Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

Oh sure but I imagine the Yamato will end up absorbing them similarly to how the Han do in China.
Besides the precedent of letting many of the Taiwanese/Iriebashi aborigine polities and tribes largely self-administrate (for some good decades already by this point) — even considering the gradual erosion of such an arrangement in favour of more standard constableships within a province/daimyo domain — Japan now does have a concept of non-Yamato-descended ethnic groups living within its realms.

That said, we still don't know how exactly they will be absorbed into a Shinto-Buddhist cultural continuum, or whether it will happen at all. It is also much more sure to happen to some degree with Iriebashi; I'm much less sure whether the same will happen with the Ainu considering that both sides ever bothered to do so IOTL, at least until Meiji Japan started knocking in.

Now — speaking of provinces — has the Imperial Court ever formally inaugurated a province for Iriebashi island? It did for Luzon, though I never remember the same being done with Iriebashi despite Oda and Shimazu settlement.

Last edited:
Yeah that makes sense, it's just that I could see someone acting for the emperor just wipe out the rest of the Ainu on Hokkaido or somesuch.

Tbf defo waiting for the chapter about the navigation of the Chishima islands.
I didn’t delve into it but I mentioned back in Chapter 52. I might elaborate in a future chapter.
By this point - and owing to their role in the war in Luzon* - the Ainu would already have developed passable government, military, and diplomatic relations at this point, enough to assert themselves as a distinct realm from Yamato-Japan.

*It's not just being recognised by Azuchi; they would likewise have imported technical know-how and military tactics from that war, which they surely would have brought back to Hokkaido.

Now, all these beg the question: what has been of the Ainu by now?
Many Ainu villages and tribes are vassals/tributaries of the Kakizaki clan and others further away are more developed than OTL due to trade relations but definitely not in parity with the Japanese.
Sadly for the Ainu I do doubt their long term survival as independent. They'd likely be subjugated similarly to the Taiwan Austronesians.
The Austronesians haven’t fully been subjugated in the same way many Filipinos have been in Luson but rather are closer to tributaries and vassal entities. Also you still have the Kingdom of Tatuturo.
Besides the precedent of letting many of the Taiwanese/Iriebashi aborigine polities and tribes largely self-administrate (for some good decades already by this point) — even considering the gradual erosion of such an arrangement in favour of more standard constableships within a province/daimyo domain — Japan now does have a concept of non-Yamato-descended ethnic groups living within its realms.

That said, we still don't know how exactly they will be absorbed into a Shinto-Buddhist cultural continuum, or whether it will happen at all. It is much nore sure to happen at some degrees with Iriebashi; I'm much less sure whether the same will happen with the Ainu considering that both sides never bothered to do so IOTL, at least until Meiji Japan started knocking in.

Now — speaking of provinces — has the Imperial Court ever formally inaugurated a province for Iriebashi island? It did for Luzon, though I never remember the same being did with Iriebashi in spite of Oda and Shimazu settlement.
Yes, the north is Bireizen and the south is Bireigo. Check out Chapter 52.

Many Ainu villages and tribes are vassals/tributaries of the Kakizaki clan and others further away are more developed than OTL due to trade relations but definitely not in parity with the Japanese.
It does seem that the Ainus of Hokkaido will be integrated into the political structure of the Kakizaki domain rather than developing their own.
The Austronesians haven’t fully been subjugated in the same way many Filipinos have been in Luson but rather are closer to tributaries and vassal entities. Also you still have the Kingdom of Tatuturo.
Yes, the north is Bireizen and the south is Bireigo. Check out Chapter 52.
On the other hand, Iriebashi develops into something positively akin to the Holy Roman Empire.

Will a map of Iriebashi help so much though?

The nigirizushi only appeared in the 1820's, so it's only all too likely for the province to be stuck with the rice-pickled narezushi, especially if not much of an urban culture developed there.
I think we'll defo get some sort of sashimi in don form tho.

It does seem that the Ainus of Hokkaido will be integrated into the political structure of the Kakizaki domain rather than developing their own.

On the other hand, Iriebashi develops into something positively akin to the Holy Roman Empire.

Will a map of Iriebashi help so much though?
Iriebashi is just the main port city on Bireitou. In terms of Bireitou, it’s a little more complicated version of the feudal system in the main islands. It has different tiers of vassals and tributaries based on ethnic origin but is also more centralized.

When I can, I’ll work on a map.

