Most threads and discussions regarding alternative endings to the First World War revolve around either a quick, decisive victory in 1914 - most often on the basis of the Schlieffen Plan succeeding as intended - or a knock-down, drag-out fight to the bitter end in 1918 - where the Spring Offensive manages to punch through to Amiens and force a BEF retreat ala Zabecki's thesis. Meanwhile, if a negotiated settlement is the intended outcome, the scenario often posited is that Germany never resumes unrestricted submarine warfare or at the very least refrains from sending the Zimmerman Telegram, so the United States does not join the war, which causes subsequent financial hardships for the Entente that might force them to come to the table with the Central Powers. All these ATLs have been litigated to death and beyond, so I'd like to propose what seems to be a lesser-known opportunity for peace in the Great War.

In July of 1917, the German Reichstag passed the so-called "Peace Resolution" that called for a peace without indemnities or annexations. Shortly afterwards in August, Pope Benedict XV published his own call for an end to the war that suggested a return to the status quo ante bellum and the restoration of Belgium sovereignty. This led to a series of events wherein:​
  • The Count de Salis, Britain's representative at the Vatican, made it known to the Curia that negotiations were hardly possible as long as the Germans were unwilling to make appropriate restitutions for the damages they had dealt to Belgium, with Ribot, Prime Minister of France, actually attaching his name to de Salis' message.​
  • The Papal nuncio in Munich passed on this seeming probing for terms by the Entente to Germany's State Secretary for Foreign Affairs, von Kühlmann, who subsequently gained permission from Wilhelm II to make concessions in Belgium in order to induce Britain to make peace and restrain France's revanchism regarding Alsace-Lorraine.​
  • Villalobar, the Spanish representative to Belgium, was then asked by Kühlmann to communicate this offer to the British, but Villalobar neglected to do so personally, and when the Spanish embassy eventually conveyed his message to London, Kühlmann's specific Belgian proposal had been watered down to a mere invitation for peace talks.​
  • Despite this, the British, and David Lloyd George in particular, were sufficiently intrigued by Kühlmann's overture that a Cabinet meeting on September 24th, 1917, came startlingly close to at least hearing out the Germans, with the final decision being deferred to a meeting the next day at Boulogne with Painlevé, the new Prime Minister of France.​
  • The sources I've found differ on whether it was Lloyd George or Painlevé who ultimately shot down the idea to negotiate with Kühlmann, but they agree that both men were interested at one stage or another in Kühlmann's "peace kite", and the prospect of a peace on the Western Front at Russia's expense seemed a genuine possibility.​
During the entire episode, the French were also dealing with their own secret discussions with the Germans, with Baron von Lancken, head of Germany's civic administration in Belgium, engaging in extensive conversations with Briand, yet another former Prime Minister of France, on the matter of Alsace-Lorraine. Briand was led to believe that the lost provinces could be recovered, but his personal rivalries with Ribot led to the secret exchanges becoming muddled, confused, and downright manipulated such that the British thought Briand was willing to pursue separate peace talks with Germany, which was most certainly not the case. At the same time, Austria-Hungary's Count Czernin was desperately seeking a way out of the war as per Charles I's instructions, with the young Emperor going so far as to be willing to recognize France's "just claims" to Alsace-Lorraine, retreat from Serbia, and support an independent Belgium to boot!

Historians question if Kühlmann's offer was ever really a genuine olive branch extended by the German government or just the State Secretary's cynical attempt to drive a wedge between Britain and France as 1917 came to a close. However, the 1914-1918 Encyclopedia describes Kühlmann's attempt at peace to be "very serious", and for the purposes of this discussion, I'd like to presume that there was indeed a window of time for the Entente and Central Powers to come together and talk things out. The easiest POD in my mind would be for Villalobar to make clear to the British that a free Belgium was on the table, thus inducing the September 24th Cabinet meeting to vote in favour of opening a discreet channel to Berlin, hence leading the French to follow suit using their existing contacts such as Briand and von Lancken. Another possibility is that Ribot and Briand do not allow their personal feud to get in the way of affairs of state, so the Boulogne meeting of September 25th results in the French convincing Lloyd George that peace is indeed an option. Once the ball gets rolling on proper negotiations, other secret communications like those involving Czernin could also be included as the Entente tries to pressure Germany on the one hand and the Central Powers attempt to uphold a united front on the other. The sentiment for peace, at least in Germany, Britain, and France's civilian governments, was present; they only needed someone to take the first step.

I believe that the military situation in autumn 1917 pointed favourably towards the Entente seeking peace as well. American troops had not yet fought in any battles or even arrived in the trenches, and Kerensky's Provisional Government was in its death throes after the failure of his namesake offensive and the abortive Kornilov Affair. In October, the Battle of Caporetto would see the Italians routed with massive loss of life and territory as the Isonzo deadlock was decisively broken by a combined German/Austro-Hungarian attack (and indeed, if Germany and Austria-Hungary could come to terms with Britain and France over Belgium and Alsace-Lorraine, the greatest obstacle to peace would be Italy's intransigence over its Treaty of London claims on Habsburg lands, which might mean that OHL provides more units for the Caporetto offensive that sees the Italian lines collapse harder still, perhaps to the extent originally anticipated by the Italian government and high command themselves). Come November, the Bolsheviks seizing power in Moscow and Petrograd should absolutely terrify the Entente with the spectre of a unilateral Russian withdrawal from the war (as indeed happened), further motivating French and British diplomats to come to terms with their German counterparts. These developments did not lead to a compromise peace OTL, but in the context of ongoing and potentially fruitful negotiations, they would be powerful and very persuasive factors to consider.

