Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Raquel Welch and Paul Driftwood
Interview with Raquel Welch, Writer's Magazine, 1996

RW:
Actually, my first attempt at writing was from a script. Patrick (Curtis) was my husband at the time and he had this script called 'Hannie Caulder'. It seemed cursed. Every time he'd almost get it sold, something would happen. I took the script and adapted it, I think that's the way you say it. Anyway, we published it under my first name, Jo, and reversed his name, so I was first on the book charts in the western category as Jo and Curtis Patrick.

Shannon Gibbs: But where did Winding Stairs come from?

RW: I replaced Karen Black in 'Burnt Offerings'.

SG: Was Working with Ollie (Oliver Reed) and Bette (Davis) that bad?

RW: No, it was that horrible child! (Lee H. Montgomery, who played Welch's son)

No. Actually, it was a fun shoot. Even Lee had fun when he wasn't with his tutor. He and Ollie would have tree-climbing contests and then Bette and I would beat them at it. Until Bette nearly fell and we found out the insurance wouldn't cover such an accident, then no more tree-climbing for any of us. So, of course, Lee and Ollie and the crew still did it. I had a lot of time, I was doing a horror movie and it wasn't so scary - the script, I mean, not to me. I began thinking about what would scare me.

SG: Do you think people were shocked that you came out with a horror novel?

RW: I think people expected a perfume from me or some sort of Jackie Collins-type novel. Not to talk down Jackie. I read her books-

SG: But that wasn't your thing?

RW: Evidently not.

* Writer of the Winding Stairs script and guest Interviewer.

On the other hand...

Footage of Oliver Reed on Dick Cavett's brief 1986-87 ABC talk show. Reed is visibly drunk and oversharing with Cavett and the audience

OR: Raquel Welch and Bette Davis. What a bloody nightmare. Both of them. And that snot-nosed kid--

DC: Lee Montgomery

OR: I don't--I just know he did that movie later on with that actor.

(Cavett and the audience start laughing)

DC: You know, that doesn't really narrow it down--

The audience is laughing. Oliver Reed pauses.

OR: Paul Driftwood!

DC: I think you mean Sam Westwood

OR: I don't bloody know. I just remember he wasn't a good actor.

DC: I interviewed Sam Westwood quite a bit in the 70s and found him to be quite an intelligent, interesting man.

(Oliver Reed looks bored and is grinning at the audience who nervously snicker)

OR: Can we stop talking about Sam bloody Driftwood?

DC: Moving on, Raquel has said nice things about you--

OR: Raquel Welch had her head buried in a notebook writing that God-awful book. When she wasn't doing that she was asking the director a bunch of questions about lighting.

DC: You'd worked with her before.

OR: Yeah and I would have walked off the set but I'd signed a contract and made the best out of the situation. [1]

[1] Allegedly, IOTL the two did not get on well.

Last edited:
The 48th Academy Awards: A list of winners and nominees
I sat on this for months, but here goes:

The 48th Academy Awards: A list of winners and nominees

Best Picture

Nashville – Robert Altman

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest – Michael Douglas, Saul Zaentz
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore- Catriona Nobel, Ian Nobel
Dog Day Afternoon – Martin Bregman, Martin Elfand
Jaws – Richard D. Zanuck, David Brown

Best Director

Robert Altman –
Nashville

Miloš Forman – One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Ida Lupino- Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Steven Spielberg- Jaws
Sidney Lumet – Dog Day Afternoon

Best Actor

Jack Nicholson – One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as Randle Patrick McMurphy

Walter Matthau – The Sunshine Boys as Willy Clark
Al Pacino – Dog Day Afternoon as Sonny Wortzik
Tom Skerritt- Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore as David
Bud Cort – Day Of The Locust as Tod Hacket

Best Actress

Ellen Burstyn- Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore as Alice Hyatt

Louise Fletcher – One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as Nurse Mildred Ratched
Isabelle Adjani – The Story of Adele H. as Adèle Hugo / Adèle Lewry
Ann-Margret – Tommy as Nora Walker
Carol Kane – Hester Street as Gitl

Best Supporting Actor

George Burns
The Sunshine Boys as Al Lewis

Brad Dourif – One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as Billy Bibbit
Burgess Meredith – The Day of the Locust as Harry Greener
Chris Sarandon – Dog Day Afternoon as Leon
Jack Warden – Shampoo as Lester Karpf

Best Supporting Actress

Lee Grant – Shampoo as Felicia Karpf

Ronee Blakley – Nashville as Barbara Jean
Brenda Vaccaro – Jacqueline Susann's Once Is Not Enough as Linda Riggs
Lily Tomlin – Nashville as Linnea Reese
Diane Ladd- Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore as Florence Jean Castlebury

Best Original Screenplay

Nashville- Joan Tewkesbury

Dog Day Afternoon – Frank Pierson
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore- Robert Getchell
Lies My Father Told Me – Ted Allan
Shampoo – Warren Beatty and Robert Towne

Best Adapted Screenplay

The Sunshine Boys – Neil Simon

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest – Bo Goldman and Lawrence Hauben
Day Of The Locust- Waldo Salt
The Man Who Would Be King – John Huston and Gladys Hill
Profumo di donna – Ruggero Maccari and Dino Risi

Best Costume Design

Funny Lady – Ray Aghayan and Bob Mackie

Barry Lyndon – Milena Canonero and Ulla-Britt Söderlund
The Four Musketeers – Yvonne Blake and Ron Talsky
The Magic Flute – Karin Erskine and Henny Noremark
The Man Who Would Be King – Edith Head

Best Original Score

Jaws – John Williams

Birds Do It, Bees Do It – Gerald Fried
Bite the Bullet – Alex North
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest – Jack Nitzsche
The Wind and the Lion – Jerry Goldsmith

Best Original Song Score or Adaptation Score

Tommy – Pete Townshend

Barry Lyndon – Leonard Rosenman
Funny Lady – Peter Matz

Best Original Song

"I'm Easy" from Nashville – Music and lyrics by Keith Carradine

"How Lucky Can You Get?" from Funny Lady – Music and lyrics by Kander and Ebb
"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)" from Mahogany – Music by Michael Masser; lyrics by Gerry Goffin
"Richard’s Window" from The Other Side of the Mountain – Music by Charles Fox; lyrics by Norman Gimbel
"Now That We’re In Love" from Whiffs – Music by George Barrie; lyrics by Sammy Cahn

Best Sound

Jaws – John Carter, Roger Heman, Robert Hoyt, and Earl Madery

Bite the Bullet – Les Fresholtz, Al Overton, Jr., Arthur Piantadosi, and Richard Tyler
Dune- Charles T. Knight, John H. Newman, and Richard Portman
The Hindenburg – John A. Bolger, Jr., John L. Mack, Leonard Peterson, and Don Sharpless
The Wind and the Lion – Roy Charman, William McCaughey, Aaron Rochin, and Harry W. Tetrick

Best Film Editing

Jaws – Verna Fields

Dog Day Afternoon – Dede Allen
Dune- Aaron Stell
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest – Richard Chew, Sheldon Kahn, Lynzee Klingman
Nashville- Dennis Hill & Sidney Levin

Holiday Megapost Spectacular
From a Harris Walker interview with an online film blog circa 2006. Harris is responding via e-mail.

HW: How did I end up in 'Food Of The Gods'? I honestly don't remember.

God, that movie was terrible, but it did really well for AIP. There were all these blown-up shots of the animals. The intent was for it to look terrifying when they were eating people. But it wasn't terrifying in a scary way. It was more like 'Night Of The Lepus'.

To be honest, I hardly remember the shoot. I was just trying to keep it together. Jennifer Jones was nice. She was trying to work again and doing that film was, unfortunately, a low point for her.

There were things I was offered after 'Food Of The Gods'. Roger Corman wanted to make a Cthulhu movie. That fell through, which in hindsight is probably for the best.
I'd already committed to working with Art (Ericson) on 'False Start' in Vancouver in the new year. The producers didn't want me because they'd heard about me falling off a yacht while drunk. They wanted Burton Cummings [1] and Art was against it because he'd never acted before. He fought really hard to get me and I couldn't just leave. So, I went to Vancouver in January for a two-month shoot.

After that, it was another shoot for something else, and another shoot after that. I had to keep working to bring in money. Sam and I had an arrangement early on that we would both make our own money if we were going to live together. Working while you are desperately trying to stay sober is a nightmare. I fell off the wagon a few times during the first two years. But working all the time did help to keep me occupied.

