WI: Ford takes a "poker pause" before pardoning Nixon?

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Even when you have pretty much made up your mind, one version of the poker pause is to take a little bit extra time to feel your way through the decision. And you stay open to gathering a little more information if such is available. This is one reason poker players engage in table talk.

he might not do it? Ford did it because he believed (and the press fed this idea) that the public trusted him and they did, but this was far past what they were willing to trust, he didn't bother to tell his Press Secretary, who had told the press, based on what Ford himself said during his own VP confirmation hearings, that Ford wouldn't pardon Nixon, and so Jerald terHorst resigned the first thing the next morning, any ways if Ford gets a feel for the fall out, he doesn't do it, and 1/3rd of poor Ford's time would be dealing with Nixon legal issues.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
I read Ford's entire A Time To Heal, and then largely because I found him personally likeable and enjoyed how he told a story, I reread the entire book several months later.

I think it's great that Jerry Ford generally did not hold grudges, even though his biological father had done some pretty bad shit.

But . . . as far as why he pardoned Nixon, I couldn't get more than he thought the Watergate issue would eat up too much time on press conferences and the attention of the country ? ?

I mean, if a young athlete like Tim Tebow can figure out ways not to answer questions during press conferences and be confident and good-natured about it, certainly a political pro like Jerry Ford should be able to do the same thing.

There were/are rumors that it was part of a deal cooked up by Nixon and Alexander Haig. I don't know if I believe that since Ford had to have known months or weeks before Nixon decided to resign that he'd be president at some point, either Nixon would resign or Nixon would be impeached. I don't think anybody in their right mind in the spring of 1974 could've believed Nixon would be able serve out his term until January 20, 1977. Ford had to have known the presidency would be his eventually, so why make a deal with Nixon.

But I never understood why Ford didn't wait until after the 1974 midterm election in November to pardon Nixon. The GOP was still going to lose badly that year. But it might have saved a few Republicans in close races. Then pardon Nixon during the holiday season when people MIGHT have been less hostile towards news of the pardon.

Does anybody know if there was a reason other than the media's attention given to Watergate that Ford pardoned Nixon in September instead of waiting until after the midterms?

Realpolitik

Banned
There were/are rumors that it was part of a deal cooked up by Nixon and Alexander Haig. I don't know if I believe that since Ford had to have known months or weeks before Nixon decided to resign that he'd be president at some point, either Nixon would resign or Nixon would be impeached. I don't think anybody in their right mind in the spring of 1974 could've believed Nixon would be able serve out his term until January 20, 1977. Ford had to have known the presidency would be his eventually, so why make a deal with Nixon.

But I never understood why Ford didn't wait until after the 1974 midterm election in November to pardon Nixon. The GOP was still going to lose badly that year. But it might have saved a few Republicans in close races. Then pardon Nixon during the holiday season when people MIGHT have been less hostile towards news of the pardon.

Does anybody know if there was a reason other than the media's attention given to Watergate that Ford pardoned Nixon in September instead of waiting until after the midterms?

Because we had to move on. Preemptively, and going over the heads and against the desires of the media, if needed. Nothing was getting done, in terms of actual policy. This is when America's economy is in a period of decay, our foreign policy was being assaulted on all fronts, and we were generally paralyzed. If Ford waited, his Presidency would have been about Watergate and nothing else. Ford's instinct was just to try and get it done and force everybody to move on. The more he waits, the more controversial it'll be, and the more time is wasted. Watergate had to END. I would have been pissed about the pardon if I were around at the time, but in retrospect, I see it differently, as do many. To quote one blogger, it was not just the right thing to do, but the only thing to do. And I'm glad he got it done with early.

Insofar as his own election was concerned, Ford never really wanted to be President anyway. He ran in 1976 out of duty to the GOP and to prevent (futilely) a Reaganite takeover.

As a side note, Gerald Ford was a really, really decent man. Low-key, nice, down to earth, honest, non-manipulative, everything that his three predecessors weren't. Exactly what we needed after the last 15 years, when you think of what the US had gone through. Not brilliant or full of grandiose ideas, like JFK, LBJ, or Nixon. But stable and sane and preventing the worst. And eminently a better human being.

Last edited:
Because we had to move on. Preemptively, and going over the heads and against the desires of the media, if needed. Nothing was getting done, in terms of actual policy. This is when America's economy is in a period of decay, our foreign policy was being assaulted on all fronts, and we were generally paralyzed. If Ford waited, his Presidency would have been about Watergate and nothing else. Ford's instinct was just to try and get it done and force everybody to move on. The more he waits, the more controversial it'll be, and the more time is wasted. Watergate had to END. I would have been pissed about the pardon if I were around at the time, but in retrospect, I see it differently, as do many. To quote one blogger, it was not just the right thing to do, but the only thing to do. And I'm glad he got it done with early.

But at what long-term cost? Ford set a nasty precedent by pardoning Nixon of a crime he was never convicted of, one that I'm sure we're still sorting out.

And it isn't like Ford's Presidency didn't end up all about Watergate anyway. After pardoning Nixon that was the biggest thing about the Ford presidency outside of the Fall of Saigon and increasing economic woes. The best he got was SALT I and most of the legwork for that was already done by the time he got the VP slot.

1/3rd of poor Ford's time would be dealing with Nixon legal issues.

Because we had to move on. Preemptively, and going over the heads and against the desires of the media, if needed. Nothing was getting done, in terms of actual policy. This is when America's economy is in a period of decay, our foreign policy was being assaulted on all fronts, and we were generally paralyzed. If Ford waited, his Presidency would have been about Watergate and nothing else. Ford's instinct was just to try and get it done and force everybody to move on. The more he waits, the more controversial it'll be, and the more time is wasted.
I don't get it. Sure, the trial of Nixon would dominate the news but in what way would that consume Ford's time? It's largely the court's problem now, not his.

Realpolitik

Banned
But at what long-term cost? Ford set a nasty precedent by pardoning Nixon of a crime he was never convicted of, one that I'm sure we're still sorting out.

And it isn't like Ford's Presidency didn't end up all about Watergate anyway. After pardoning Nixon that was the biggest thing about the Ford presidency outside of the Fall of Saigon and increasing economic woes. The best he got was SALT I and most of the legwork for that was already done by the time he got the VP slot.

Think long and hard about what a Nixon trial would have been like in the coldest, non-partisan, realistic terms. First off, finding an impartial jury would have been a nightmare. I'm not even sure if it was possible for Nixon to get a fair trial in 1974. Choosing a certain area of the country meant you supported the defense or the prosecution. The public costs, the controversy... the trial probably would have taken YEARS. Everyone would pay attention to that, and nothing else. Not the economy or foreign policy. It will not just be a matter for the courts, not when it is this big. Congress will be busy planning partisan battles and witnesses and all the rest, especially if dirty laundry about the government as a whole gets revealed. Ford will inevitably have to deal with that given the increased power of Congress-and even if he didn't want to, he'll be even more powerless than OTL. He will be dragged into the trial inevitably, he has to somehow deal with Congress, who will be all about that. No decisions will be made or approved. It will overshadow the bicentennial, probably the 1976 election. And when it is finally over, no matter how the trial turns out, the nation will be partially outraged and ready to go for blood. You think America was polarized before? Wait 'till you see that.

Watergate had taken a life of its own by Fall of 1973. Nobody could control it. What happens if it continues...

The atmosphere, my God... :eek: the more extreme among Nixon's enemies probably wouldn't pleased unless he was publicly humiliated or died or something like that-damn the consequences. To quote Norman Mailer- "we won’t be happy until we cut Richard Nixon’s heart out and hold it high on the summit of the Presidential pyramid while an ooh goes up from the crowd”. This is one of the few men in history who can rival Barack Obama in the sheer bloodlust that he can awaken in his enemies. No charge, no low blow, will be off limits. And on the other side, the Reaganites are getting ready to take over the GOP and might defend Nixon as a martyr, regardless of fact. Forget the senators, think of the mob. It'll be a BLOODY CIRCUS. It'll be a miracle if there isn't violence at some point over the trial. Maybe I'm being overdramatic, but I just don't think it would end well. The vitriol will empower both extremes of the political spectrum, particularly the right. Those that think Nixon is a Nazi and Nixon is a martyr (both ridiculous but prevalent) are bound to clash. The partisanship will, again, make OTL look quaint. It'll be a miracle if anything gets done between the parties.

This is a white collar trial. Very technical, very boring. That will probably frustrate people further, and cement animosity. People are certain not to understand certain facts or ignore ones inconvenient to their point of view. There is also no precedent for a President being tried, with all the inevitable headaches that will come with that.

Remember the state of the defendant himself. Nixon is a lawyer. He will be very clever in defending himself, and probably strengthen his reputation among the far right. He will play every trick in the book. He knows how to bleed things out, use every appeal, stretch it to the point where it is costing billions in appeals. This will be in the type of dry, technical trial where the defendant has an advantage. Assuming he doesn't die (imagine if he coughs up blood or something in the trial) or kill himself, Nixon also knows a lot about our history and about the dirty little secrets about our government, as well as his predecessors, and the precedent they sent in some of the impeachable material. What if Nixon points out that his enemies idolized a strong Presidency until him with examples? The dirt he could bring up, the acerbic jokes he could make, the sarcastic, jibing innuendo that he would raise... I'm convinced one of the reasons that Ford was so insistent on the pardon was that he knew what Nixon the defendant could do to Capitol Hill. Nixon was at first reluctant to take the pardon because he felt that he defend, or at least make a last stand in court and do some damage to his enemies. He honestly felt that he could, and that's not based off of wishful thinking. If Nixon feels like he will be found guilty no matter what, he will have nothing left to lose-and will be dangerous, spiteful, and vengeful. He will do his damnedest to make sure that if he goes down and his reputation is blackened inevitably, the same will happen to a lot of DC. He'll wreck the system. He will make a mockery out of the trial. Imagine how many other trials we will need to set up for Congressmen and senators and FBI/CIA men if all the info was coming out... And Ford is probably going to again, be dragged into it, when Nixon inevitably gets questioned about US policy and the like.

What foreign countries think about the trial is another interesting subject for the wrong reasons. How will Nixon talk about the Fall of Saigon while he is on trial(and Vietnam will come up as a subject), and how will that set off the bubbling right wing in the country (I think they were really strengthened by the Fall of Saigon in the long term)? If the trial is still going when news about the Khmer Rouge starts to be leaked to the world, it will set off more debates-OTL, the opposing wings blame each other for Cambodia. This will only be worse ATL. What will Russia and China and the Arab world about the trial if foreign policy is raised as an issue-remember, the right and left wings are attacking it and the trial would increase this. What happens if they say that they support Nixon? Think about that-America's enemies are supporting the President in a trial against the press and Congress!

What will the world think? I'm not certain it will be a good or admiring reaction. "You are focusing on this idiocy over a petty coverup when you have other serious problems to think about. Your economy, your place in the world, etc... you already removed him from office, now it should be done" Remember-rightly or WRONGLY, a lot of the world at that TIME thinks that Watergate is a coup, or that Nixon's enemies are just prosecuting him for what they all do, or something like that. People will think that the US has lost its mind or is undergoing a complete show of moralistic hypocrisy. Even in Europe, healthy democracies mostly, this was largely the case. To quote one Frenchman: "Nixon was a sacrifice over guilt about Vietnam".

In short, it just was not a good idea in terms of cost vs benefits. I think people will wonder why Ford didn't pardon Nixon if he didn't, and skip the whole mess, and blame him. The scars would have taken even longer to heal, if they ever did. It would have accomplished nothing except giving the media the circus and ratings they want. Furthermore, it would not have set a precedent on abuse of power by Presidents-once the 70s are over, people are going to realize that having an overly powerful Congress wasn't as good of an idea as they thought. I have a feeling that a Watergate trial will not prevent Reagan from taking power anyway. Probably a lurch to the Democrats in 76, following by Reagan in 80 due to disgust, just like OTL. Our foreign policy is still going to hell, as is the economy America is going to seem weak, all the root causes of the conservative backlash are not butterflied away. And with that comes the quiet strengthening of the Presidency again. We might even be more right wing. Point is, it's not going to butterfly abuse of power. The increased partisanship might even encourage it. And no one is going to want to relive the whole process in the future.

There is a reason that Ford's pardon is lauded everywhere, 40 years later, outside websites with an ideological ax to grind against Richard Nixon. It was the right thing, or at least the lesser evil, for the country, plain and simple.

SALT I was done in 1972. SALT II was postponed until Carter partially due to Ford having trouble doing ANYTHING in foreign policy after the Nixon pardon and detente being attacked from both the left and the right-Congress was really asserting itself. You must mean the Vladivostok Summit, etc.

Yes-in HISTORY. At least in 1975, Watergate did not utterly dominate the news anymore and was not grabbing everyone else's attention. The government was finally focusing on running the country again.

Well... that was long. I just had images flashing before my eyes about what a possible trial would have been like, and it would not have been pretty.

Last edited:
Some of Nixon's comments during Watergate seemed almost suicidal - talking about disgraced generals of the past committing suicide, lamenting that he did not have pistol, etc. What if he commits suicide during the trial?

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . If the trial is still going when news about the Khmer Rouge starts to be leaked to the world, it will set off more debates-OTL, the opposing wings blame each other for Cambodia. .
This is probably the worse genocide of the 1970s. We should have moved quicker. Maybe we fought the wrong war, and maybe we should have kept our powder dry for this one. Or, maybe that's the wrong way to look at it and we should have had quick, highly useful international coalitions ready to move, much like the UN peacekeepers but even better, and be prepared for long, constructive, positive peacekeeping missions.

The second worse genocide of the 1970s is probably East Timor. And on this one, we supported the Indonesian invasion and occupation. Why? Well, because Indonesia was a Cold War ally and they knew the right language to use. And in the mindset of the times, a label of "communist" was often all it took.

PS I don't know too much about the Bengali or Bangladesh genocide and/or famine in the early 70s, although that sounds really bad, too.

*** And even if it's as many as five separate problems, well heck, five separate problems, we ought to be able to solve each and every one of them. Or at the very least, significantly improve each and every one of them.

Last edited:
Snip Well... that was long. I just had images flashing before my eyes about what a possible trial would have been like, and it would not have been pretty.

Thank you for this excellent balanced assessment. I agree with everything you have have written. Ford's pardon of Nixon shows the true courage that Ford had to do what was right even when it was not popular.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
How about the O.J. Simpson trial of 1995? Yes, there were so bad feelings. There were some also worthwhile discussion of the differential justice system faced by black and white persons.

Isn't it possible that enough Senators and Representatives, as older people, would use this as opportunities to give some avuncular advice? They could talk to families of both victims of crimes and those accused of crimes, and they could pass along information and questions and issues as they learned them. For example, I believe even today that once the police focus on someone as the prime suspect, they really want to make a case. The focus shifts from finding the truth to making a case, and this happens remarkably early in the process. And this is something we as citizens in a democracy should talk about.

I'm not saying the optimistic scenario would happen, but it might happen.

If Nixon felt he had done nothing wrong than he could have refused the pardon. Acceptance of the pardon, to a degree, is admission of guilt.

If Nixon felt he had done nothing wrong than he could have refused the pardon. Acceptance of the pardon, to a degree, is admission of guilt.

Okay, but what about accountability? If we're in the business of letting criminals walk just because punishing them would be too hard, isn't that just as bad? Those are exactly the kinds of crimes we don't want to let fall by the wayside. Is an admittedly ugly political circus really worse than basically abandoning rule of law as too much trouble?

A poker pause here doesnt make much sense. First, enough information was out to make a decision regarding a pardon. Second, poker pauses are often done with the intent of creating the perception that one is weighing their options even though they already have made their decision. That also doesnt make sense here as Watergate had dominated the headlines for over a year by then. The correct decision was to push the process forward in an expeditious manner regardless as to whether it would be a pardon or not.

Realpolitik

Banned
How about the O.J. Simpson trial of 1995? Yes, there were so bad feelings. There were some also worthwhile discussion of the differential justice system faced by black and white persons.

Isn't it possible that enough Senators and Representatives, as older people, would use this as opportunities to give some avuncular advice? They could talk to families of both victims of crimes and those accused of crimes, and they could pass along information and questions and issues as they learned them. For example, I believe even today that once the police focus on someone as the prime suspect, they really want to make a case. The focus shifts from finding the truth to making a case, and this happens remarkably early in the process. And this is something we as citizens in a democracy should talk about.

I'm not saying the optimistic scenario would happen, but it might happen.
A sports star is not the same as a President who knows national security secrets and dirt on every politician in Washington. And I highly, highly doubt, given the extreme feelings that existed toward the whole thing in that time period as well as the general polarization around him, that this would happen. There was just way too much bitterness.

Again, that was the main reason that he didn't want to take the pardon. He wanted to fight and "prove his innocence", or at the very least go down fighting. Late in his life in private, he would admit his guilt and admit that he deserved it all. But that was it. For some reason, his personality didn't let him ever do it public.

Why? Mostly because Nixon was the verge of death and had some serious bills to pay, legal and medical. He couldn't afford a trial. He didn't want to take the pardon, but in his state...

He also, for once in his life, I think, decided to do what was best for the country. It would have been really tempting to have a chance to cause some problems for his enemies at the trial, and used his MAD option, to avoid (in his view) becoming the scapegoat for the whole "dirty system". But he didn't. Parallels to LBJ deciding to basically abdicate in 1968 ring for me here-it was in his view, the ultimate sacrifice. The office meant everything to him.