So what was Kühlmann actually offering, and could they lead to said fruitful negotiations? As stated, Kühlmann was willing to restore to Belgium its political and territorial sovereignty - most pertinently to Britain's interests, this included Germany dropping any claim to the Belgian coastline and explicitly giving up the idea of naval bases in the Low Countries, a key security concern which has motivated British continental diplomacy since the Napoleonic Wars. In return, Kühlmann seemed to expect the Entente to recognize Germany's pre-war borders (in line with the Reichstag's Peace Resolution), overseas colonies included. Lloyd George was not opposed to reconsidering the status of Germany's colonies, even at the possible cost of alienating South Africa if German South West Africa is returned, but a far larger stickling point would have been Alsace-Lorraine. Bethmann-Hollweg and Michaelis after him appeared to have at least pondered minor commercial, economic, and even territorial concessions in A-L, yet this would have been a far cry from French demands for the entire province. Worsening the odds of untangling this deadlock was the fact that IOTL, after the British rejected Villalobar's entreaties, Kühlmann himself declared to the Reichstag that there would be no compromise on the matter of A-L. The only "saving grace" for a possible negotiated peace lies in three factors: 1) the British refusal to commit themselves to an unconditional reconquest of A-L in full, as opposed to partitioning the province or providing security guarantees to Germany such as a demilitarized zone or free access to its mines (some pessimistic French observers went as far as to say Lloyd George was supportive of a plebiscite!); 2) the Austro-Hungarian push for A-L to be returned to France in exchange for peace, on the basis of which Czernin was musing that Austrian Galicia might be ceded to the German-dominated Kingdom of Poland in a territory swap straight out of the 18th century; and 3) the French civilian leadership's own fanciful projects to regain A-L by granting colonial concessions, with Painlevé in particular being allegedly willing to strike a "reasonable understanding" (again drawing on the 1914-1918 Encyclopedia, he offered the Belgian Congo and French Indochina?!). Any agreement on A-L would involve a lot of give-and-take from every party, though not to an impossible degree IMO.

Given all this information, here's my very back-of-the-napkin sketch for what a Kühlmann Peace Kite might look like in practice:​
  • Belgian independence is restored and recognized by the Entente and Central Powers alike.​
  • Germany pays indemnities for damages dealt to Belgium OR Germany gains economic leverage over Belgium by rebuilding and integrating its infrastructure, depending on your POV.​
  • No indemnities are otherwise paid to or received by any party in the war.​
  • Alsace-Lorraine is returned to France with suitable commercial concessions in place for German business interests.​
  • Germany loses all its pre-war overseas colonies save for German East Africa, but gains the Belgian Congo and French Indochina.​
  • Austria-Hungary withdraws from Serbia and Montenegro, and cedes Galicia to the Kingdom of Poland.​
  • Bulgaria maintains its extant borders uti possidetis, specifically against Serbia.​
  • The Ottoman Empire cedes Syria, Palestine, and Mesopotamia to Britain and France.​
  • The Central Powers gain an effective free hand against Bolshevik Russia come the campaign season of 1918.​
In which Germany is convinced to pay indemnities to Belgium under the guise of fostering closer economic ties (still a strategic objective for both Wilhelm II and Kühlmann), A-L is resolved by France giving colonies to Germany (which also made it easier to accept the occupation of German holdings in Africa and Asia), Austria-Hungary exits the war intact and spared from its final defeat at the Piave River (without the headache of having to figure out what to do with occupied Serbia), Bulgaria makes out like a bandit (having honestly pulled their weight and then some on the Salonika Front), and the Ottomans lose the Middle East though with an opportunity to recoup its losses by moving against Russia (something Enver Pasha might have preferred anyhow, given his OTL adventures in Bukhara). Of course, OHL is unlikely to be pleased by this measly ceasefire made by civilians and politicians, and to appease Hindenburg and Ludendorff's faction of hardcore militarists, it is very probable that Max Hoffmann's plan to institute a regime change in Russia would be greenlit in a colossal Drang nach Osten.

All this being said, what do people think about the idea of a Great War that is over by Christmas 1917? I like the Kühlmann POD because it is both rather underutilized in alternate history and neatly sidesteps many of the usual points of conflict discussed in these threads, while introducing new unresolved questions and tense uncertainties. There is likely no Brest-Litovsk, no Kiel Mutiny or German Revolution, and even the Fourteen Points are butterflied away. Germany has managed to retain at least some of its overseas colonies and is likely to gain more in Eastern Europe, French politics would be unrecognizable without Clemenceau while having to regularly negotiate with Germany over A-L, Wilson never gets to play the saviour of Europe but nor does he fall from such glittering heights, there is no Hundred Days Offensive to vindicate the operational and tactical triumph of the Entente, and an economic downturn might sweep across Europe with no indemnities extracted from or yielded to any nation in the war. The Spanish Flu could be butterflied away, or constrained only to America/China/Spain/etc., depending on where you think the pandemic originated from. Most importantly, millions of lives would be saved by the bloodshed being brought to an end one whole year earlier than IOTL.

