Why do people assume the Confederacy will liberalize post-war?

Who the fuck would they even be importing from that’s the question

By than even Brazil have ban the trans Atlantic slave trade.

I'm sure there would be some African states still willing to sell, but the real problem is that Britain will have something to say about that.

I'm sure there would be some African states still willing to sell, but the real problem is that Britain will have something to say about that.
The thing is like by than most of Africa is already colonised by Europeans + yeah UK navy is on patrol for anyone dumb enough to smuggle slaves

By this point the Atlantic slave trade is dead and gone. For good reason.

The Confederacy literally put the anti-slave trade clause in their constitution as an olive branch to the UK. Only the most radical fire Eaters would ever suggest dropping it, and I think there would be a public outcry at home (let alone abroad) if they even attempted to amend the clause.

Why would they do that ? I mean, even if some decided to support the idea, it would require an amendment. It seems to be that they realized the possible consequences of allowing it.
A few reasons. One I suppose is that some would view the prohibition on slave trading as a left over from the Union they left, and more broadly as legislation from the anti-slavery people they feared would abolish the institution if they remained. So they would repeal it to rid the CSA of such residual influences. Another reason is that some slaveowners would see the issue of owning slaves not just as a "states rights" issue, but that the government at any level should have nearly zero regulations on slavery.
Who the fuck would they even be importing from that’s the question

By than even Brazil have ban the trans Atlantic slave trade.
Well, Africa. As recently as 1860, a slave ship managed to make it to the US. Though, the British anti slavery patrols would very much prevent a a slave trade from flourishing in the CSA.
Regardless, Latin America did have some instability so I can imagine CSA slave traders exploiting that the illegally sell slaves.
Also, they have no need to, really. The slave population was sustainable or even growing (do not know the details at the moment).
Maybe the CSA might start selling slaves to Natives and frontiersmen out in the territories(since Texas borders the US frontiers). The West in that era was not exactly known for it's stringent law enforcement, so I think some people might get away with owning some slaves there.
To faciliate that trade, the CSA would import slaves to themselves first; acting as an intermediary.

Last edited:
Pretty much this, even if McClellan agreed with the peace plank of his party (he didn’t, he wanted to continue and finish the war so he could be the one to win it), people forget that 1) the inauguration wouldn’t be until March, and 2) Lincoln had contingencies that if he lost, he’d rush Grant and Sherman to go as fast as possible to get the war over with before he was out of office, which would make post-election 1864 and pre-inauguration 1865 hell on earth for the confederacy as the Union goes all out on them to try and rush a capitulation.
Do you have any sources for Lincoln's contingency plans?

A few reasons. One I suppose is that some would view the prohibition on slave trading as a left over from the Union they left, and more broadly as legislation from the anti-slavery people they feared would abolish the institution if they remained. So they would repeal it to rid the CSA of such residual influences. Another reason is that some slaveowners would the issue of owning slaves not just as a "states rights" issue, but that the government at any level should have nearly zero regulations on slavery.
Again, we are talking about an amendment, not just some law. That requires more than some.
Maybe the CSA might start selling slaves to Natives and frontiersmen out in the territories(since Texas borders the US frontiers). The West in that era was not exactly known for it's stringent law enforcement, so I think some people might get away with owning some slaves there.
To faciliate that trade, the CSA would import slaves to themselves first; acting as an intermediary.
Again, why ?

So, same as Brazil?. So, CSA stops slavery as well?.

Not necessarily - even after the slave trade stopped, slavery kept limping along for nearly 40 years before it was finally abolished, and internal pressure played a large part on the abolition. presumably, the CSA would take even longer to do that, considering their ruling classes (at the time of independence, at least) also have a fanatical ideological commitment to it that hardly existed in Brazil.

Last edited:
Again, we are talking about an amendment, not just some law. That requires more than some.
It is true that an amendment would require a higher amount of political support. But I suppose in the first post-war election, there is a plausible chance that more hardline slaveowners would sweep the board.
Again, why ?
Simple, money. As their sole legal trading partner, the CSA could charge a large markup on the slaves they sell.

It is true that an amendment would require a higher amount of political support. But I suppose in the first post-war election, there is a plausible chance that more hardline slaveowners would sweep the board.
A victory tends to make people more bold, so I can see the logic here, but the situation is far more complicated than that. There is for one the question of the exact state of post-war CSA. I do not see a war weary CSA doing something risky.

While not exactly “liberalize”, I can see a desperate Confederate States of America being forced to make certain changes and decisions by various powers, most likely Britain and France.

Co-sign this. A war circa 1885 is certainly possible...but so is a lasting peace. People cite France being pissed at Germany post 1871 as a model for USA/CSA relations but IMO that's not really a good model.

To quote a prior post of mine: "France and Prussia/Germany are A - historic rivals going back centuries who B - don't have the same shared culture/ethnicity or C - the same shared religion. Contrast those differences with the CSA/USA in this scenario."
They also ignore the centuries of wars that England and France had with each other and yet they fought on the same side in both world wars.

Last edited: