WI: Michael Jordan, Basketball's Pete Rose

When Michael Jordan retired for the first time in 1993, it stunned the basketball world, with Jordan retiring after winning three championships to go play baseball.

Of course, years later, there is talk that it may have been a secret suspension from the league resulting from Jordan's gambling habits.

Let's say it's not so secret. Instead, there is a major scandal revolving around one of Jordan's various gambling stories, it makes nationwide headlines, and what ITTL was a slap on the wrist and a brief exile, instead becomes the NBA's answer to Pete Ross, with Jordan banned from the courts for life.

First, how does this impact the NBA? Without the Bulls able to have another 3-peat who wins in 96, 97 and 98? Do the Sonics win in 96, or the Jazz in 97 or 98? Do Shaq and Penny's Magic win a ring without the Bulls to keep them out of the Finals, to say nothing of the Pacers or Knicks?

With MJ banned from basketball, does his baseball career take a more serious turn? There was talk, before he returned to basketball, that he might play for the Philadelphia Phillies. Jordan was no great baseball talent, but might his name attract some talent to Philly?

Lastly, how does this impact Jordan's legacy, or the sport of baskerball? To say the least, probably a lot fewer folks wearing number 23, and fewer folks calling Jordan the GOAT.

Because of the caaution baseball has with gambling (Denny McLain was suspended half a season for gambling problems in 1970even though he didn't bet on baseball) there would have to be a long look into whether MJ ever bet on baseball.

Let's say he didn't. He's not allowed in the minors for a couple months but plays with an independent league team, then he comes to sign witha team besides the white Sox (who by this time are in the thick of a pennant race). The PHillies, who won the pennant in '93 but might sign him for the minors insummer of '94 with the team sinking badly, are a thought, but I can also imagine him going to a team that needed fans, like San Diego (Seriously, the team had traded away all their good players and if they'd also traded Gwynn I think fans might have revolted en masse.)

Jordan's probably going to stay in the minors except for a few cups of coffee - unless a club si *really* desperate to draw fans. Still, he had potential and I suppose if he focuses totally on it might make the bigs enough to hit around .200 and be a good defensive player in the majors just like another basketball star did for Toronto. (Danny Ainge)

The NBA struggled a lot when Jordan retired in '99, so it'll be interesting to see how its popularity is with Jordan leaving early. Pippen's still a star and I suppose it's possible the Bulls could trade for someone to try and win without Jordan; whether they would make it is another question. Patrick Ewing and the Knicks are definitely a good choice to win at least one NBA title; they played Houston in a great 7-game series as it was.

The lucky thing for the NBA is that there was a LOT of up-and-coming star power that, with Jordan out of the way, may have time to shine. Grant Hill, Shaq and Penny, Jason Kidd, Mitch Richmond, to say nothing of upcoming talent like Kobe, Tim Duncan and the like.

With His Royal Airness out of the way, there will be MANY pretenders to the throne.

Oh, one major loss: there will be no Space Jam.

SsgtC

Banned
I'm gonna be a contrarine here. I don't think Jordan gets a lifetime ban unless the he drags the NBA through the mud like Rose did with baseball by getting the courts involved. Jordan's gambling was apparently fairly well known within the league, unlike Rose's who was much more closeted with it. I think the league and Jordan would probably come to some sort of agreement where Jordan gets suspended for half a season or one year while giving a tearful apology to the Bulls, the NBA, his fans and his family.

I'm gonna be a contrarine here. I don't think Jordan gets a lifetime ban unless the he drags the NBA through the mud like Rose did with baseball by getting the courts involved. Jordan's gambling was apparently fairly well known within the league, unlike Rose's who was much more closeted with it. I think the league and Jordan would probably come to some sort of agreement where Jordan gets suspended for half a season or one year while giving a tearful apology to the Bulls, the NBA, his fans and his family.

Agree with all of this. The NBA isn't dumb - a lifetime suspension of an in-his-prime cash-cow Jordan just isn't gonna happen unless he goes full-blown scorched earth like Rose did with MLB.

nbcman

Donor
One thing would be butterflied: Jordan wouldn't be able to or be allowed to buy a stake in the Bobcats (now Hornets).

Assuming that the NBA decides Jordan and the money he brings isn't worth it - or that the money to be made from the new gen of all stars is a better bet - what impact does that have on the game?

SsgtC

Banned
Assuming that the NBA decides Jordan and the money he brings isn't worth it - or that the money to be made from the new gen of all stars is a better bet - what impact does that have on the game?
IF the NBA made such a stupid move? They'd kill the sport's popularity for years. All that money they thought they were going to make? Yeah, it's going to MLB and the NFL. A lot of kids that were dreaming about growing up and becoming Jordan, they're not doing that anymore. Odds are, they turn their attention to football and baseball. Plus, a lot of the players in the league are gonna start being really distrustful of the league, meaning less players willing to be "the face of the league."

IF the NBA made such a stupid move? They'd kill the sport's popularity for years. All that money they thought they were going to make? Yeah, it's going to MLB and the NFL. A lot of kids that were dreaming about growing up and becoming Jordan, they're not doing that anymore. Odds are, they turn their attention to football and baseball. Plus, a lot of the players in the league are gonna start being really distrustful of the league, meaning less players willing to be "the face of the league."
And nothing of value is lost.

See, I don't see that, especially when we were a few years away from Shaq and Kobe replacing MJ as the leagues face in OTL.

SsgtC

Banned
See, I don't see that, especially when we were a few years away from Shaq and Kobe replacing MJ as the leagues face in OTL.
What you're overlooking though, is the optics of a major sports league giving a lifetime ban to the most popular and best player in the league at the height of his popularity and prowess on the court. And for doing something that literally the entire league knew he had been doing for years.

Pete Rose is actually a really bad comparison here. When he was banned from Major League Baseball, he had already retired from playing. And it was clear at the end of his career that he was only hanging on to become baseball's all time hits leader. He wasn't at the top of his game the way Jordan still was. Nobody outside of Cincinnati cared about Rose. At least not in the way that people cared about Jordan.

Finally, until this point in time, Jordan had been a model player for the NBA. Handing out a lifetime ban for a first offense would be blasted as excessive. To get the NBA to ban Jordan for life, he would have to go Nuclear on the league, refuse all cooperation, and go to the courts. His OTL actions showed he wasn't going to do that. At most, he gets a six month to a year suspension. The NBA is not going to ban their biggest star. Especially when the NBA was far behind Major League Baseball and the National Football League in popularity. Banning Jordan for life drops them behind the NHL and the PGA Tour in the popularity contest.

Edit: And popularity equals butts in the seats at games and ratings on TV. Both of which equal money. Lots of it.