From a 1980 People Magazine Profile on Sharon Tate

(Tate is talking about turning down the lead in the 1976 turkey Gable and Lombard.)

"I wanted to take a break and start a family" Tate recalls.

Tate's first child with her second husband James Franciscus, a daughter, Georgiana, better known as Annie was born on May 18th, 1976--"

From the book Forgotten Films of the '70s by Nolan Hendricks (2003).

An excerpt regarding The Duchess and The Dirtwater Fox (1976) starring Twiggy and George Segal.

"Director Melvin Frank had hoped to use George Segal and Glenda Jackson, who he had worked with on a Touch Of Class, for this picture. After Jackson turned the role down, Twiggy was cast. Twiggy had one comedy under her belt with her film debut, 1971's The Boy Friend. However, her subsequent films: The James Bond adventure Live And Let Die and 1974's W were more serious in nature. The model-turned-singer-actress was eager to do a lighter film. While Twiggy got some praise for her comic turn, it was apparent to both critics and audiences alike that there was little on-screen chemistry with Segal and the film fell flat. Twiggy, for the most part, spent the rest of the decade trying to get a recording career off the ground--

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

"Elizabeth Taylor showed up at the premiere of The Bluebird with her new boyfriend Steven Spielberg in tow..."

-The National Enquirer.

Also via a National Enquirer headline:

"Sinatra knows who did it!"

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

From a Barbara Walters special interview with Elizabeth Taylor (1976)

Barbara Walters:
'The National Enquirer' picked up on you spending lots of time with an actor named Harris Walker before you went public about dating Steven Spielberg. Were you two involved?

Elizabeth Taylor: The Enquirer is full of crap. You should know that, Barbara!

No, I did not date Harris (Walker). I'm not his type. It's possible for me to be friends with an actor without me marrying him, you know. (Elizabeth starts laughing)

Barbara Walters: He is also a very close friend of Sam Westwood, is he not? The two are roommates...

(Elizabeth Taylor stops laughing and looks visibly annoyed by this point)

Elizabeth Taylor: Barbara, I'm not interested in talking about Sam Westwood.
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

From Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Harris: Elizabeth actually rang me up before that aired to warn me that Barbara Walters was still trying to ask about Sam's personal life. That she hadn't meant her response to Barbara as an insult.

Sam: It got treated like that, though. People actually misread Liz. She was trying to change the subject because quite frankly it was nobody's business. He paid the bills.

Harris: Of course, I paid the bills! Have you seen some of the s**t I was in?! (laughs)

The documentary cuts to an interview with Sam dated 1976. He is much younger than the Sam we have been seeing and is wearing a smart suit. It's obvious that Sam is talking about one Harris Walker.

Sam: He's my roommate. But we are friends and know each well enough to know when to give the other one space if we have, uh...guests over (laughs). Maybe someday he'll find his forever princess or I will, but until then....why fix something that isn't broken?

Interviewer: So, you're sharing a home until the right lady comes along? (laughs)

Sam: I guess you could say that, yes. (Sam laughs but looks very awkward)

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

From Variety

"Universal's The Legend Of King Kong slated for a December release..."

Photoplay:

"After a lengthy battle with producer Dino De Laurentiis and Paramount Pictures, Universal has managed to secure the rights to produce The Legend Of King Kong. The scheduled December release will be directed by Joseph Sargent with a screenplay by Bo Goldman (One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest). Word has it Columbo star Peter Falk is up for the role of Carl Denham."

"I think Paramount gave up fighting because they were already spending a lot of money trying to get 'Star Trek Phase II' and their television network going."

-Bo Goldman talking about the King Kong production to Fangoria ten years later.

"There was a fight over casting. Universal wanted Laurette Spang who was under contract. I wanted Teresa Graves, but it was going to be done as a period piece and knew that might not fly--"

- Joseph Sargent (Also to Fangoria) [2]

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

[1] Cummings was a megastar in Canada. Because he actually did attempt a film career with Melanie, it's plausible that someone producing a Canuxploitation/arthouse film might drag his name out earlier.

[2] Carrie, Star Wars, King Kong, etc. are all planned for the spin-off I'm trying to get off the ground.