If I appear too generous to the Central Powers in my thoughts, I probably overestimated the impact of the aforementioned military and political developments in October and November 1917 on any discussions for peace. I welcome any feedback and constructive criticism others have to offer! Since Belgium plays such a central role in this entire scenario, I would appreciate sources on what Albert himself thought of the possibility of a separate peace with Germany. Likewise, this concept is very Western Europe-centric, and how Italy and the Ottomans, two of the largest "losers" ITTL, would take Kühlmann's peace is something I am quite unsure about. What the Balkans and Eastern Europe will look like either on the map or in terms of domestic politics are also largely reliant on my spitballing. Would the US even go along with such a peace after having gone to the trouble of declaring war, or would most Americans be happy that they do not have to fight in the trenches? How about Lenin and Trotsky in Russia trying to convince their fellow Soviets that a humiliating surrender to the Kaiser would be infinitely better than to see the Revolution smothered by German stormtroopers? I look forward to hearing your thoughts, hopefully I have provided enough context and information to start an interesting conversation. :)

Some of the references I consulted while making this post were:​
  1. Fest, W. B. “British War Aims and German Peace Feelers during the First World War (December 1916-November 1918).” The Historical Journal 15, no. 2 (1972): 285–308. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2638122.​
  2. Stevenson, David. “The Failure of Peace by Negotiation in 1917.” The Historical Journal 34, no. 1 (1991): 65–86. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2639708.​
  3. Soutou, Georges-Henri. “War Aims and War Aims Discussions.” 1914-1918-online. International Encyclopedia of the First World War, ed. by Ute Daniel, Peter Gatrell, Oliver Janz, Heather Jones, Jennifer Keene, Alan Kramer, and Bill Nasson, issued by Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin 2017-04-06. DOI: 10.15463/ie1418.10240/1.1.​
  4. Woodward, David R. “David Lloyd George. A Negotiated Peace with Germany, and the Kuhlmann Peace Kite of September, 1917.” Canadian Journal of History 6, no. 1 (1971): 75-94. https://doi.org/10.3138/cjh.6.1.75.​
  5. Woodward, David R. “Britain's "Brass-Hats" and the Question of a Compromise Peace, 1916-1918.” Military Affairs 35, no. 2 (1971):63-68. https://www.jstor.org/stable/1985047.​

Last edited:
Based on the evidence, I can be convinced that the factors are there to make a peace possible. However I think that to be successful any secret peace negotiations would have to be followed by a public armistice and public peace negotiations. Mostly because I don't think there's any modern examples for the logistics of implementing a secret peace treaty militarily and politically.

So at that point US, Italy, etc would get some say in negotiations, with the secret Kulhmann terms serving as a starting point. The final terms would look significantly altered from the starting point, with the risk to be derailed entirely as stuff keep being added. Doesn't sound like a 1917 peace treaty is impossible, but would be a very thread the needle type of situation. But sure, I can accept it.

Last edited:
Based on the evidence, I can be convinced that the factors are there to make a peace possible. However I think that to be successful any secret peace negotiations would have to be followed by a public armistice and public peace negotiations. Mostly because I don't think there's any modern examples for the logistics of implementing a secret peace treaty militarily and politically.

So at that point US, Italy, etc would get some say in negotiations, with the secret Kulhmann terms serving as a starting point. The final terms would look significantly altered from the starting point, with the risk to be derailed entirely as things keep being added. Doesn't sound like a 1917 peace treaty is impossible, but would be a very thread the needle type of situation.
Secret diplomacy followed by open discussions does seem to have been Kühlmann's game plan, with the Papacy of all people being called on to play a pivotal part - according to Kühlmann, the reasons he did not simply make a public, unilateral declaration that Germany was willing to evacuate Belgium was because: 1) such a statement would elicit demands from Germany's allies for guarantees of their war aims, demands Germany was not in a position to uphold; 2) the overall sentiment in Germany was not one for peace, which made sense since Kühlmann was sharing the room with the likes of Wilhelm II, OHL, and Zimmermann, none of whom were known for their stellar diplomatic credentials IOTL; and 3) Kühlmann's hands were tied by a Crown Council that took place on September 11th, 1917, where he got permission to offer independence to Belgium...with economic guarantees that might sour Britain on the sincerity of his offer, so he must tread carefully. Where the Papacy came in was that Kühlmann planned/hoped for confirmation the British were willing to trade Belgium for Germany's overseas colonies, followed by backroom talks to hammer out a proper deal, before finally allowing the Pope to announce Germany's intention to restore Belgian sovereignty in full. After this admittedly complicated series of moves, actual negotiations could begin. As things stood OTL, the plan never got past the "confirmation" stage, since Villalobar failed to communicate Kühlmann's Belgian offer properly.

There's something to be said about the shifted social, cultural, and religious scene in an ATL Europe where the drive for peace rested on the Holy See as a lynchpin. We might see much deeper religiosity amongst Europeans in general, especially as Belgium, France, Germany, and Italy all had significant Catholic populations. For Germany specifically, the fact that Zentrum exists at all and the role prominent Catholic politicians like Matthias Erzberger would have played in any peace negotiations should make for wonderful power dynamics between the Kaisereich and the Church. The name of the Papal nuncio assigned to Munich was one Eugenio Pacelli, just in case anyone was curious, and he was the Curia's mover-and-shaker behind this entire stunt. Perhaps even more interesting is how Italy receives the Pope's message if Benedict XV does actually help preside over a peace where Italian irredentism is quashed - I can't imagine a happy ending here.

