The United States of America and Africa/A 19th Century Cold War

This was an idea I had for a TL.

The long and short of it is the US fails to get to west coast and instead ends up with holdings in Africa.

the pod is 1805.:)

Comments are welcome and appreciated if people are interest I will post a timeline.

How does the USA, especially one that is robbed of the West Coast in some way, going to develop the infrastructure it needs to support colonies abroad? You need a navy to get your settlers to the colony and to police it for pirates, you need to have colonies supported to begin with for one. The US tried to take the Philippines with poor public support for that particular aspect of the Spanish-American War, the result was the Philippines were basically viewed as a massive liability by the American public and nobody bothered to make the necessary commitments to defend them.

The US has cultural reasons not to get into the colonialism game too, it's not like they have much sympathy towards Africans themselves but the notion of doing basically the same thing the Europeans are doing in Africa will not sit well with people.

I would not happen right away. The US would not get Africa until 1918ish. It also is not a colony, the US just claims the land from France to protect the people from slavers.

Also most of what I have, thought through, is the 19th Century, while the USAA, only comes into being in the 20th.

Hope things make more sense now.

I did make a ASB map with that idea a long time ago, Here it is.

World Archive 7 The Troubles of Reality.png

Similar, only the US only gets French West Africa and maybe Libya.

But I like it, I am don't know how to do maps, but that North America is similar to what I have thought.

So maybe my TL should be in ASB:D