Maximilian I of Mexico
Maximilian I of Mexico (born Archduke Maximilian of Austria; full name, German: Ferdinand Maximilian Josef Maria von Habsburg-Lothringen; 6 July 1832 - 28 December 1918) was the first Emperor of the Second Mexican Empire, reigning informally between 1862 and 1863 until his formal coronation that year, and then until his death in December of 1918. He was an Austrian archduke, the younger brother of Franz Josef I of Austria-Hungary, and had governed the Italian provinces on his brother's behalf before his invitation by a collective of Mexican conservative monarchists and their French allies to serve as Emperor.

The Second Empire was established in the midst of the French Intervention, a war in which France invaded Mexico in the spring of 1862 and rapidly advanced upon Mexico City that May, defeating the Liberal Republic of Benito Juarez (and indeed successfully killing Juarez in the field shortly thereafter) and electing to import a European monarch to unify the fractious state into a single Empire. Maximilian's first years in Mexico were thus wracked by civil war, and Mexican foreign policy was largely dictated by the French. Mexico became one of the first countries to recognize the Confederate States, and it relied on Confederate intervention to finally defeat rebellions in her north.

Following the conclusion of these insurgencies, Maximilian turned the bulk of his attention to statebuilding, his greatest legacy today. Referred to later as the "Meiji of Mexico," Maximilian attracted millions in European investments into Mexican infrastructure and industry, developing the railroads and ports of the country and making it a critical transit point for goods east-west from the Atlantic to the Pacific. He dismayed many of his conservative supporters in governing as a liberal, though he relied heavily on Catholic institutions for much of his support; he encouraged the use of indigenous languages, opened Mexico up to mass immigration from Europe, and over the decades promulgated a number of new constitutional reforms that greatly liberalized Mexican politics. By the time of his death, Mexico was the second-most developed Latin American state, behind only Argentina, with a thriving middle class in its urban heartland and a robust civil society.

However, many aspects of Maximilian's rule were highly controversial. Efforts to centralize Mexican administration triggered a three-year civil war between 1882-85 known as the Revolt of the Caudillos, in which localist warlords grouped together to fight for their privileges against the authority of Mexico City. As Maximilian's rule advanced, his day-to-day participation in governance diminished as he pivoted to a more constitutional figurehead role, and in the early 1900s Mexican politics became an ugly contest between liberals such as Jose Limantour, conservatives such as Enrique Creel, and radicals such as Francisco Madero. The destabilization of Mexican politics, particularly after the elections of 1907, eventually saw first the election of Madero, and then his effective overthrow in the midst of a financial crisis in 1913 which badly poisoned Mexican parliamentarianism for years to come. This occurred on the eve of rising tensions with the United States, and Mexico was, partly against Maximilian's better judgement, dragged into the Great American War alongside the Confederate States, a war in which Mexico would lose close to two hundred thousand men and suffer severe domestic riots and disturbances, as well as an American invasion of Baja California and its northeast. The war ended with the overthrow of the conservative Cabinet by the chief of the Army General Staff, Bernardo Reyes, who installed himself thereafter as an effective dictator and purged his enemies; Maximilian shortly thereafter acquiesced to a regency led by his son and heir, Louis Maximilian, until his death a year later.

In Mexico, Maximilian I is, with the exception of republican elements, regarded as the Padre de Patria, the father of the country, who ended four decades of chaos post-independence and built the state into not only a functional polity but a growing, increasingly wealthy one with a rising standard of literacy and living. Numerous roads and public facilities throughout the country bear his name, and he is generally regarded as the most important and venerated figure in Mexican history alongside Miguel Hidalgo. His birthday, July 6, has since 1932 been celebrated as a national holiday.

1714574006477.png

1714574039676.png

Attachments

• 1714573968652.png
    1714573968652.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 40
Maybe his trial stretches over the six-ish months, Steffie gets off on a technicality, and that's the spark?
Or conversely, he is convicted and then Austria could be in a situation where either they lose the French Alliance if Steffie goes to Jail/Noose but if they pardon him and they risk Germany declaring war (which Germany ends up doing).