I've also dug more deeply into Albert's interest in potential separate peace treaties with Germany, and my research suggests that most of these were floated in 1915 and early 1916, with none getting all that far. However, Belgium did make a point of asserting an independent foreign policy as an "associated" rather than "allied" nation to the Entente, and Belgian ministers tried stubbornly to give separate replies to diplomatic overtures by both Germany and the United States, though not always successfully. Likewise, Albert had no interest in a war to the death with Germany, and seemed to desire only reasonable security guarantees, proper reparations as a victim of unprovoked aggression, and full independence unfettered by economic or military fine print. I'm not sure how attached the King was to the Belgian Congo, but he might be agreeable to opening up the colony for German investment and development if that was what it took to free his country without any more war. At any rate, I feel that Albert would find Kühlmann's peace very tempting, and might be one of its proponents should it become common knowledge.

On a final note, I have been reconsidering the losses and/or gains made by Italy and the Ottoman Empire. My original draft of the Peace Kite saw Italy leave the war with no gains whatsoever, which was probably too harsh, since Charles I was willing to concede the Italian-speaking portions of South Tyrol and possibly even Trentino during the Sixtus Affair. Much depends on how TTL's alt-Caporetto unfolds, though what has been made eminently clear to me over the course of my research is that Britain and France simply lacked the popular mandate to keep fighting on the Western Front if their demands in Belgium and Alsace-Lorraine were satisfied. Once peace negotiations are relatively out in the open, Kühlmann could rest his case with the British and French public to exert pressure on their elected leaders to make peace, regardless of Italy's nationalistic or imperialistic designs. Similarly, the British were far less along their Palestine campaign in late 1917 than I first thought, having only just captured Jerusalem by December, so France would likely not acquire Syria ITTL. What's more, the Bolsheviks publishing the Sykes-Picot Agreement in November would throw a wrench into any discussion on the future of the Ottoman Empire at the peace table, with the opportunity existing to split the British and French on the issue. Finally, one of the Cabinet members most opposed to Kühlmann's diplomacy was Balfour, of Balfour Declaration fame - which happened in November. In an ATL where the Entente and Central Powers are actively hashing out an end to the war, not only would Balfour's influence be correspondingly decreased, the British might also shy away from encouraging Zionist sentiments to avoid dragging out the negotiations. Which would have absolutely massive implications for Palestine, the Middle East, and world peace as a whole. However, the British could also decide that the Zionists are a safer bet than the Arabs in a world where they are likely to only receive Palestine, so go ahead with the Declaration anyways. Either or.

Two more sources I consulted while researching Albert's outlook on the war and the Papacy's role in Kühlmann's gambit were:​
  1. Althann, Robert. “Papal Mediation during the First World War.” Studies: An Irish Quarterly Review 61, no. 243 (1972): 219–40. http://www.jstor.org/stable/30087981.​
  2. Palo, Michael F. “Belgium's Response to the Peace Initiatives of December 1916: An Exercise in Diplomatic Self-Determination.” The Historian 42, no. 4 (1980): 583-597. https://www.jstor.org/stable/24446201.​
Does anyone else have ideas? Should I try to make a TLDR summary of everything I've posted so far? Any comments would be welcome!

Last edited:
It's an interesting idea, but I'm sceptical about any peace that leaves Germany with a free hand in the East - the prospect of the Germans getting to create client states from the Baltic to the Black Sea would be an absolute nightmare for the Entente.

... Should I try to make a TLDR summary of everything I've posted so far? Any comments would be welcome!
Yep, something alike would be fine, IMHO esp. some kinda 'timetable' (as exactly as possibel ;)) to put the political/diplomatical action in proper relation to the militaryly events.

In general : GREAT IDEA sofar though I haven't read on all the sources you offered and reviewed possible other sources sitting on my shelfs and hard drives possibly fitting this scenario yet.

Nevertheless ... some comments so far:
  • Alsace-Lorraine is returned to France with suitable commercial concessions in place for German business interests.
As @Nivek has said: ceding Elsaß-Lothringen seems also to me VERY improbable.
Despite getting rid of would GREATLY relief the Reichs-leadership from the shenanigans started (and uphold through out the war) in Sept 1914 by the bavarian king for some Vienna 1815 congress like 'parcelling' out of Elsaß-Lothringen between :
HIM and Bavaria (which he saw fully capable of 'reliefing' the other german princes and their state of the 'burden' of germanisation of the Alsatians ...*)​
Prussian​
Badenia​
Württembergia​
(he even managed to involve Oldenburgia and Saxony in his schemes ... 😳)
the other way'round with some 'favorable' conditions for french economy and/or 'culturtal' institutions might be sellable for Kühlmann to the gross of german politicians.
  • Austria-Hungary withdraws from Serbia and Montenegro, and cedes Galicia to the Kingdom of Poland.
Despite our hindsighteeres 'knowledge' of intra-austro-hungarian infightings and their desirable avoidance (in our eyes, such 'troubles' were kinda 'daily milk and bread' for said politicians😉) A-H couldn't afford to go out of the war without any 'real' punishment of Serbia. And regardless propagandistical mouth-services by Britain and France the latter would have been happy to throw this 'known troublemaker of the Balkans' under the bus.
Therefore IMHO Swerbia would - to keep intra-imperial squabble as low as possible though not avoidable - become some much reduced puppet-'kingdom' as well as would Montenegro. ... maybe even the two 'united' in kinda belgianesque way (though I don't really know how strong cultural differences actually were in this times). Well reduced by some bulgarian share.

