Personaly I would say that the Netherlands is already close to being overstretched with western Australia and sort of South Africa and that New Zealand is a bit out of the way for small time colonisers like Sweden, Denmark or Prussia. Perhaps even for Spain and Portugal. I believe that only Britain and France are likely candidates to colonise New Zealand.
Well, New Zealand is a literal Antipode for Spain and Portugal (Christchurch and A Coruña are exact Antipodes, although due to geography it would be further for France, Britain, The Netherlands, Prussia or Scandinavia to colonize it), and Spain already has colonies stretching from California to Chile. On another note, while I agree that a Scandinavian colony in New Zealand is unrealistic, they are leading in the poll thus far, albeit not with a majority.

Part 35: North America 1825-1850
Part 35: North America 1825-1850

The history of North America between 1825 and 1850 was one of expansion across the vast interior of the continent from the European strongholds on the coasts. The American Commonwealth rapidly expanded across the Western Territory, as settlers both from out east and from Europe poured into the fertile farmlands of the region that would go on to be named Centralia. Meanwhile, explorers (many employed by the Hudson’s Bay Company) charted routes out west, making it all the way to the Pacific Coast, with the first British settlers soon to follow. By 1850, pretty much all of the Commonwealth east of the Mississippi was settled, as well as most of French Floride east of the River (much of it set aside for the local tribes, including the southern third of the Tegueste Peninsula).

During the quarter century between 1825 and 1850, the Commonwealth of America chartered the provinces of Illinia (Illinois), Mescusing (Wisconsin), Gitchigami (Northern Ontario), Misabia (Northern Minnesota and Northwestern Wisconsin), Minnesota (Most of OTL Minnesota + Northern Iowa), Keyoshaqua (Iowa and Northern Missouri) and Winnipeg (Manitoba and the Red River Valley), as well as the first Anglo-American settlers making their way to the Pacific, the town of Fort Vancouver being the largest Anglo-American settlement west of the Rockies.

From 1820 to 1850, the population of the Commonwealth of America grew from 10,070,000 (larger than that of Britain itself) to 24,440,000. New York City’s population had surged from 175,000 in 1825 to 690,000 in 1850. Laurentia’s population grew from 1,825,000 in 1825 (complete coincidence) to 3,425,000 in 1850, while Nova Scotia grew to 2,465,000. The population of Kirkeston grew from 79,000 in 1825 to 270,000 in 1850, while Mount Royal experienced explosive growth from 65,000 in 1825 to 330,000 in 1850, annual growth of 6.75%. The population of the new western provinces ballooned during the second quarter of the 19th Century, Niagara for example grew from 540,000 in 1825 to 1,620,000 in 1850.

It wasn’t just the Commonwealth of America that was experiencing rapid population growth, as the neighboring French colony of La Floride was also growing at a precipitous clip. From 1820 to 1850, the White Population of La Floride grew from 1,040,000 to - in 1850. The high natural growth rate was compounded by the increasing amount of migration from the old world, as sailing technology was getting significantly better during the Early-Mid 19th Century. With the French population growing from 30 Million in 1800 to 40.5 Million in 1850 and the liberalization of laws towards groups like the Cagots (who I’ve mentioned before in this series, they were basically the untouchables of Southwestern France and Northern Spain), thus enabling easier emigration, immigration increased from 1,500/year in the first half of the 1820s to 5,500/year in the first half of the 1840s. However, the biggest surges in immigration were to occur during the second half of the 1840s and first half of the 1850s, as a potato blight swept across Europe, hitting a certain Emerald Isle particularly hard.

From the Late 1840s to the Mid 1850, 800,000 Irishmen emigrated (not counting the many who died on the voyage or soon after arrival), with 500,000 going to the Commonwealth of America and 75,000 going to La Floride, the largest single migration wave in the colony’s history, along with 50,000 non-Irish (mainly French) immigrants to La Floride and hundreds of thousands of non-Irish (mainly British and German) immigrants to the Commonwealth. The wave of immigration to North America would not slow down much during the remainder of the 1850s and into the 1860s, as Europe would be swept by revolts and civil unrest.

By 1850, the White Population of La Floride had grown to 2,586,000, while the Black population stood at 1,260,000 and the Creole population was 212,000. The entire coastline of the country was pretty much colonized, with much of the interior also settled, with only the Great Plains remaining unsettled by either Frenchmen in the south or Englishmen in the north. However, both the French and English had forts on the Great Plains, such as Fort Quincy for the British and Fort Quivira for the French.

North America in 1850 was a changing place, with the British presence stretching from sea to shining sea and the French as far as the slopes of the Rocky Mountains. I’m sorry that this update was out so late, I’ll get my next update in ASAP.

Last edited:
During the quarter century between 1825 and 1850, the Commonwealth of America chartered the provinces of Illinia (Illinois), Mescusing (Wisconsin), Misabia (Northern Minnesota and Northwestern Wisconsin), Minnesota (Most of OTL Minnesota + Northern Iowa), Keyoshaqua (Iowa and Northern Missouri) and Winnipeg (Manitoba and the Red River Valley), as well as the first Anglo-American settlers making their way to the Pacific, the town of Fort Vancouver being the largest Anglo-American settlement west of the Rockies.
Could we get a map of this please? :)

I held a poll on which European country was most likely to experience a successful Republican revolution.
Where is a successful Republican Revolution most likely to occur?
Habsburg Realm 3
Portugal 3
German States 2
Italian States 2
Ottoman-controlled Balkans 2
Spanish America 1
Ireland 0
Brazil 0
Other (please specify in comments) 0

ECFC North America Provinces 1850.png

Provinces of the Commonwealth of America in 1850

Now, any suggestions or ideas for the European Revolutions? I'd read that Hungary had a rebellion in OTL's Revolutions of 1848 that almost succeeded, so a Hungarian Revolution (either solo or in a series of revolts across the Habsburg domain) seems quite plausible.

I'm truly stuck with the Revolutions update. I don't know how to cover it, there are too many butterflies to take into account, Europe ITTL's Mid 19th Century is already a very different place from Europe IOTL's Mid 19th Century.
OTL's Revolutions of 1848 were kicked off by the French Revolution of 1848, which ended the July Monarchy and established the Second French Republic. However, France ITTL is a relatively stable Constitutional Monarchy, so a Republican Revolution in the Habsburg Realm (which was the place I had picked to have a successful revolution ITTL) would have to find some other inspiration. In addition, no American or French Revolutions in the Late 18th Century won't bring Republicanism to the forefront of European geopolitics ITTL. Europe changed a lot due to the Napoleonic Wars, which never occur ITTL, adding another set of butterflies to the TL. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, the revolutions were an effect of the enlightenment, correct? Perhaps, after centuries of oppression, Ireland just says "f^%$ it" and revolts against the crown. But they declare themselves a republic and take some inspiration from Athens or Rome. France, looking for an excuse to spit in albion's eye, recognises them?

Edit: Wait, nevermind, you said hapsburg realm.

Well, the revolutions were an effect of the enlightenment, correct? Perhaps, after centuries of oppression, Ireland just says "f^%$ it" and revolts against the crown. But they declare themselves a republic and take some inspiration from Athens or Rome. France, looking for an excuse to spit in albion's eye, recognises them?

Edit: Wait, nevermind, you said hapsburg realm.
Well, that's what won in the vote (although it didn't get a majority). Unless I were to hold another one, that's what I gotta do for this TL.