The Prince of the Roses - A Tudor TL

Chapter 1 - Greenwich 1516
Chapter 1 – A most fortunate birth - Greenwich 1516

Every church bell in London rang out loud in the city in on the 18th of February in 1516. To the commoners in the streets and the merchants in their houses it meant one thing had occurred. The speculations about the queen’s latest pregnancy had spread way outside the kingdom’s borders, in the Italian states and even to the court of the ailing Emperor Maximilian in Vienna. Ferdinand II of Aragon had died in nearly a month earlier and his passing had changed the board of European politics. Castile and Aragon was now to be handed over to Charles of Austria, the Duke of Burgundy, a man of mere sixteen years old. A year earlier the aging Louis XII had died and the new king was the dynamic and ambitious François of Angouleme. The European kingdoms were changing hands at this time and Emperor Maximilian was not long for the world either.

The household in Greenwich Palace was blooming with joy and delight. But none was as happy as Catherine of Aragon was in this moment. A son! She had a son! After all the stillbirths and miscarriages, she finally had living son. The loud shout of joy from the midwife had been enough to tell her as the baby had entered the world in one hard push and the tears streaming down her face had been both from the pain as well as happiness that engulfed her. The baby had been big and strong, with healthy lungs that he displayed at once. Immediately a messenger had left to find the king, to let him know he had an heir at last. Catherine had heard him arriving long before he entered her chamber, his booming voice shaking the dust from the rafters and sending the drowsy birds scattering from the roofs.

“Is it true?! Where is my son, I will see my son!” King Henry VIII came bursting through the doors, parting the courtiers and maids like the red sea as he strode towards the bed where the swaddled and sleeping infant was resting in his mother’s arms.

“Kate, oh my beloved Kate. Are you well? I must know, for you shall lack for nothing now. You have made me the happiest man in England. This is our son, our Prince. Kate, hand me my son, so that I shall see his face.

My lord and husband, I pray that this child shall be as great a sovereign as his father and his blessed ancestors and restore England to the greatness the lord intended it to be.”

Henry leaned over and kissed Catherine’s damp brows. “And so, it shall be!”

The king strode out of the chamber where the members of court had gathered, eager to hear the news leaking out by every passing minute.

Holding up his son, he loudly proclaimed him to the assembled crowds:

“My lords and ladies, behold your future king, Prince Edward of England!”

Outside of the door, a drowsy Catherine could hear as the courtiers went to their knees, shouting in relief and praising their queen for delivering the salvation of the kingdom to England. And with that sound ringing of the walls of Greenwich, she shut her eyes and let sleep take her away. In her heart, she knew that this son had been her salvation, as he had protected her from disgrace and a fall that she had seen looming ever closer in the past years. Many in court also knew it, that their queen's standing had been shakier in the past years as no child she had borne had lived longer then a few weeks. Many prayed deeply for her as this latest pregnancy continued and for their Spanish queen to deliver what the Tudor dynasty desperatly needed: A Prince of the Red and White Rose for England.

George of York.jpg

Edward Tudor, Duke of Cornwall in 1516

Author's Note: So I have been contemplating this scenario for a while now: What if Mary I was born a son in 1516? And this first chapter is the result of that madness. Expect Tudor Drama and shenanigans as well as references for future Shakespeare plays, because why not.

Last edited:
Chapter 1 – A most fortunate birth - Greenwich 1516

Every church bell in London rang out loud in the city in on the 18th of February in 1516. To the commoners in the streets and the merchants in their houses it meant one thing had occurred. The speculations about the queen’s latest pregnancy had spread way outside the kingdom’s borders, in the Italian states and even to the court of the ailing Emperor Maximilian in Vienna. Ferdinand II of Aragon had died in nearly a month earlier and his passing had changed the board of European politics. Castile and Aragon was now to be handed over to Charles of Austria, the Duke of Burgundy, a man of mere sixteen years old. A year earlier the aging Louis XII had died and the new king was the dynamic and ambitious François of Angouleme. The European kingdoms were changing hands at this time and Emperor Maximilian was not long for the world either.

The household in Greenwich Palace was blooming with joy and delight. But none was as happy as Catherine of Aragon was in this moment. A son! She had a son! After all the stillbirths and miscarriages, she finally had living son. The loud shout of joy from the midwife had been enough to tell her as the baby had entered the world in one hard push and the tears streaming down her face had been both from the pain as well as happiness that engulfed her. The baby had been big and strong, with healthy lungs that he displayed at once. Immediately a messenger had left to find the king, to let him know he had an heir at last. Catherine had heard him arriving long before he entered her chamber, his booming voice shaking the dust from the rafters and sending the drowsy birds scattering from the roofs.

“Is it true?! Where is my son, I will see my son!” King Henry VIII came bursting through the doors, parting the courtiers and maids like the red sea as he strode towards the bed where the swaddled and sleeping infant was resting in his mother’s arms.

“Kate, oh my beloved Kate. Are you well? I must know, for you shall lack for nothing now. You have made me the happiest man in England. This is our son, our Prince. Kate, hand me my son, so that I shall see his face.

My lord and husband, I pray that this child shall be as great a sovereign as his father and his blessed ancestors and restore England to the greatness the lord intended it to be.”

Henry leaned over and kissed Catherine’s damp brows. “And so, it shall be!”