... Galicia to Poland? ... well :... only if eventually a habsburgian is made king (regardless of actual influence behind the scenes on daily politics within this new kingdom). as was discussed and largly agreed several times during the every changing discussions between everybody (prussians, germans(Reichs-level), austrian, poles ...) involved.
With some further 'tweaking' of the habsburgian House Laws (which already gave the head of unprecedented leverage over every member of even if head of a state in its own) Karl might upheld the image of still having something to say (or it might be sold to him this way)**.

You can't let Austro-hungary leave the war on the winners side with only losses on all edges.
  • Germany loses all its pre-war overseas colonies save for German East Africa, but gains the Belgian Congo and French Indochina.
... very likely these losses, but ... French Indochina seems to me MUCH too much of a concession of France to offer. This I would simply scrap. ... not ast least as there wasn't any possible power-projection of the CP into either region and hot swampy mosquito-ridden Indochine was never something the germans were fond of.
South-East also very likely goes to South Africa if only for the british goverment to 'exemplarily' let the dominions participate on their 'not-loosing' the war.
Congo ... how about that (an idea already fostered prewar by the german State Secretary for colonial affairs Wilhelm Solf):
make the region of the Congo General Act (free-trade region withion central africa agreed upon on the Berlin conference 1884) maybe enlarged by the adjacent territories of all of Cameroon, Mozambique (or at least northern Mozambique?), Portuguise West-Africa (Angola) and Rhodesia (maybe also Brit. East-Africa/Kenia?) one commonly administered united 'mandate for development (... of the there living peoples to be properkly edicated and neared to civilazation ...)​
IOTL Solf offered/asked/fought prewar (and even shortly after it began) to somehow by treaty exclude all of the african colonies from fighting. ... to not deliver the 'lower nations' some spectacle of the civilized nations fighting - and killing in that process - each other.

• The Central Powers gain an effective free hand against Bolshevik Russia come the campaign season of 1918.
For the reason of - lacking - power projection (see above) such an ... 'offer' by the western Entente would be rather hollow and therefore on no side a coin of much interest or weight. ... IMHO

*Karl-Heinz Janßen ; Macht und Verblendung - Kriegszielpolitik der deutschen Bundesstaaten 1914-1918 (Power and Delusion - war aim politics of the german allaince/confederation states 1914-1918
** Heinz Lemke ; Allianz und Rivalität - Die Mittelmächte und Polen im ersten Weltkrieg The Central Powers and Poland in first world war

However, as said even ITTL much would depend on the "when" actually esp. regarding Italy and the Ottomans.

The situation in occupied Eastern Europe is interesting.
Starting from North:
1. Murmansk is full of supplies, and Vikzhel (The executive committee of the All-Russian Union of Railwaymen) is still united and the de-facto kingmaker in the country.
2. The Senate declares itself as the highest legislative authority in the Grand Duchy of Finland on July 18th. This declaration is at first accepted by the Russians, followed by Kerensky's decision to disband the current Finnish parliament and call for new elections. The Red and White sides are both arming themselves, and the local food supplies are running low.
3. The frontline further south runs from the outskirts of Riga to Dvinsk, and from there nearly directly southwards all the way to the Carpathians and from there to the Black Sea.
If the peace negotiations start from this point, Germans could claim Lithuania, Poland and control of Romania.
Eastern_Front_As_of_1917.jpg

Garrison

Donor
Most threads and discussions regarding alternative endings to the First World War revolve around either a quick, decisive victory in 1914 - most often on the basis of the Schlieffen Plan succeeding as intended - or a knock-down, drag-out fight to the bitter end in 1918 - where the Spring Offensive manages to punch through to Amiens and force a BEF retreat ala Zabecki's thesis. Meanwhile, if a negotiated settlement is the intended outcome, the scenario often posited is that Germany never resumes unrestricted submarine warfare or at the very least refrains from sending the Zimmerman Telegram, so the United States does not join the war, which causes subsequent financial hardships for the Entente that might force them to come to the table with the Central Powers. All these ATLs have been litigated to death and beyond, so I'd like to propose what seems to be a lesser-known opportunity for peace in the Great War.

In July of 1917, the German Reichstag passed the so-called "Peace Resolution" that called for a peace without indemnities or annexations. Shortly afterwards in August, Pope Benedict XV published his own call for an end to the war that suggested a return to the status quo ante bellum and the restoration of Belgium sovereignty. This led to a series of events wherein:​
And there's your fundamental problem. The Germans have trashed large parts of Belgium and France during their occupation. Everyone just packing up and going back to their corners is a win for the Germans in 1917, especially assuming Russia still collapses. it is not a white peace or a return to the status quo ante.