You are free to think this is BS. But after spending a God-awful amount of time studying the man, this is what I think.

Okay, but what about accountability? If we're in the business of letting criminals walk just because punishing them would be too hard, isn't that just as bad? Those are exactly the kinds of crimes we don't want to let fall by the wayside. Is an admittedly ugly political circus really worse than basically abandoning rule of law as too much trouble?
First off, Nixon didn't get off completely scot-free. Aside from the fact that it looked like a real possibility that Nixon wouldn't even be fit to stand trial... One of the reasons that Ford wanted the pardon is after viewing him, he felt as though he had suffered enough. And LAME AS THIS SOUNDS... what he said in the last moments of the Frost interview is revealing. He knew that his legacy was going to be the man who let everybody down.

Second, its not that punishing him would have been too hard, it would have been utterly ruinous for the nation. Again-if I believe that it would have just been an ugly circus, I would join those who say that Ford's pardon was a bad idea. Maybe in a different time period, in a different context, it would have been the right thing to do. But not at the end of the long 60s. I think there is a difference between most political crimes, and this special situation.

You have put me in a philosophical mood, and I'll add some more later if I feel up to it. (I'm sick).

Realpolitik

Banned
Some of Nixon's comments during Watergate seemed almost suicidal - talking about disgraced generals of the past committing suicide, lamenting that he did not have pistol, etc. What if he commits suicide during the trial?

I think that if he would have committed suicide, he would have done so earlier. The backlash against the press and Nixon's antagonists would probably be very large, especially if it is publicly done.

If he gets to the trial, Nixon will fight. That's just his personality. He won't kill himself until after it is over.

Personally, I think it is unlikely. Nixon was always a very gloomy, pessimistic figure who would muse about such things-that didn't mean he would do it. Ironically, that might have helped save him. LBJ was a guy who committed slow motion suicide after he went back to Texas. Nixon, however, kept fighting to the last in 1994.

Realpolitik

Banned
This is probably the worse genocide of the 1970s. We should have moved quicker. Maybe we fought the wrong war, and maybe we should have kept our powder dry for this one. Or, maybe that's the wrong way to look at it and we should have had quick, highly useful international coalitions ready to move, much like the UN peacekeepers but even better, and be prepared for long, constructive, positive peacekeeping missions.

The second worse genocide of the 1970s is probably East Timor. And on this one, we supported the Indonesian invasion and occupation. Why? Well, because Indonesia was a Cold War ally and they knew the right language to use. And in the mindset of the times, a label of "communist" was often all it took.

PS I don't know too much about the Bengali or Bangladesh genocide and/or famine in the early 70s, although that sounds really bad, too.

*** And even if it's as many as five separate problems, well heck, five separate problems, we ought to be able to solve each and every one of them. Or at the very least, significantly improve each and every one of them.

Cambodia... I don't want to divert the thread too much. But in sum, I believe that no one in the USA is "responsible" for the Khmer Rouge in the sense that the accusers mean. Not our policy-makers. Not our anti-war people(Ludendorffism). Nobody. No one could have predicted the utter evil that was the Khmer Rouge. Ultimately responsibility goes to the Khmer Rouge themselves and their North Vietnamese backers-who later did overthrow them. However... one of America's darker pages shows itself here. Our policies-or more generally, treating Cambodia like a sideshow. Our Congress and their abnegation of responsibility. But the worst has to be, in my opinion, on those who love to flog others about human rights and portray themselves as heros.

NYT headliner: "Indochina without Americans: for most, a better life."

Our great press, the beacon of human rights. :rolleyes:

East Timor was mainly done because Suharto was our main ally in the region and with Indochina having fallen recently, we wanted to be in good with him.

Bangladesh was really nasty. Worse than East Timor. Funny how no one knows about it.

Last edited:

Realpolitik

Banned
Thank you for this excellent balanced assessment. I agree with everything you have have written. Ford's pardon of Nixon shows the true courage that Ford had to do what was right even when it was not popular.

And when he knew almost certainly it would cost him the Presidency.

I don't get it. Sure, the trial of Nixon would dominate the news but in what way would that consume Ford's time? It's largely the court's problem now, not his.

the tapes, where they the White House's (prosecutors views)? or Nixon's personal property (Nixon's view) ? as well as the fact that any ex-President gets perks from the executive branch, and how do you handle that while the ex-President is under investigation of felons? but the big thing was the war for the tapes