Iriebashi is just the main port city on Bireitou. In terms of Bireitou, it’s a little more complicated version of the feudal system in the main islands. It has different tiers of vassals and tributaries based on ethnic origin but is also more centralized.
Don't you think that this is also worth an update of its own? It already has been some decades since the colonisers have aped the conquistador strategies for their want of mangoes. And —

As for the Kingdom of Tatuturo: weren't they comparable to a small daimyo domain in terms of size, if not power? I doubt that they'll appreciate being unilaterally dictated upon, especially on the issue of being bisected by a provincial boundary

I didn’t delve into it but I mentioned back in Chapter 52. I might elaborate in a future chapter.
Tbf it's one of those regions I could see be surprisingly important to the Japanese economy ittl due to the fur trade compared to otl.

Sea otter, sable and beaver pelts would fetch a good price, and it'd be good for the north to be able to produce economic output beyond agriculture and the production of items.

Don't you think that this is also worth an update of its own? It already has been some decades since the colonisers have aped the conquistador strategies for their want of mangoes. And —

As for the Kingdom of Tatuturo: weren't they comparable to a small daimyo domain in terms of size, if not power? I doubt that they'll appreciate being unilaterally dictated upon, especially on the issue of being bisected by a provincial boundary
It will come. I mean Bireitou was covered to an extent in Chapter 52. There's gonna be a lot of updates after the Furuwatari War is wrapped up.

Anyways, revisiting my speculations on Southeast Asian kigo —

It should centre on the following:
  • Water, Rain, and the Habagat Wind
  • Winter Amihan Winds (cool weather; vastly milder compared even to Kagoshima's Decembers)
  • Winter Amihan Storms
  • Spring Easterly Winds (hot weather)
Why the winds though? Aside from the mercantile concerns of Azuchi merchants obligating them to be all too awfully aware of it, there's also the matter of the province's climate and precipitation in play.

Philippine_climate_map.png

Anyways, revisiting my speculations on Southeast Asian kigo —

It should centre on the following:
  • Water, Rain, and the Habagat Wind
  • Winter Amihan Winds (cool weather; vastly milder compared even to Kagoshima's Decembers)
  • Winter Amihan Storms
  • Spring Easterly Winds (hot weather)
Why the winds though? Aside from the mercantile concerns of Azuchi merchants obligating them to be all too awfully aware of it, there's also the matter of the province's climate and precipitation in play.

Philippine_climate_map.png
I'll take a look at possible kigo names.

Chapter 62: Furuwatari War Part VI - Showdown in Musashi

Chapter 62: Furuwatari War Part VI - Showdown in Musashi

The Azuchi victory at the Battle of Tamamura in May 1638 theoretically opened the floodgates of Musashi Province, with well over 80,000 men under the command of the daijo-daijin stationed on the northern side of the Kozuke-Musashi province. However, more men meant more provisions, more preparations, and more time needed, and for the moment it was logistically impossible for Nobutomo to immediately ride the momentum of their victory. Knowing this, he sent a messenger to mobilize a third army to be led by Ukita Nobuie to have more men ready against Ujinobu. The following month, Nobutomo was finally able to move troops into Musashi province and would target Hachigata and Oshi Castles (鉢形城, 忍城) in northern Musashi. Meanwhile, Hojo Ujinobu had retreated to Kawagoe Castle (川越城) where he began to levy fresh men and recover from his army’s losses. The Azuchi armies’ advance into northern Musashi, however, didn’t give him enough time for Ujinobu to accomplish this in time. Instead, he led a division of 20,000 northwards while Ujitoshi stayed behind in Kawagoe with the rest of the army. Ujinobu’s hope was to launch a surprise attack with the aid of a castle’s garrison upon one of the besieging armies once they became extensively enmeshed in their siege. The Hojo lord would choose to attack the besiegers at Oshi Castle, as its garrison was smaller compared to Hachigata Castle’s. Narita Fusanaga (成田房長) served as the castle’s lord, directly commanding a garrison of nearly 4,000 men. The combined Hojo forces of 24,000 faced the Oda numbering 35,000, led directly by Nobutomo himself. The other 35,000 were at Hachigata Castle and led by Miyoshi Yasutaka. When the Hojo army arrived nearby, they launched a surprise assault upon the besiegers but were unable to break through Nobutomo’s sturdy defenses. Ujinobu set up camp nearby and over the next week engaged with the Oda in a series of smaller skirmishes. Meanwhile, as a way to simultaneously take the castle and block further Hojo attacks, Nobutomo devised a plan to flood the surroundings of the castle through dikes and seasonal rains [1]. This was implemented despite Ujinobu’s men continuously disrupting the construction process through back-to-back raids and regular armed assaults upon his camp. Despite difficulties, with the strength of his army and 5,000 reinforcements from Kozuke province, construction was completed and by early July torrential rains had successfully flooded the castle. Ujinobu was forced to withdraw his army from the area after Nobutomo’s successful strategy made continuous harassment of the Oda more difficult and news of Hachigata Castle’s fall came to be known, with Miyoshi Yasutaka now free to help repel the Hojo completely.​