Germany get no new colonies in Africa and most likely will loose some or all of them. Keeping German East Africa is probably out because of the British idea of a Cape to Cairo swath, evidenced by Rhodes idea of a railroad from Cairo to the Cape. They might however have a chance at Southwest Africa, they had not found the resources there in any abundance like the rest of South Africa, and may have a shot at Kameron. They would not receive any French or Belgian colonies because the UK wants them out of Africa as much as possible.

As for the Asia, Tsingtao for example, and the German Pacific islands they would have to negotiate with Japan itself. They have no leverage over Japan and have no way to reach there to force them to give them up.

Wasn't South Africa pretty insistent on gaining South-West Africa?
I was thinking of a trade off for German East Africa. There was also the possibility of having a "Treaty Port" situation if the Germans loose East Africa with getting something like Zanzibar and having a just a presence in Walvis Bay for example also.

I was thinking of a trade off for German East Africa. There was also the possibility of having a "Treaty Port" situation if the Germans loose East Africa with getting something like Zanzibar and having a just a presence in Walvis Bay for example also.
I am pretty sure the British do not want a German U-boat base in the Indian Ocean.

Germany get no new colonies in Africa and most likely will loose some or all of them. Keeping German East Africa is probably out because of the British idea of a Cape to Cairo swath, evidenced by Rhodes idea of a railroad from Cairo to the Cape. They might however have a chance at Southwest Africa, they had not found the resources there in any abundance like the rest of South Africa, and may have a shot at Kameron. They would not receive any French or Belgian colonies because the UK wants them out of Africa as much as possible.
Did that was a real idea of just rhodes fantasies?

• The Count de Salis, Britain's representative at the Vatican, made it known to the Curia that negotiations were hardly possible as long as the Germans were unwilling to make appropriate restitutions for the damages they had dealt to Belgium, with Ribot, Prime Minister of France, actually attaching his name to de Salis' message.​
  • The Papal nuncio in Munich passed on this seeming probing for terms by the Entente to Germany's State Secretary for Foreign Affairs, von Kühlmann, who subsequently gained permission from Wilhelm II to make concessions in Belgium in order to induce Britain to make peace and restrain France's revanchism regarding Alsace-Lorraine.​
  • Villalobar, the Spanish representative to Belgium, was then asked by Kühlmann to communicate this offer to the British, but Villalobar neglected to do so personally, and when the Spanish embassy eventually conveyed his message to London, Kühlmann's specific Belgian proposal had been watered down to a mere invitation for peace talks.​
  • Despite this, the British, and David Lloyd George in particular, were sufficiently intrigued by Kühlmann's overture that a Cabinet meeting on September 24th, 1917, came startlingly close to at least hearing out the Germans, with the final decision being deferred to a meeting the next day at Boulogne with Painlevé, the new Prime Minister of France.​
  • The sources I've found differ on whether it was Lloyd George or Painlevé who ultimately shot down the idea to negotiate with Kühlmann, but they agree that both men were interested at one stage or another in Kühlmann's "peace kite", and the prospect of a peace on the Western Front at Russia's expense seemed a genuine possibility.​
During the entire episode, the French were also dealing with their own secret discussions with the Germans, with Baron von Lancken, head of Germany's civic administration in Belgium, engaging in extensive conversations with Briand, yet another former Prime Minister of France, on the matter of Alsace-Lorraine. Briand was led to believe that the lost provinces could be recovered, but his personal rivalries with Ribot led to the secret exchanges becoming muddled, confused, and downright manipulated such that the British thought Briand was willing to pursue separate peace talks with Germany, which was most certainly not the case. At the same time, Austria-Hungary's Count Czernin was desperately seeking a way out of the war as per Charles I's instructions, with the young Emperor going so far as to be willing to recognize France's "just claims" to Alsace-Lorraine, retreat from Serbia, and support an independent Belgium to boot!

Historians question if Kühlmann's offer was ever really a genuine olive branch extended by the German government or just the State Secretary's cynical attempt to drive a wedge between Britain and France as 1917 came to a close. However, the 1914-1918 Encyclopedia describes Kühlmann's attempt at peace to be "very serious", and for the purposes of this discussion, I'd like to presume that there was indeed a window of time for the Entente and Central Powers to come together and talk things out. The easiest POD in my mind would be for Villalobar to make clear to the British that a free Belgium was on the table, thus inducing the September 24th Cabinet meeting to vote in favour of opening a discreet channel to Berlin, hence leading the French to follow suit using their existing contacts such as Briand and von Lancken. Another possibility is that Ribot and Briand do not allow their personal feud to get in the way of affairs of state, so the Boulogne meeting of September 25th results in the French convincing Lloyd George that peace is indeed an option. Once the ball gets rolling on proper negotiations, other secret communications like those involving Czernin could also be included as the Entente tries to pressure Germany on the one hand and the Central Powers attempt to uphold a united front on the other. The sentiment for peace, at least in Germany, Britain, and France's civilian governments, was present; they only needed someone to take the first step.

