Gosh, I just can't work out this Habsburg thing, can I?
I've billed the intra-Habsburg conflict as a "civil war", but I'm now questioning if it could even get to the point where I could call it a civil war. Is there any example of someone trying to overthrow a reigning monarch of the same dynasty (not including The Lion King)? I don't see how Francis of Modena could get to the point where he'd consider overthrowing a relative simply over policy differences.
There's the Ptolemy dynasty of ancient Egypt.

I've billed the intra-Habsburg conflict as a "civil war", but I'm now questioning if it could even get to the point where I could call it a civil war. Is there any example of someone trying to overthrow a reigning monarch of the same dynasty (not including The Lion King)? I don't see how Francis of Modena could get to the point where he'd consider overthrowing a relative simply over policy differences.
Monarchy of July in France: Louis Philippe accepted the Crown as King of the French instead of ruling as regent for Henry V (aka the Duke of Bordeaux/Chambord)... the Orleans were a junior branch of the Bourbons

England: the Glorious revolution is the most classical example and while William III was an Orange, he was also both nephew and son-in-law of James II.
Still in England Richard III taking the throne from his underage nephew Edward V
England again as all the claimants involved in the war of the Roses (starting from Richard II and Henry IV, continuing with Henry VI, Richard, Duke of York, Edward IV, Edward of Westminster, George of Clarence, Edward V and Richard III) were all members of the Plantagenet dynasty

I don't see a Hapsburg Civil War as a runner to be honest. Mid C19th Austria isn't as divided as society as Mexico and there are more moderate Conservatives and conservative Liberals about -Maximilian will have more of a support base in the centre plus Austria will have had reforming Kaisers before like Joseph. Not everyone will like what Kaiser Max is doing but he isn't a wild radical or viciously anti-clerical and he is the rightful heir of the dynasty that has ruled them for over 400 years, they would be a lot more likely to suck it up than the Mexicans were.

I don't see a Hapsburg Civil War as a runner to be honest. Mid C19th Austria isn't as divided as society as Mexico and there are more moderate Conservatives and conservative Liberals about -Maximilian will have more of a support base in the centre plus Austria will have had reforming Kaisers before like Joseph. Not everyone will like what Kaiser Max is doing but he isn't a wild radical or viciously anti-clerical and he is the rightful heir of the dynasty that has ruled them for over 400 years, they would be a lot more likely to suck it up than the Mexicans were.
I'll probably scrap the whole Austrian assassination and civil war idea and just do an update on Asia.

Derp... I forgot to talk about this when I did the Dutch Civil War.
Would The Netherlands have lost any colonies in the East Indies during the Dutch Civil War. Now, I don't see them losing Java, they'd hold on to that with everything they had, but somewhere like Sumatra, Borneo, Sulawesi or the Moluccas would be up for grabs. Is it possible that the British (most likely), Spanish, Portuguese or French nab a few colonies while the Dutch are distracted with more pressing matters back home?

Part 36: The Far East
Part 36: The Far East

East Asia had long been a place of interest to the Western mind. By the Mid 19th Century, it had been 700 years since Marco Polo’s ventures through China, and the west was once again going to attempt to crack the egg that was the Far East. China and Japan had both been isolationist for the past two centuries, and with demand for Asian goods (tea, porcelain etc.), the Western imperial powers once again began to involve themselves in the East.

Now, it wasn’t like there was no Western influence in the Far East. The Philippines had been a Spanish colony for nearly three centuries by this point, and the Dutch were a major force in the Indies, but the grand prize of trade with China was still up for grabs.

We’ll get there, but to start, we’ll talk about the Land of the Rising Sun, Japan. Japan had briefly opened itself up to trade with the Portuguese and Dutch in the 17th Century, but later reversed course and closed themselves off (except for a Dutch trading post outside of Nagasaki). However, in 1853, a Royal Navy squadron led by American-born Commodore Matthew Perry sailed into Edo Harbor with guns loaded, thus ending Japan’s 200 years of isolation. Japan soon thereafter began to reform and adopt western technology and tactics, while also falling under British influence.