Last edited:
Sam Westwood talking about Farrah Fawcett-Majors
"Paul Newman has confirmed to recently shooting some second unit photography at the 1976 Olympic Games for an anonymous film project"
-Variety

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
From a cassette tape belonging to the archive of Nolan Hendricks. This one is labelled 'Sam Westwood, 1991'

Nolan: Can I bring up Farrah Fawcett again? Because she was such a big deal in the mid to late '70s. I had her poster and remember my dad taking me to see 'Logan's Run'.*

Sam: We all had posters, but nothing compared to that poster. It was huge.

I didn't think 'Logan's Run' was the greatest movie, personally, but she was interesting on screen. My cinema-going tastes at that time were, uh, for lack of a better word...weird. I really liked that Jacques Tati movie 'Confusion'. [1]

Anyway, yeah I did want to work with her when the opportunity presented itself.

Nolan: 'Sunburn' was a fun movie.

Sam: I'm still bitter that it wasn't a bigger hit. Maybe it was too much like 'Foul Play'. I don't know. Once again, Harrison Ford! (laughs) [2]

Nolan: You've mentioned meeting Farrah at the same party where Steve McQueen was behaving erratically--

Sam: That, uh...that was a really weird night. There are a hundred different versions of what happened. I don't remember Lee Majors being there, some people do. I was with Sharon Tate, Jay Sebring and Farrah most of that night.

When I worked with her on 'Sunburn' she was still married to Lee Majors but they were separated. It was either before or after Ryan O'Neal. Sharon told her what it was like working with Ryan O'Neal and the next thing I knew she was with Joe Namath instead.

[1] Tati lives long enough ITTL to make Confusion opposite the Mael Brothers aka Sparks.

[2] ITTL, Foul Play is a Sharon Tate/ Harrison Ford vehicle.

*I kept wanting to butterfly Farrah Fawcett being in Charlie's Angels for a more successful 70's film career but decided to leave it as IOTL up to a point. The focus will be on her later career being better.

Last edited:
"Paul Newman has confirmed to recently shooting some second unit photography at the 1976 Olympic Games for an anonymous film project"
-Variety

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
From a cassette tape belonging to the archive of Nolan Hendricks. This one is labelled 'Sam Westwood, 1991'

Nolan: Can I bring up Farrah Fawcett again? Because she was such a big deal in the mid to late '70s. I had her poster and remember my dad taking me to see 'Logan's Run'.*

Sam: We all had posters, but nothing compared to that poster. It was huge.

I didn't think 'Logan's Run' was the greatest movie, personally, but she was interesting on screen. My cinema-going tastes at that time were, uh, for lack of a better word...weird. I really liked that Jacques Tati movie 'Confusion'. [1]

Anyway, yeah I did want to work with her when the opportunity presented itself.

Nolan: 'Sunburn' was a fun movie.

Sam: I'm still bitter that it wasn't a bigger hit. Maybe it was too much like 'Foul Play'. I don't know. Once again, Harrison Ford! (laughs) [2]

Nolan: You've mentioned meeting Farrah at the same party where Steve McQueen was behaving erratically--

Sam: That, uh...that was a really weird night. There are a hundred different versions of what happened. I don't remember Lee Majors being there, some people do. I was with Sharon Tate, Jay Sebring and Farrah most of that night.

When I worked with her on 'Sunburn' she was still married to Lee Majors but they were separated. It was either before or after Ryan O'Neal. Sharon told her what it was like working with Ryan O'Neal and the next thing I knew she was with Joe Namath instead.

[1] Tati lives long enough ITTL to make Confusion opposite the Mael Brothers aka Sparks.

[2] ITTL, Foul Play is a Sharon Tate/ Harrison Ford vehicle.

*I kept wanting to butterfly Farrah Fawcett being in Charlie's Angels for a more successful 70's film career but decided to leave it as IOTL up to a point. The focus will be on her later career being better.
Glad to see this timeline is still active

The Reincarnation Of Peter Proud (Universal, October, 1976)
The Reincarnation Of Peter Proud (Universal, October, 1976)

Directed by J. Lee Thompson
Screenplay by Max Ehrlich (Based on his novel of the same name) and Charles and Alexa Foster.