I believe that the military situation in autumn 1917 pointed favourably towards the Entente seeking peace as well. American troops had not yet fought in any battles or even arrived in the trenches, and Kerensky's Provisional Government was in its death throes after the failure of his namesake offensive and the abortive Kornilov Affair. In October, the Battle of Caporetto would see the Italians routed with massive loss of life and territory as the Isonzo deadlock was decisively broken by a combined German/Austro-Hungarian attack (and indeed, if Germany and Austria-Hungary could come to terms with Britain and France over Belgium and Alsace-Lorraine, the greatest obstacle to peace would be Italy's intransigence over its Treaty of London claims on Habsburg lands, which might mean that OHL provides more units for the Caporetto offensive that sees the Italian lines collapse harder still, perhaps to the extent originally anticipated by the Italian government and high command themselves). Come November, the Bolsheviks seizing power in Moscow and Petrograd should absolutely terrify the Entente with the spectre of a unilateral Russian withdrawal from the war (as indeed happened), further motivating French and British diplomats to come to terms with their German counterparts. These developments did not lead to a compromise peace OTL, but in the context of ongoing and potentially fruitful negotiations, they would be powerful and very persuasive factors to consider.

So what was Kühlmann actually offering, and could they lead to said fruitful negotiations? As stated, Kühlmann was willing to restore to Belgium its political and territorial sovereignty - most pertinently to Britain's interests, this included Germany dropping any claim to the Belgian coastline and explicitly giving up the idea of naval bases in the Low Countries, a key security concern which has motivated British continental diplomacy since the Napoleonic Wars. In return, Kühlmann seemed to expect the Entente to recognize Germany's pre-war borders (in line with the Reichstag's Peace Resolution), overseas colonies included. Lloyd George was not opposed to reconsidering the status of Germany's colonies, even at the possible cost of alienating South Africa if German South West Africa is returned, but a far larger stickling point would have been Alsace-Lorraine. Bethmann-Hollweg and Michaelis after him appeared to have at least pondered minor commercial, economic, and even territorial concessions in A-L, yet this would have been a far cry from French demands for the entire province. Worsening the odds of untangling this deadlock was the fact that IOTL, after the British rejected Villalobar's entreaties, Kühlmann himself declared to the Reichstag that there would be no compromise on the matter of A-L. The only "saving grace" for a possible negotiated peace lies in three factors: 1) the British refusal to commit themselves to an unconditional reconquest of A-L in full, as opposed to partitioning the province or providing security guarantees to Germany such as a demilitarized zone or free access to its mines (some pessimistic French observers went as far as to say Lloyd George was supportive of a plebiscite!); 2) the Austro-Hungarian push for A-L to be returned to France in exchange for peace, on the basis of which Czernin was musing that Austrian Galicia might be ceded to the German-dominated Kingdom of Poland in a territory swap straight out of the 18th century; and 3) the French civilian leadership's own fanciful projects to regain A-L by granting colonial concessions, with Painlevé in particular being allegedly willing to strike a "reasonable understanding" (again drawing on the 1914-1918 Encyclopedia, he offered the Belgian Congo and French Indochina?!). Any agreement on A-L would involve a lot of give-and-take from every party, though not to an impossible degree IMO.

Given all this information, here's my very back-of-the-napkin sketch for what a Kühlmann Peace Kite might look like in practice:​
  • Belgian independence is restored and recognized by the Entente and Central Powers alike.​
  • Germany pays indemnities for damages dealt to Belgium OR Germany gains economic leverage over Belgium by rebuilding and integrating its infrastructure, depending on your POV.​
  • No indemnities are otherwise paid to or received by any party in the war.​
  • Alsace-Lorraine is returned to France with suitable commercial concessions in place for German business interests.​
  • Germany loses all its pre-war overseas colonies save for German East Africa, but gains the Belgian Congo and French Indochina.​
  • Austria-Hungary withdraws from Serbia and Montenegro, and cedes Galicia to the Kingdom of Poland.​
  • Bulgaria maintains its extant borders uti possidetis, specifically against Serbia.​
  • The Ottoman Empire cedes Syria, Palestine, and Mesopotamia to Britain and France.​
  • The Central Powers gain an effective free hand against Bolshevik Russia come the campaign season of 1918.​
In which Germany is convinced to pay indemnities to Belgium under the guise of fostering closer economic ties (still a strategic objective for both Wilhelm II and Kühlmann), A-L is resolved by France giving colonies to Germany (which also made it easier to accept the occupation of German holdings in Africa and Asia), Austria-Hungary exits the war intact and spared from its final defeat at the Piave River (without the headache of having to figure out what to do with occupied Serbia), Bulgaria makes out like a bandit (having honestly pulled their weight and then some on the Salonika Front), and the Ottomans lose the Middle East though with an opportunity to recoup its losses by moving against Russia (something Enver Pasha might have preferred anyhow, given his OTL adventures in Bukhara). Of course, OHL is unlikely to be pleased by this measly ceasefire made by civilians and politicians, and to appease Hindenburg and Ludendorff's faction of hardcore militarists, it is very probable that Max Hoffmann's plan to institute a regime change in Russia would be greenlit in a colossal Drang nach Osten.

