Yiddish Policeman's Union wins Hugo Award

http://www.thehugoawards.org/

I'm shocked and appalled that no one has mentioned the fact that Chabon's Yiddish Policeman's Union has won this year's Hugo for best novel. If that isn't a sign that alternate history has gone mainstream -- at least in the science fiction world, I don't know what is.

Incidentally, I couldn't think of a more worthy book. It's easily the best alternate history novel in terms of quality that I've ever read -- not quite as "fun" as Guns of the South, but definitely head and shoulders above that other book in terms of the prose. At first, I was taken aback that YPU would even be considered, but upon reflection, I couldn't come up with anything else as good.

I'd strongly encourage you to read this book if you haven't already. It's definitely worth the ride, not only in terms of a creative POD, but also in terms of the prose, description, and characterization. I'll post a more detailed review when I get home from work.

I wonder if there are any sci-fi die-hards (either Asimov/Bester/Clarke/Heinlein old-schoolers, or cutting-edge Banks/Doctorow Singularitarians) who are decrying this as the death of "science" fiction.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union
Six stars out of five
Pros: The most awesome prose and writing you're ever going to find in an alternate history novel, a unique POD developed extremely well
Cons: Disappointing "conspiracy" reveal in conclusion

If you look on the back of most books written by Harry Turtledove, there's usually a quote referring to him as a "master storyteller." Even after a series of disappointing works, I'd still agree with that quote. But what Turtledove lacks is just that extra bit of writing talent to tell we, the readers, the magnificent story that lies in his mind.

In The Yiddish Policemen's Union, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon brings the full weight of his authorial talent to bear on an idea as enormously entertaining and fascinating as anything Turtledove has come up with to date.

The plot is a simple one: A detective uncovers a murder and works to solve it despite discouragement from higher authorities and the threat of a giant conspiracy hanging over him. It's a plot that's been hashed out thousands of times since detective fiction first became popular. But Chabon places the story in an alternate history and uses brilliant characterization and atmosphere to create a noir detective novel as brilliant for its allohistorical aspects as its mystery underpinnings.

The POD is a truly unique one, and although I will reveal it here, to do so will slightly ruin your potential appreciation of the book, for it and its effects are revealed gradually and in a fashion that doesn't disappoint. In 1940, American legislators debate establishing a temporary sanctuary for European Jews fleeing the war in Europe. The area around Sitka, in the territory of Alaska, is chosen for this refuge. In OTL, Alaska Territorial Representantive Anthony Dimond strongly protested and the legislation establishing the area died in committee. In TTL, Diamond is struck and killed by a car, and the "homeland" is established.

Naturally, all sorts of butterflies result, but I'll leave you to discover them when you read the book. And you will, because it's easily the best alternate history novel I've ever read. I won't say it's the best alternate history story I've ever read -- that honor goes to Guns of the South, still -- but YPU is the most complete alternate history book I've ever come across.

From beginning to end, we're given fully-developed, rounded characters with flaws, emotions, inner workings, and they interact with their environment in a way that really is wonderful. The atmosphere of the region is impeccably drawn, with so much atmosphere that even someone without imagination should have no trouble imagining the situations and circumstances involved. There's a beautiful air of mystery throughout the book, and you're never quite certain in some places where the reality of the book and the thoughts and opinions of the characters diverge.

When I look at the forums here, I see that at least 80% of the TLs and discussions are about war-related topics. That's all fine and dandy, but YPU should be commended for not taking that approach -- this is an alternate history about people and their circumstances, not the great events on which worlds turn. All too often, it seems as if alternate history authors take the infodump approach -- spending so much effort and prose building a world and showing it off that there's no room left for characterization.

Chabon builds his characters and setting first, and fills in the gaps with allohistorical information, dropping it in abruptly, almost casually, and you have to be quick not to let it pass over you when you read. I know that I'm looking forward to buying the book so I can uncover more of the little droplets and allusions that I missed while reading the library's copy.

And yes, I would recommend buying this. I'd be willing to pay full price, even. It's simply that good, and nobody who says they love alternate history should avoid missing this. Even if you don't like the POD, or fear that a story lacking war might not be to your liking, there's enough action to satisfy a fairly bloodthirsty palate and hopefully give you more of the healthful prose and atmosphere that you -- and I -- should be consuming.

Amerigo-I mentioned this on a post about the Hugo Award .Glad to see it won.BTW I understand it won a Sidewise in Time Award at the Convention for best AH novel (long form).Hmm?I am going to grab this book up.Library does not consider it SF.

Amerigo-I mentioned this on a post about the Hugo Award .Glad to see it won.BTW I understand it won a Sidewise in Time Award at the Convention for best AH novel (long form).Hmm?I am going to grab this book up.Library does not consider it SF.

Rather strange that they don't, especially since the author does.

Words can't really express how superb this book is. Like all the best AH, the emphasis is on characters, not just what a neat setting the author came up with.

Words can't really express how superb this book is. Like all the best AH, the emphasis is on characters, not just what a neat setting the author came up with.

Summed up perfectly. That's part of the reason I liked Guns of the South so much -- you've got three rounded characters who grow and develop throughout the story and who aren't stereotypes: Robert E. Lee, Nathan Beford Forrest, and the South African computer technician (whose name escapes me at the moment).