Main Cast

Sam Westwood
as Dr. Peter Proud

Ida Lupino as Marcia Curtis

Geraldine Chaplin as Ann Curtis

Brooke Adams as Young Marcia

Kate Jackson as Nora Hayes [1]

René Auberjonois as Dr. Samuel Goodman

Anne Ives as Ellen Curtis

Tony Spinelli as Jeff Curtis (Peter's past self)

Carrie Fisher as Suzy

Notes from IMDB

Sam Westwood and Ida Lupino both agreed to appear in the film if revisions were made to the original script. Husband and wife team Charles and Alexa Foster, who had previously written the 1974 film Targeted starring Westwood were hired for the job.

When the film was originally in production with Cinerama, Michael Sarrazin was cast as the eponymous lead.

Geraldine Chaplin went right into Welcome To L.A. (1976) right after production on this film wrapped up.

From Sam Westwood's Hollywood (2016)

Sam:
I wanted to play Peter and Jeff as a double role, but that male model was brought in. He was a GQ model. Not much of an actor, but he was easy on the eyes. I wanted Harris-

Harris: Sam wanted me to audition to play his past self once the idea of a double role was shot down. I thought it was a weird idea.

Sam: I respected why he didn't want to do it.

Interviewer: How did Brooke Adams get cast?

Sam: Brooke Adams was cast because Ida didn't want to play younger in the dream sequences. She didn't like how sexually explicit parts of the film were. A lot of it was toned down from the original script because Ida thought it would look "bloody daft", like Joan Crawford at the beginning of 'Strait-Jacket'--

Harris: But...that was Joan's best movie!

Sam: Joan looked ridiculous and Ida was really smart when it came to knowing what worked and what didn't work. Otherwise, it would have been silly.

Harris (shrugs): I still liked it...

Sam: The cast is what made Peter Proud. Geraldine Chaplin...it was a bit different for her but she did some really underrated movies around that time. 'Remember My Name' was really good. [2]

From Variety in late 1974:

"Writer Max Elrich and Director J. Lee Thompson have announced that they still intend to film The Reincarnation Of Peter Proud without backing from Cinerama and Bing Crosby Productions. Thompson was attached to direct when the production fell through earlier this year. Cinerama and Bing Crosby Productions pulled the plug not long after. Thompson is in talks with various studios, most notably Universal Pictures. If the film is picked up, Thompson will also act as Producer."

"Sam Westwood gives a very compelling performance as the eponymous Peter Proud. This is a film that with a lesser cast could have been a dud. Between directing Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore and acting in this film, Ida Lupino is on a roll".
-Vincent Canby

"J. Lee Thompson proved several years ago that he knew what to do with Westwood. After a bit of a dry spell for the talented actor, Thompson has once again shown us that he can get Sam Westwood to evolve as an actor".
-Roger Ebert

"Peter Proud hits at B.O.- Film a candidate for awards season"
-Variety

[1] She still does Charlie's Angels ITTL

[2] Remember My Name inspired me to cast her in this.

Last edited:
The 49th Academy Awards
The 49th Academy Awards: A List of Winners and Nominees*
*As per usual select categories

Best Picture

Network

Rocky
All the President's Men
Bound for Glory
Taxi Driver

Best Director

Sidney Lumet -
Network

John G. Avildsen – Rocky
Ingmar Bergman – Face to Face
Alan J. Pakula – All the President's Men
Lina Wertmüller – Seven Beauties

Best Actor

Peter Finch – Network (posthumous win)

Robert De Niro – Taxi Driver
Sylvester Stallone- Rocky
William Holden – Network
Sam Westwood- The Reincarnation Of Peter Proud

Best Actress

Jessica Walter – Network

Marie-Christine Barrault – Cousin Cousine
Talia Shire – Rocky
Sissy Spacek – Carrie
Liv Ullmann – Face to Face

Best Supporting Actor

Jason Robards – All the President's Men

Laurence Olivier – Marathon Man
Ned Beatty – Network
Burgess Meredith – Rocky
Burt Young- Rocky

Best Supporting Actress

Piper Laurie –
Carrie

Beatrice Straight – Network
Jane Alexander – All the President's Men
Jodie Foster – Taxi Driver
Lee Grant – Voyage of the Damned

Best Original Screenplay

Network – Paddy Chayefsky

Cousin Cousine – Jean-Charles Tacchella and Danièle Thompson
The Front – Walter Bernstein
Rocky – Sylvester Stallone
Seven Beauties – Lina Wertmüller

