Western, but something like the man who shot liberty valence fFor instance, could very easily be done as a Southern. Or gunsmoke with the Marshall being someone who is there to oversee the town after Kirby smithdom has finally been eradicated. Perhaps he is then invited to remain on as a sheriff instead of U. S martial once things die down.

I'm very curious what will happen to the chestnuts- soon enough it'll be pretty hard to campaign on white Supremacy just because the entire point of the story is a reconstruction success. Maybe a weird paternalism will emerge?