Maximilian I of Mexico (born Archduke Maximilian of Austria; full name, German: Ferdinand Maximilian Josef Maria von Habsburg-Lothringen; 6 July 1832 - 28 December 1918) was the first Emperor of the Second Mexican Empire, reigning informally between 1862 and 1863 until his formal coronation that year, and then until his death in December of 1918. He was an Austrian archduke, the younger brother of Franz Josef I of Austria-Hungary, and had governed the Italian provinces on his brother's behalf before his invitation by a collective of Mexican conservative monarchists and their French allies to serve as Emperor.

The Second Empire was established in the midst of the French Intervention, a war in which France invaded Mexico in the spring of 1862 and rapidly advanced upon Mexico City that May, defeating the Liberal Republic of Benito Juarez (and indeed successfully killing Juarez in the field shortly thereafter) and electing to import a European monarch to unify the fractious state into a single Empire. Maximilian's first years in Mexico were thus wracked by civil war, and Mexican foreign policy was largely dictated by the French. Mexico became one of the first countries to recognize the Confederate States, and it relied on Confederate intervention to finally defeat rebellions in her north.

Following the conclusion of these insurgencies, Maximilian turned the bulk of his attention to statebuilding, his greatest legacy today. Referred to later as the "Meiji of Mexico," Maximilian attracted millions in European investments into Mexican infrastructure and industry, developing the railroads and ports of the country and making it a critical transit point for goods east-west from the Atlantic to the Pacific. He dismayed many of his conservative supporters in governing as a liberal, though he relied heavily on Catholic institutions for much of his support; he encouraged the use of indigenous languages, opened Mexico up to mass immigration from Europe, and over the decades promulgated a number of new constitutional reforms that greatly liberalized Mexican politics. By the time of his death, Mexico was the second-most developed Latin American state, behind only Argentina, with a thriving middle class in its urban heartland and a robust civil society.

However, many aspects of Maximilian's rule were highly controversial. Efforts to centralize Mexican administration triggered a three-year civil war between 1882-85 known as the Revolt of the Caudillos, in which localist warlords grouped together to fight for their privileges against the authority of Mexico City. As Maximilian's rule advanced, his day-to-day participation in governance diminished as he pivoted to a more constitutional figurehead role, and in the early 1900s Mexican politics became an ugly contest between liberals such as Jose Limantour, conservatives such as Enrique Creel, and radicals such as Francisco Madero. The destabilization of Mexican politics, particularly after the elections of 1907, eventually saw first the election of Madero, and then his effective overthrow in the midst of a financial crisis in 1913 which badly poisoned Mexican parliamentarianism for years to come. This occurred on the eve of rising tensions with the United States, and Mexico was, partly against Maximilian's better judgement, dragged into the Great American War alongside the Confederate States, a war in which Mexico would lose close to two hundred thousand men and suffer severe domestic riots and disturbances, as well as an American invasion of Baja California and its northeast. The war ended with the overthrow of the conservative Cabinet by the chief of the Army General Staff, Bernardo Reyes, who installed himself thereafter as an effective dictator and purged his enemies; Maximilian shortly thereafter acquiesced to a regency led by his son and heir, Louis Maximilian, until his death a year later.

In Mexico, Maximilian I is, with the exception of republican elements, regarded as the Padre de Patria, the father of the country, who ended four decades of chaos post-independence and built the state into not only a functional polity but a growing, increasingly wealthy one with a rising standard of literacy and living. Numerous roads and public facilities throughout the country bear his name, and he is generally regarded as the most important and venerated figure in Mexican history alongside Miguel Hidalgo. His birthday, July 6, has since 1932 been celebrated as a national holiday.

View attachment 904177
View attachment 904178
YES! Been waiting for this! thanks @KingSweden24 ! May the Padre de Patria rest in peace.

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets".
Voltaire

War has arrived!