Best Adapted Screenplay

All the President's Men – William Goldman from All the President's Men by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward

Bound for Glory – Robert Getchell from Bound for Glory by Woody Guthrie
Fellini's Casanova – Federico Fellini and Bernardino Zapponi from Histoire de ma vie by Giacomo Casanova
The Seven-Per-Cent Solution – Nicholas Meyer from The Seven-Per-Cent Solution by Nicholas Meyer
The Reincarnation Of Peter Proud - Max Ehrlich and Charles and Alexa Foster from The Reincarnation Of Peter Proud by Max Ehrlich

Best Original Score

Taxi Driver – Bernard Herrmann (posthumous win)

The Omen – Jerry Goldsmith
Obsession – Bernard Herrmann (posthumous nomination)
The Outlaw Josey Wales – Jerry Fielding
Voyage of the Damned – Lalo Schifrin

Best Original Song Score or Adaptation Score

Bound for Glory – Leonard Rosenman

Bugsy Malone – Paul Williams
A Star Is Born – Roger Kellaway

Best Original Song

"Evergreen (Love Theme from A Star Is Born)" from
A Star Is Born

"A World That Never Was" from Half a House
"Ave Satani" from The Omen
"Come to Me" from The Pink Panther Strikes Again
"Gonna Fly Now" from Rocky

Best Sound

Rocky

All the President's Men
Silver Streak
A Star Is Born
The Reincarnation Of Peter Proud

Next: Sam talks Oscar Night

Last edited:
From the documentary Sam Westwood's Hollywood: Oscars, Anita Bryant and the convention circuit.
From the documentary Sam Westwood's Hollywood
Sam is packing for a convention in Phoenix while being asked about the Oscars

Sam: Honestly...I'm not even sure how that performance got nominated. And the competition was fierce that year. We both knew Peter Finch was going to win.

My mother caught wind that I'd been nominated again and she was really excited for me. So I arranged for them to visit and she came with me to the ceremony. My dad stayed behind at Harris' party.

both laugh

Harris: I held a viewing party. There were a few celebrities there but it was mostly people I knew from my photography work. Mary Woronov and Paul Bartel showed up. Stephen McHattie swung by. Pat Ast put in an appearance. Hadn't seen her in a bit. And yeah...Fred Westwood was in the middle of it! (laughs)

Sam: Wasn't Helen there?

Harris: Helen was at the Oscars. Remember Shelley Hack had been in 'Taxi Driver'. You came by after on the way to Ian's, picked up Fred, and left. I didn't want to go, already had friends over and didn't want to ditch them.

Sam: Right. Think Ian actually thought I'd win.

Harris: I wanted you to win but figured Finch had it in the bag dead or alive. Fred was at the house with me before that. And he pulled me aside and...he knew.

Sam: Yeah. As I mentioned, he wasn't upset about me being gay it was not telling him when it was so obvious to him. Anyway, we kind of went off course, sorry.

Peter Proud had a couple of nominations. It was just really unexpected. Mentioned Peter Finch, but I was also up against DeNiro, Stallone, William Holden--

I: 'Rocky' didn't win any of the categories--

Sam: Yeah. That was brutal.

I think the big shock was Piper Laurie winning for 'Carrie'. Horror films usually didn't stand a chance.

I: You did SNL around the time 'Peter Proud' came out

Sam: That's right. I did my very first Saturday Night Live when I was promoting the picture. [1]

I don't really have a ton of anecdotes. Chevy Chase was still on. They wrote me into a skit he was set to do. Chevy wasn't very friendly after that. I feel like it's a rite of passage to have a Chevy Chase horror story.[2]

My big skit that night was the one where I play that guy who has all sorts of bad stuff happen. I'm in a hospital bed still smiling by the end, then I keel over after the life support is turned off by accident. Turns out to be an insurance commercial. I think Chevy was annoyed that I was doing some similar physical comedy stuff.

I: What about the film parody skit?

Sam: That was the other one. Essentially it was a parody of my neo-noir movies with Laraine Newman and Dan Ackroyd.
It must have gone well because they asked me back when 'The Driver' came out.