YOzyrqTEnztv809EteQzQ4mjRdxl8jqLtRKRr-iejBHX03pbg7a7uUAIxNBtuRSMoHDj6HbVuFwuol1TYtz_5oADNSrxTSuGMO084tqPdVGwCD_4G4JX83gOYGPxrYsDzMpkeGZcPs3aeNQijzxISow

Depiction of Oshi Castle submerged at the Siege of Oshi Castle in 1638​

However, his efforts had not been for naught, for he had forced the daijo daijin’s hand in entrenching himself in the siege to the point of immovability and prolonged the siege. Oshi Castle itself proved to be resilient and would not fall anytime soon despite overwhelming odds. Additionally, Ujitoshi had completed the task of mobilization, and the Hojo field army now consisted of 50,000 men just in Musashi province when combined. The timing of this could not come at a more crucial time, for Ukita Nobuie’s army of yet another 40,000 men was about to arrive from the west. Meanwhile, the situation on the other fronts was not good. The siege of Shimoda had ended in failure after the unsuccessful Hojo besiegers retreated to reinforce the Izu-Suruga province and protect Odawara Castle from a possible response to the pro-Azuchi victory in the Tokugawa civil war. This gave the Shimoda squadron of the Azuchi navy freedom to concentrate on securing the seas and it would go on to destroy the Hojo navy shortly after the end of the siege. The eastern front in Shimousa and Kazusa provinces was hardly better. Over the past few months, the pro-Azuchi daimyo of Shimotsuke province and the Satake in Hitachi province had both defeated Oda Toshiharu and Nasu Sukekage and assisted in Oda Toshinao’s defense against the Hojo from the west and Satomi-Hojo forces from the south. Although the Hojo and Satomi in the south at one point besieged Toshinao's home castle, Koga Castle (古河城), the direct intervention of Satake Yoshitaka (佐竹義隆) broke the siege. The Hojo similarly found no success invading from the west, being unable to launch major offensives with their other allies spread out and under attack by loyalist daimyo. By midsummer, the small overall gains the Hojo and their allies had made in the Kanto-Oda lands would begin to be lost as the Shimotsuke daimyo and the Satake together with Toshinao’s forces concentrated their efforts against the Hojo.

Amidst the tightening odds, Ujinobu decided on a bold course of action. In mid July, he led his army through northern Musashi towards Kozuke province and Ukita Nobuie’s army as well as the men of Takigawa Kazutoshi. Worried that the Hojo would once again cause havoc in Kozuke, Nobutomo ordered Miyoshi Yasutaka to leave Oshi Castle and lead a force of 45,000 towards Ujinobu, with 20,000 remaining to besiege Oshi Castle. Nobutomo, however, had played right into Ujinobu’s hands, for the Hojo immediately reversed course and marched straight towards this army. The Hojo lord hoped to defeat a surprised Yasutaka in a pitched battle before pouncing upon Nobutomo who would be in an inflexible, numerically disadvantaged position. A cavalry vanguard, however, alerted Yasutaka to the change in the Hojo army’s movements and prepared accordingly. The two armies would meet at Fukaya in northern Musashi province on July 25th.