That is a dark, dark quote, but I like it. (Go figure)
@KingSweden24 Will we have an early census due to the outbreak of war in Europe?
Hmm. Maybe not a bad idea.
In some ways they will. At least at the beginning.
For example no proper noble officer is going to lie down in the mud, just because some shells and bullets are flying around. They are going to stand straight and proud a gallant figure of.....
View attachment 904157A
All they need is elan!
Holy Catholic France and Austria will surely vanquish heathen Germany and atheist Italy, Deus Vult.
Its time to RETVRN Italy to its proper place is what you're saying?
Stephane Clement murdering Prince Franz of Bavaria at a Vienna ball after Belgium joined the Iron Triangle and acted like a little shit in escalating European tensions at a time when Austria-Hungary's stability and future is very much in question, giving France anxiety as to their and Austria's ability to act as a counterbalance to Germany and Italy, when France is falling behind Germany overall demographically and economically (likely not per capita) and wants to keep the position of supposed European top dog (and also to ward of the Radicals, SFIO and URS domestically and keep the right in power via jingoistic nationalism).
An excellent summary of affairs
After Stephane's actions I'm sorta surprised that the war isn't declared until early 1919. I know no one wants to fight in the middle of winter but this feels like a crisis that wouldn't stretch out over six-ish months.
Maybe his trial stretches over the six-ish months, Steffie gets off on a technicality, and that's the spark?
Trial starts in January, so there's a bit of a delay between the killing and his prosecution by the court (Austria being a civil rather than common law jurisdiction, after all)
Or conversely, he is convicted and then Austria could be in a situation where either they lose the French Alliance if Steffie goes to Jail/Noose but if they pardon him and they risk Germany declaring war (which Germany ends up doing).
No good options.

I'm curious how the deteriorating situation in Hungary is playing out alongside this, surely this would make Vienna ever more sensitive to even the *implied* suggestions other powers (cough Germany cough) might be seen as pushing

I'm kinda hoping Steffie somehow survives and makes his way to exile in the CSA. Him and the Bourbons deserve each other.
I suggested somewhere here that he should escape to New Orleans, and try to rape the daughter of some very important Confederate businessman whom he was a guest of, kill a USA soldier while trying to escape, and then follow this event by trying to rape a wife of a leader of some secret Freedmen group, with all culminating into all groups in the city reaching a mutual truce... so that they can all lynch the guy, and perhaps, take some of his body parts as trophies (if he is alive while some guy is sewing his feet or any other organs, better, as he is probably like the only person in anything I read that deserves as painful as possible death), with the event perhaps considered as the beginning of the extremely slow racial peace process in the New Orleans.

I'm certain the Wittelsbach's can make an exception to let steffie be executed publicly maybe they could have a congolese person participate

I'm kinda hoping Steffie somehow survives and makes his way to exile in the CSA. Him and the Bourbons deserve each other.

I suggested somewhere here that he should escape to New Orleans, and try to rape the daughter of some very important Confederate businessman whom he was a guest of, kill a USA soldier while trying to escape, and then follow this event by trying to rape a wife of a leader of some secret Freedmen group, with all culminating into all groups in the city reaching a mutual truce... so that they can all lynch the guy, and perhaps, take some of his body parts as trophies (if he is alive while some guy is sewing his feet or any other organs, better, as he is probably like the only person in anything I read that deserves as painful as possible death), with the event perhaps considered as the beginning of the extremely slow racial peace process in the New Orleans.
I suggested him running away to the Belgian Congo somehow.

Either way, I'd say that Belgium ceases to exist after this war...

I suggested him running away to the Belgian Congo somehow.

How pulp fiction do we want to go here. Because I'm not imagining this scenerio where he flees to the Congo with loyalists and sets himself up as King of the region. There's an international response to try to dislodge him, of course - but after the CEW everyone is pretty exhausted and so; although his rule isn't internationally recognized (how could it be) there isn't too much effort made in the endeavor. The newly reformed Kingdom of the Congo chugs on for a few years until he's overthrown by an uprising of the Congoese people (which could then be seen as one of the instigating incidents in decolonization)

That's PROBABLY a bit over the top - but it would make for some good scene chewing villany and an absolutely amazing plotline.