RN has fewer BBs

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
Anti-torpedo bulkheads

Space more than thickness of plates, I would go for more space divided with vertical bulkheads so you can have, /v/w/v/w/v/ with void and water (or oil) I think tanks are easier to keep working as they can be inspected (and to fix after a hit).
You want to absorb the blast without creating shrapnel so lots of light flexible layers.
So your basic quarter inch plate steel in gapped layers. A cellular system might hold against more strikes. I'm thinking of lots of vertical stacks. Gravity works with the fluid. An air filled burst box at the top of each stack. Above the burst boxes is a vent to the outside of the ship, well above the water line.

|>>>>>>>>
|.V|.V|.V|.V|
|W|W|W|W|
|W|W|W|W|~~~~~~
|W|W|W|W|
|W|W|W|W|
|W|W|W|///
|W|W|W|//
|W|W|////
|W|W|///

Last edited:
No, shock will transmit inwards and breech the system. (lifting water is harder than breaking bulkheads)

|..|..|..|..|..|
|..|..|..|..|..|
|v|W|v|W|v|
|v|W|v|W|v|~~~~~~
|v|W|v|W|v|
|v|W|v|W|v|
|v|W|v|W|v|
|v|v|v|v|v|
|v|v|v|v|

The main problem is the small details (without computers you need lots of expensive tests) and parts like rudders + shafts. Then when you think you are all good they hit you with a working magnetic torp/mine and you need to work on your shock damage. (and please fit backup generators for DC pumps /phones)

Last edited:

sharlin

Banned
Also Re the Courageous conversions, they were narrow ships and quite lightly built, without seriously rebuilding their hulls (expensive) you can't really bulge them out and improve their TDS.

Delta Force

Banned
The treaties are all about avoiding an arms race (£££+$$$) and reassuring the folks across the pond that we mean business, not war.

It would seem that a bad case of electrolytic rusting or a mass beaching in the 1930's would be the only option to build ships in the 'holiday' that diminished warship building capability so much.

I'm not sure if you're alluding to this, but there were provisions to replace a ship early (including during thr building holiday) in the event of loss. It could have been interesting if the 1922 Great Kanto earthquake had happened later and wrecked some older Imperial Japanese Navy warships, allowing them to be replaced with newer ships. I wonder how badly they would have tried to cheat the treaty to take advantage of the provision? Perhaps they would try to pass off 18"/45 guns as 16"/50 guns?

Interesting discussion. I'm sorry I missed it the past few days. Regarding DK Brown's observation about the Revenge class, unless mentioned some where else I'm fairly sure that his opinion was that too many battleships had been retained as late as 1939 - not that they had been retained in 1922.

One wouldn't be scrapping the backbone of the battleline, which the R class was, in 1922. The older 12in and 13in gunned ships would be. Regarding the retention and rebuilding of the Eagle, Furious etc. reading Hobbes' new book out on British Aircraft Carriers I consider that, while expensive, one can not always look back on events retrospectively. The Royal Navy's most powerful and persistent enemy was the Treasury (and then probably the RAF) and without the various rebuilds to gain experience with the Navy would be begging a long time for replacements.

I've been thinking about way to play with WNT .

What if GB was sneaky and helped its allies.;)

So pre WNT GB offers France some 13.5 BBs as it cant afford new and we would like to help (and they are not a threat anyway to our 15 and new G3+ coming soon), The French cant make up there mind if this is a bit demeaning but eventually agree to take some if they then get swapped later for 15 inch ships in 10 years time.

The Italians kick up a fuss but accept a similar deal and are happy.

So come WNT GB has promised its 13.5 ships to France and Italy :cool:.

And it has promised to give up the Rs later as well.

JSB

So come WNT GB has promised its 13.5 ships to France and Italy :cool:.

So the Italians and the French have to purchase their ammunition from the British for these 'new' warships, not to mention that parts will have to be purchased from the British rather than acquired in one's own nation?

Not a great idea if you already have your own industrial base.

So the Italians and the French have to purchase their ammunition from the British for these 'new' warships, not to mention that parts will have to be purchased from the British rather than acquired in one's own nation?

Not a great idea if you already have your own industrial base.

If they are free (or just scrap value) how are they any worse than German ships that everybody wanted post WW1 ? actually they are much better as GB will have lots of stuff to sell you and the industry's to support them and is an ally ?

France and Italy don't have the money to make new ships and they have very few ships better than a KVG or Iron duke. They will anyway not have to buy everything, the can make there own shells or reline the guns to there own specs.

The RN has the following 13.5 ships it could sell off, Iron Duke class x 4 King George V-class x 4 Orion-class x 4 (I'm assuming the RN doesn't want to let lose BCs on the world).

None of these ships are any good to fight a post Jutland ship (Nagato etc) so they need replacing. even thought they are all 10 years or less old (admittedly with heard war use) I would suggest selling say 4 each to France and Italy ? (keep the Iron Dukes till we get the G3s ready) with maybe promises that they can buy the Rs when we finish the N3s in 10 years time ?

This will play fun with the WNT :p,
- The RN hasn't lost much that it would not give away anyway but Italy and France have been helped a lot.
- If you have already signed away the Rs (after the G3s are ready of course...) then you ether seriously disappoint the French + Italians or you will have to build replacements (and they will be 35kt Nelsons ;))

JSB