Cut to the next day. Sam and Harris get out of the small car that Harris has been driving and head into a coffee shop. A few people turn and notice the two men but they aren't recognized.

Sam: It's all about the sunglasses. I wear my sunglasses at night sometimes too. (laughs)

Art is going to be at this thing too. Told him we'd meet for breakfast before the convention. Harris and I will be busy at our table all day.

Harris: I never liked charging for autographs, but those are the rules.

Sam: Harris got me into the convention circuit.

Harris: Helen thought it would be a way for me to make money and interact with fans while still working. I had one foot in art house films and the other in horror movies and TV. So I was able to do these little film Q&A sessions and conventions. And in the old days, at least, public access TV interviews.

The two men go inside. Sam briefly stops to talk to the hostess who takes them to a table. Sam and Harris are waiting for Art, who has yet to show up.

Sam: When I wasn't getting very many offers, I started going out to these. Harris and I go together when we can. It's our "thing".

A man shows up. He has glasses, a receding hairline, and some facial scruff. He looks older, not having aged as well as "the guys".

Harris: There he is!

Art: Hey guys, sorry I'm late. I got holed up in traffic. I bet you two had all sorts of...interesting stories about me for the camera people there. (laughs nervously)

Sam: Nothing we didn't discuss beforehand with you.

Art: Meh. I deserve it. I could be an asshole. Why you guys kept working with me, I'll never know.

Sam: Because you're a good director.

Harris: Hell, you got some good acting out of me--

Art: You were in my worst movie, Sam!

Art looks uncomfortable at Harris about to mention the False Start shoot. A waitress comes and takes their order and the conversation resumes.

Art: I didn't film Sam in anything until the 80's, but I'd used Harris quite a bit for stuff. Anyway, I'd harboured a crush on Harris.

Harris wasn't speaking to me at that time but I really wanted him for a role. Eventually, I wrote a segment for 'Horror Show', called 'Mary Washington' that Douglas Trumbull directed.

Sam: Which still scares me shitless by the way.

Art chuckles at this

Art: I was also offered a chance to direct a fake trailer for that. I talked Harris into it solely because Rick Baker was doing the makeup, I think.

Harris: Getting the golden opportunity to play a re-animated rotting corpse with Rick Baker doing the makeup? I wasn't gonna say no! I had pictures of me taken on set like that and mailed them to Sam (laughs hysterically)

Sam: I wrote him back and said: "Thanks for the nightmares last night!".

Harris: Sam got me back good later on.

Sam: Damn straight I got you back later! (laughs).

Harris: Art also wrote an early draft for that disaster movie I did.

Art: Was writing that script when I wound up at CAA and Roger Corman took that over himself briefly before Michael Armstrong stepped in. He was different than what I'd had in mind, but Michael is talented.

At CAA, I was offered the chance to direct a James Bond spin-off because Cubby Broccoli had watched 'Secret Of The Damned' and 'Horror Show'. I don't know why he thought of me--
Later on after footage of Sam at the convention is shown, he's interviewed in his hotel room

Sam: 1977 of course was the year Anita Bryant went on her rampage. I still wish I had done more. Judy Garland knew this man named Troy Perry who was an openly gay minister, and head of the Metropolitan Community Church. Now, I never went to their services, but was in contact with Troy. They were fighting Anita Bryant's Save Our Children campaign and he asked me if I would like to represent them. I knew that it would require me to come out and my career would be toast. Dick was just in the middle of getting me onto CAA's roster. My career was doing the best it had been, and I put it before my values. Troy was very nice about it, but I regret not doing anything about that. Harris did a little bit of protesting, as much as he could at least.

Harris: I was photographed wearing an "Anita Bryant Sucks Oranges" t-shirt and wanted to protest more. Basically we were both too damn chickenshit to do more. And like Sam, I regret it.

Sam: And of course, the gay rights ordinance that gave people their freedoms in Dade county was passed. The only redeeming thing about it was that Anita's career nosedived after. Not that I wish that on anyone, it's horrible to have your career publicly nosedive.

I think it would have been repealed earlier had a lot of awful stuff in the 80s not happened, but finally, in 1998 the ban was overturned. [3]

Harris: I have this horrible feeling, you know, that if she hadn't pulled her stunt someone else would have during the Reagan era.