All this being said, what do people think about the idea of a Great War that is over by Christmas 1917? I like the Kühlmann POD because it is both rather underutilized in alternate history and neatly sidesteps many of the usual points of conflict discussed in these threads, while introducing new unresolved questions and tense uncertainties. There is likely no Brest-Litovsk, no Kiel Mutiny or German Revolution, and even the Fourteen Points are butterflied away. Germany has managed to retain at least some of its overseas colonies and is likely to gain more in Eastern Europe, French politics would be unrecognizable without Clemenceau while having to regularly negotiate with Germany over A-L, Wilson never gets to play the saviour of Europe but nor does he fall from such glittering heights, there is no Hundred Days Offensive to vindicate the operational and tactical triumph of the Entente, and an economic downturn might sweep across Europe with no indemnities extracted from or yielded to any nation in the war. The Spanish Flu could be butterflied away, or constrained only to America/China/Spain/etc., depending on where you think the pandemic originated from. Most importantly, millions of lives would be saved by the bloodshed being brought to an end one whole year earlier than IOTL.

If I appear too generous to the Central Powers in my thoughts, I probably overestimated the impact of the aforementioned military and political developments in October and November 1917 on any discussions for peace. I welcome any feedback and constructive criticism others have to offer! Since Belgium plays such a central role in this entire scenario, I would appreciate sources on what Albert himself thought of the possibility of a separate peace with Germany. Likewise, this concept is very Western Europe-centric, and how Italy and the Ottomans, two of the largest "losers" ITTL, would take Kühlmann's peace is something I am quite unsure about. What the Balkans and Eastern Europe will look like either on the map or in terms of domestic politics are also largely reliant on my spitballing. Would the US even go along with such a peace after having gone to the trouble of declaring war, or would most Americans be happy that they do not have to fight in the trenches? How about Lenin and Trotsky in Russia trying to convince their fellow Soviets that a humiliating surrender to the Kaiser would be infinitely better than to see the Revolution smothered by German stormtroopers? I look forward to hearing your thoughts, hopefully I have provided enough context and information to start an interesting conversation. :)

Some of the references I consulted while making this post were:​
  1. Fest, W. B. “British War Aims and German Peace Feelers during the First World War (December 1916-November 1918).” The Historical Journal 15, no. 2 (1972): 285–308. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2638122.​
  2. Stevenson, David. “The Failure of Peace by Negotiation in 1917.” The Historical Journal 34, no. 1 (1991): 65–86. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2639708.​
  3. Soutou, Georges-Henri. “War Aims and War Aims Discussions.” 1914-1918-online. International Encyclopedia of the First World War, ed. by Ute Daniel, Peter Gatrell, Oliver Janz, Heather Jones, Jennifer Keene, Alan Kramer, and Bill Nasson, issued by Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin 2017-04-06. DOI: 10.15463/ie1418.10240/1.1.​
  4. Woodward, David R. “David Lloyd George. A Negotiated Peace with Germany, and the Kuhlmann Peace Kite of September, 1917.” Canadian Journal of History 6, no. 1 (1971): 75-94. https://doi.org/10.3138/cjh.6.1.75.​
  5. Woodward, David R. “Britain's "Brass-Hats" and the Question of a Compromise Peace, 1916-1918.” Military Affairs 35, no. 2 (1971):63-68. https://www.jstor.org/stable/1985047.​
Did you read the Zelikow book on this overall topic, by any chance?

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Did that was a real idea of just rhodes fantasies?
By the time the British had gained control of contiguous territories which could make Rhodes's dream a reality, the financial state of the British economy made it pretty much impossible to complete linking up the bits that did exist. And, to be honest, would it have made much difference. If we are talking multiple tracks allowing freight from Cape to Cairo then there might be a case, but it was only ever seen as a "glory project" rather than improving the Empire in any material way.

By the time the British had gained control of contiguous territories which could make Rhodes's dream a reality, the financial state of the British economy made it pretty much impossible to complete linking up the bits that did exist. And, to be honest, would it have made much difference. If we are talking multiple tracks allowing freight from Cape to Cairo then there might be a case, but it was only ever seen as a "glory project" rather than improving the Empire in any material way.
We may never know, everyone always mention that idea yet no one back it up was real or just Rhodes fantasy,at least the telegraph cable did make sense

The Entente won't allow Germany to gain colonies, Indochina would give too much power projection to Germany in that area and France wouldn't be keen on allowing the Germans to take its colony (esp. while Britain doesn't lose anything) and Germany having the Belgian Congo breaks the point of restoring Belgium's territorial integrity and would be too big of a concessions.
German East Africa is also unlikely to remain, Britain wants to have Cape-Cairo and the Germans want to have a friendly Britain after the war and they could use it to get concessions elsewhere.
While Austria may be desperate for peace it cannot retreat from Serbia and Montenegro entirely, it would be a humiliation while I don't see why they would give up on Galicia if they are winning on the Easter Front. However I do think that they will be forced to give back all occupied territories to Italy and Romania (apart from small border changes with Bulgaria to get pre-Second Balkan War borders).
Allowing for Germany and Austria to have all of European Russia is not an option for the Entente and the population is growing tired of the war, one way or the other Russia is also going to sign a peace deal with the CP and it will likely give only Lithuania and Poland to the CP.

Luxembourg is probably annexed by Germany.

the greatest obstacle to peace would be Italy's intransigence over its Treaty of London claims on Habsburg lands, which might mean that OHL provides more units for the Caporetto offensive that sees the Italian lines collapse harder still, perhaps to the extent originally anticipated by the Italian government and high command themselves).
Would handing over Albania as an integrated part instead of a protectorate work to soften Italian resistance?