Yasutaka divided his army into 5 contingents, with 4 numbering 10,000 men each manning the front and a 5th grouping of 5,000 men acting as the reserve and directly commanded by Yasutaka. The four frontal contingents were led from left to right Maeda Noriyuki, Konoe Tomoshige, Akechi Mitsutada, and Yasutaka’s brother Yasukata (三好康賢). Mirroring their formation were the Hojo, albeit with slightly greater numbers (11,000 for each frontal contingent, 6,000 in the reserves). Ujinobu oversaw the army from the back amongst the reserves while the front end of his army was commanded from left to right Hojo Ujinaga (北条氏長), Daidouji Shigehisa, Mishuku Masahide (御宿政秀), and the heir Ujitoshi. Each side had varying advantages. While the Oda army had slightly less men, it overall contained more veterans, including those who had fought in the Iberian-Japanese War, and was better versed in gunpowder-based warfare. The Hojo, by contrast, had more raw recruits but had a superior cavalry as well, the old traditions of the “Bandou musha” (坂東武者) [2] seeped into many of the proud, hereditary vassals of the Hojo with deep ties to the Kanto plain.​

VD2cl98gDhrAN6eOrUWjxrKyeyGWXYFM2XJhbOufOF_SKPr2exlzX-4bVfC4NJ97_IC39VNRdTPg-et1vEMfvtQ6q8wVkApv1oP8Sqxhy-PKgm5r7TMweEGcgSuSi1Jg17dZIBLR5wQ_7zZv_uugLWg

Battle of Fukaya, Salmon=Oda-Azuchi, Blue=Hojo​

The battle began at noon with a salvo of cannonfire on both sides, which inflicted some casualties on the frontlines. This was followed by a steady infantry charge on the Oda side. Parts of the Hojo cavalry, which were situated further in the back, galloped through the gaps to assault the flanks of the arquebusiers and yari ashigaru, but were repelled for the most part and gave way for the Hojo’s own infantry charge. Through volleys of gunfire and wielding of swords and spears, the battle continued through the afternoon with the varying advantages of each side balancing each other out. However, the rightmost Hojo contingent led by Ujitoshi eventually pushed back the far left of the Oda-Azuchi army, with the presence of the heir himself boosting Hojo morale. Maeda Noriyuki’s men began to break and lose discipline, exposing the left flank of Konoe Tomoshige’s contingent. Seeing that the Oda right was making no headways, Tomoshige decided to take bold action personally. Taking in reserves and transferring command to Ikeda Yoshinari, he led 1,000 samurai cavalry around the Oda left flank and directly confronted the Hojo right. In the most famous part of the battle, he ended up dueling Ujitoshi himself amidst the chaos. Surrounded by enemy cavalry everywhere and unhorsed at one point, he eventually took down the Hojo heir. When Tomoshige raised Ujitoshi’s head and proudly announced his feat, Hojo morale dropped and the Hojo right wing began to fall apart. Seeing this, Yasutaka ordered a barrage of cannonfire, initiating a Hojo rout on the right and tipping the balance on the Hojo left. By the end of the afternoon, half of the Hojo army was in full flight and Ujinobu was unable to restore order, forcing a chaotic retreat. In total, Ujinobu had suffered 18,000 casualties in comparison to the Oda’s 6,000. Amidst the Hojo retreat, however, Konoe Tomoshige was mortally wounded by a vengeful retainer of Ujinobu who was killed afterwards. Hearing of the news of the battle but also of his brother’s injuries, the daijo daijin rode to Fukaya and was by Tomoshige’s bedside when the latter finally succumbed to his injuries. The following year, Nobutomo’s second son would receive his manhood rites and succeed the Konoe clan as Konoe Toshishige (近衛俊重).

The Battle of Fukaya decided the ultimate course of the Furuwatari War. After the battle, Ujinobu lacked the manpower to directly challenge the Oda again, and Oshi Castle finally fell in August 1638. By then, the Hojo lord had retreated all the way to Hachioji Castle (八王子城) in southern Musashi province. Across the board, the Hojo clan was in full retreat as were their allies in the Oshu region. The end of the war was near.

[1]: Mirrors the Oshi Castle siege of OTL in 1590 when Toyotomi Hideyoshi campaigned against the Hojo.

[2]: "Bandou" (坂東) is the old name of the Kanto region, and "bando musha" is a name of the samurai warriors from the region in the Heian and Kamakura eras, as the samurai first attained prominence in that region.​

Last edited:
And so begins the end for these traitors... I could see Nobutomo would punish the rebel clans severely but I could also see the daimyo's power being reduce as to make sure none of them attempt to rebel or join the rebels, at least in the north.

And the Oda clan demostrates once again who's boss in Japan and that ain't gonna change anytime soon. Purges and severe reductions of power are sure to follow.

seeing the rebels be finally be crushed decisively is very nice, and I wonder how the borders of kanto and oshu would change. I could defo see a few ppl committing seppuku and stuff, but it'd be defo interesting seeing the power balance change after the rebellion.

I defo hope we see kanto punished in some form.