Sam: I think that was the point where we questioned our lives. Why are we hiding this? We aren't doing anything wrong. We're consenting adults. And something must have happened to Anita for her to really hate gay people. But I don't know what was inside her head, nor do I want to know.

Harris: I was about ready to put one foot out of the closet and call myself bisexual, but I'm not and it would have been lying. And as I've said before not fair to anyone who is bisexual.

Sam: That was more acceptable for rock stars.

Sam is later shown outside a well-kept older house.

Sam: I grew up here. I was careful with my money back in the day. When my dad passed away he specified in his will that he wanted me to keep the house.

Harris: He knew that things were about to fall apart and you could live here.

Sam: I have suspected that. When my dad died, I started renting it out. Eventually, we sold it.

Harris: Occasionally you'd get anti-gay protesters trying to show up on the lawn back in the 80's. It didn't last long cuz Fred and the neighbors would chase them off.

Sam: People liked my parents, they liked me. I guess nothing changed their opinion of me. I was grateful for that.
Sam gets back in the vehicle.

Sam: I'm ok not going in. The last time we went it looked totally different and that was...hard. Not that people can't renovate, but you know--

Sam looks emotional and starts to trail off.

Sam: Anyway, we are both doing a second day in Phoenix tomorrow.

Harris: Jeff was supposed to be there, but he hasn't been well.

Sam: Because of Jeff's age, it's become harder for him. Last time we were all at a convention, he had to get around in a walker. Nate, his son, has sometimes stepped in as guaranteed backup to promoters if Jeff can't make it. The family has a list. If Jeff can't attend, then Natalie goes, or Natasha or Nate. They all have things to talk about. And with Nate switching from acting to being a casting director--

Harris: It's a package deal (laughs)

Sam: Basically.

I: Like you guys--

Sam: The two of us usually go together because it allows us to spend some time. And I liked it because people would ask me about things other than my being outed. Harris had to pull my leg to go, though.

Harris: Well we had both done horror and sci-fi related work, so it seemed logical for him to go.

(Interviewer is muffled)

Harris: I was used to feeling judged. Food Of The Gods? (laughs)

Sam had been near the top of the pile, though. It's harder when you were that huge.

(Interviewer is muffled)

Harris: Yes, we actually worked together on 'Interlocked'. I had a smaller role.

Sam: We shared a trailer. I don't think anyone really gave a shit. There were people on that set who knew. Paul and Scott Newman, obviously--

Harris: But there were people in the cast and crew who didn't know. Because I had less shooting time than Sam, we'd just tell them it made more sense for me to share with him. Which wasn't a lie.

[1] 10/16/1976 Sam Westwood and John Prine. Karen Black and Prine IOTL.

[2] The Green Cross Cupcake sketch. Skit mostly plays out as IOTL only Jane Curtain plays the wife in lieu of Karen Black and Sam Westwood pops up as The Scientist instead of Chase.

[3] 2007 IOTL

Last edited:
False Start (Cinema 5 Distributing, July 1977)
False Start (Cinema 5 Distributing, July 1977)

Directed by Arthur Ericson

Screenplay by Arthur Ericson

Cast

Harris Walker
as Frank Simmons

Susan Clark as Laura Simmons

Nerene Virgin as Denice Carver

Arthur Hill as Walt Simmons

Lois Maxwell as Dorothy

Gordon Pinsent as Hal

Lynne Griffin as Francine

Hart Bochner as Bar Patron

Plot Summary

Frank Simmons (Walker) is a 28-year-old washed-up former college football star who is now living in Seattle with his father, a widowed alcoholic World War II veteran (Hill) who watches television all day. Frank works as a bartender at a dive bar owned by the colorful Hal (Pinsent). Frank's older sister, Laura (Clark) is a snobbish social climbing divorcee who is ashamed of her brother and father. She is fixated on her rich friends and keeping up appearances.

After an awkward first meeting, Frank gets to know Denice (Virgin), the newest waitress at Hal's bar through fellow waitress Francine (Griffin). Denice wins Frank over when she tells off an obnoxious trouble-making bar patron (Hart Bochner). Denice is recently divorced and has moved to Seattle for a fresh start. She is an aspiring writer and opens Frank up to different types of literature. Denice also notices Frank's sketchbook and encourages him to do more with his art. The two begin dating. Much to Franks's surprise, