What if the castaways left the island?

Diamond

Banned
What if the Professor managed to build a raft the first week they were on the island? Would Gilligan end up running for the US Senate?

HelloLegend

Banned
No, a great follow up storm would have killed them. Remember the follow up storm that made them seek shelter in the beginning?

Is this a valid WI?They did leave the island BUT I am now wondering if it was all a dream including the movie with the Harlem Gloetrotters!OMG!Tell me the follow up films on tv were dreams.

HelloLegend

Banned
the POD is earlier in this thread than the TV show.

The TV show also spun a tv movie where the howells opened a hotel resort and the skipper and gill were employees.

US Geological Survey would have found the island with satellite photography.

In one episode, astronauts are in orbit and can see the island; the castaways try to make an SOS with burning logs but Gilligan messes it up and makes it read SOL, the name of one of the astronauts. Journalists would have swarmed to the island to find out who had written the "SOL". But in reality, the SOL would have to be hundreds of feet long to be read from orbit.

In another episode, the "Evil Ginger Twin" successfully impersonates Ginger and leaves the island--but Ginger's real family would have exposed the impersonation and found out about the island.

In another episode, a storm washes up a cable holding telephone lines and Gilligan wraps cloth around the opening in the cable, and the cable is washed back into the ocean, preventing them from making any more phone calls. BUT the ocean would have rotted away the cloth, exposing the opening, and phone company technicians would have come to make a repair, found the island and rescued them.

Those are the cases where they would have been rescued. There may be more I haven't thought of. :) :rolleyes:

But I'd like to ask about one other episode in particular.

A parrot named Sam keeps talking about "Jewels", which turns out to be a box of "Jewel" brand crackers, which have been buried with a newspaper dated April 1906, I think it's April 10. The date of the San Francisco Earthquake was April 18th. Significant?

I wonder if anybody can fill in the blanks and explain who left the parrot, the box of crackers and the newspaper there? Thanks. :)

(Seriously, sounds like Schwartz and the gang just sat around a table laughing as they threw out story ingredients at random...:rolleyes: :D )

And no, only the Harlem Globetrotters movie needs to be a weird dream...it's what Gilligan dreamed after falling asleep on the night after his wedding to Mary Ann...

Is this a valid WI?They did leave the island BUT I am now wondering if it was all a dream including the movie with the Harlem Gloetrotters!OMG!Tell me the follow up films on tv were dreams.

The movie does exist! I was sure I saw it but I couldn't find it on the internet when I went looking for it. What's the title!?

There were a whole bunch of movies and spinoffs, including Gilligan's Planet, a really awful Saturday morning cartoon.

Here's a page with a list of related things.
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=gilligan's+island

Rescue From Gilligan's Island, a TV movie from 1978. At the end, they wind up stranded on the same island again. The ending made it a bummer for me. Also unrealistic was that they don't get interviews with the media, they don't sell book deals, they don't get bothered by the IRS for back taxes, they don't do much of anything.

The Castaways on Gilligan's Island, 1979, the castaways have opened a resort on the island. It wasn't bad, but not memorable either. As good as any episode...except for not being as memorable.

Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island, 1981, worse than any episode. Mad scientist with basketball-playing robots...

IMDB also lists a Gilligan's Island video game and a bunch of other stuff.

Including...
Gilligan's Island: Underneath the Grass Skirt (1999) (TV)

Unfortunately IMDB doesn't have any more info for that one. :rolleyes:

They get off the island, do a media blitz, get on with their lives (prof runs for political office, etc). As they settle into their new lives, they abruptly wake up on a strange island with airplane crash survivors