Anyways, back to China. China imported a load of silver from the mines of the Andes, but other than that, they weren’t really interested in any European (or colonial) goods. Meanwhile, Chinese goods were highly valued in Europe, especially Tea, so China overall had a trade surplus with the West. However, that changed with a certain drug: opium. Needless to say, this threatened China’s favorable trade conditions with the West (and created a lot of druggies), so the Chinese began to be more wary of trade with the West. Eventually, a trade conflict between the British and Chinese began, becoming known as the Opium Wars. To skim over a lot of history that is far too complicated for this ignorant white boy to cover, the British won. The Brits got the island of Hong Kong, as well as open trade and other treaty ports from the ordeal, while the Chinese got a big fat nothing.

Once again, I know next to nothing about this, most of this came from Crash Course World History, so thanks to John Green for most of this update.

Last edited:
Nice update, dude.
I wonder, how much influence does Britain have over Japan? Will parts be directly incorporated into the British Empire?

Also, do you make your own maps?

The next update will be on something a bit easier: Australia. However, I do have one thing to sort out first.
The leading nation in the poll I held on Australian colonization a while back was Portugal. After all, the Portuguese colony of East Timor is less than 600km from Australia. However, there is one major issue, that being that the Portuguese Empire was in a state of decline by the 19th Century. Portugal was no longer a global superpower like it had been centuries prior, but was now just a minor European nation, with it's colonial empire being a mere legacy. There is one counterargument, though, and that is the fact that the Netherlands, also in decline by the 19th Century (and facing a civil war ITTL) end up colonizing Western Australia ITTL. If the Dutch could colonize Western Australia, then I'm pretty sure that the Portuguese could colonize Northern Australia.

As a general rule, I will fill my African updates with as many Toto and/or Lion King references as possible and my Australian updates with as many Men At Work references as possible.

Part 37: Where Women Glow and Men Plunder
Part 37: Where Women Glow and Men Plunder

It’s been a while, but it is now time to return to the Land Down Under. By 1850, the three colonies of British Australia (the name may be different ITTL), French Terre-Bourbon and Dutch New Holland were up and running, with thousands of Men At Work in the land Where Women Glow and Men Plunder. The British Australian population in 1850 was over 430,000, New Holland’s population was 31,000 and Terre-Bourbon had a population of 22,000. Due to the half-century head start, the British Australian colony dwarfed the other two colonies, and that gap would only continue to grow...

IT’S GOLD RUSH TIME!

During the Early-Mid 1850s, massive gold discoveries were found across the region of Victoria, turning this remote colony of 70,000 into the envy of the world. Gold fever spread across the entire world, as prospectors came into the Land Down Under by the hundreds of thousands during the 1850s. The port town of Melbourne grew massively over the course of the 1850s, from 25,000 in 1850 to 125,000 in 1855. The goldfield towns of Bendigo and Ballarat went from nonexistent to thriving within just a few short years.

This was also the first time in the history of the Australian Colony that many of the migrants came from outside of the British Isles, including thousands of migrants from China. Needless to say, the welcome for the Chinese on the goldfields was not the warmest, as anti-Chinese ethnic violence was common, and many returned to China after the gold dried up. A significant amount of migrants came from Continental Europe, as well as the French and Dutch colonies in Terra Australis, with a colonial official in Terre-Bourbon remarking that all of the young men of Tadagne had disappeared to the goldfields. After the young men returned from Victoria, many had the idea to search for gold in their own colony, and although there was less success in Terre-Bourbon and New Holland, some gold was still found.

Gold was also found in the colony of New South Wales, leading to smaller but still impressive gold rushes, and the British also expanded up the East Coast as far as the settlement of Brisbane. The Northern coasts of Terra Australis, however, remained uninhabited. Who will colonize Northern Terra Australis? We’ll just have to wait and see…

The Victorian Gold Rush of the 1850s had a profound impact on the British Colony of Australia. No longer just an outpost, Australia was now turning into a full-fledged nation, with major cities and a growing national identity. Greetings from the Land Down Under, Where Women Glow and Men Chunder, can’t you hear (X2) the thunder? You better run, you better take cover...

My next update is gonna be on British Patagonia. I know that there was a Welsh colony in Patagonia IOTL, so I'm assuming that there will be a significant degree of Welsh settlement ITTL as well. One idea I have is that, after the eruption of the Askja Volcano in Iceland in 1875, whoever is in charge of the Patagonian colony recruits Icelandic settlers to the southern part of Patagonia, which has a very similar climate to Iceland. Of course, you're gonna get your English, Scottish and Irish settlers as well, but overall, Patagonia is gonna be very sparsely populated, just as it is IOTL. My guess is a few hundred thousand by 1900, and a few million by the present (population density similar to Wyoming or Montana).