The king strode out of the chamber where the members of court had gathered, eager to hear the news leaking out by every passing minute.

Holding up his son, he loudly proclaimed him to the assembled crowds:

“My lords and ladies, behold your future king, Prince Edward of England!”

Outside of the door, a drowsy Catherine could hear as the courtiers went to their knees, shouting in relief and praising their queen for delivering the salvation of the kingdom to England. And with that sound ringing of the walls of Greenwich, she shut her eyes and let sleep take her away. In her heart, she knew that this son had been her salvation, as he had protected her from disgrace and a fall that she had seen looming ever closer in the past years. Many in court also knew it, that their queen's standing had been shakier in the past years as no child she had borne had lived longer then a few weeks. Many prayed deeply for her as this latest pregnancy continued and for their Spanish queen to deliver what the Tudor dynasty desperatly needed: A Prince of the Red and White Rose for England.

View attachment 873355
Edward Tudor, Earl of Cornwall in 1516

Author's Note: So I have been contemplating this scenario for a while now: What if Mary I was born a son in 1516? And this first chapter is the result of that madness. Expect Tudor Drama and shenanigans as well as references for future Shakespeare plays, because why not.

Oooh fantastic for a first chapter, how nice so Catherine can have a more peaceful life and many women manage to escape the trap of having to deal with and then live with Henry, best wishes young Duke of Cornwall, I hope you grow up healthy and strong, it's possibly you have better luck than all your Otl siblings ( including Elizabeth ) in having a proper childhood

Oooh fantastic for a first chapter, how nice so Catherine can have a more peaceful life and many women manage to escape the trap of having to deal with and then live with Henry, best wishes young Duke of Cornwall, I hope you grow up healthy and strong, it's possibly you have better luck than all your Otl siblings ( including Elizabeth ) in having a proper childhood
Henry is gonna be eons easier to deal with for Catherine as she has a living son. Little Ned is off to a good start in life.

Ooh, Shakespeare plays! Love when he's mentioned in Tudor timelines. Good luck to dear Ned! So glad this means Henry has a possibility of being a passable husband to Catherine. I wonder if Ned will have any siblings...

Ooh, Shakespeare plays! Love when he's mentioned in Tudor timelines.
Me to. Given how many plays he did on the Plantagenet, I feel like it was only fair to have a Tudor play by him.
Good luck to dear Ned! So glad this means Henry has a possibility of being a passable husband to Catherine.
He's gonna be far less of a miserable shitbag to her in this timeline.
I wonder if Ned will have any siblings...
That is the question, isn't it? He has a half-brother in the Fitzroy lad. But whether Catherine or Henry will have any more children is something I haven't decided yet.

It’s what she deserves <3
That is the question, isn't it? He has a half-brother in the Fitzroy lad. But whether Catherine or Henry will have any more children is something I haven't decided yet.
FitzRoy certainly won’t be as well titled as otl - Not higher than an earl, if that

Earl of Richmond seems like a good title. A son is a son, be it bastard born like him.
Earl of Richmond is suitable given we are dealing with a Tudor bastard.
Btw in the presentation for the miracle prince isn't his title supposed to be Duke of Cornwall?
Damn it, let be fix that. Mixed it up with Earl of Chester.
It’s what she deserves <3

FitzRoy certainly won’t be as well titled as otl - Not higher than an earl, if that
True that, Catherine deserves a hail Mary.
I think he can get a earldom, but just one.
Exactly, Henry will see him as another example of his virility and masculinity, he will recognize him. Earl of richmond sounds good?
Earl of Richmond can work. It was associated with the Tudors anyway.

Another wonderful TL, you are spoiling us. Will there be a baby Mary in 1518? I concur with @Dragonboy and hope Hal and Edward will have a brotherly bound. My vote is for the Earl of Richmond title.

I can see them bonding; Catherine would never really LIKE any of the bastards, of course, but FitzRoy is not a threat to her now- even if she doesn't have anymore kids in this TL, she won't know that, so in her mind, he's going to become more and more irrelevant. Because of this, I can't see her discouraging Ned from interacting with FitzRoy, at least, not actively.

Another wonderful TL, you are spoiling us. Will there be a baby Mary in 1518? I concur with @Dragonboy and hope Hal and Edward will have a brotherly bound. My vote is for the Earl of Richmond title.
I am going stir crazy, that is what I'm doing. I have a french tl planned as well. Maybe there will be another child, or maybe not. I'm contemplating it.
I think Earl of Richmond will be good. It will be nice for a king's son, but it won't be high enough to piss of Catherine.
I can see them bonding; Catherine would never really LIKE any of the bastards, of course, but FitzRoy is not a threat to her now- even if she doesn't have anymore kids in this TL, she won't know that, so in her mind, he's going to become more and more irrelevant. Because of this, I can't see her discouraging Ned from interacting with FitzRoy, at least, not actively.
I think her rage towards Fitzroy otl was because he was stepping uncomfortable close to Mary's rights and being elevated to such positions threatened her daughter's claim. With a bouncy boy in the cradle, there is no way Fitzroy climbs at high as otl and Henry is never gonna favour his bastard son over his precious Prince. So they can be friends.
Thanks! Brothers are brothers! And Hal can be Ned's steadfast support. Like Aegon I and Orys!
That is a nice reference.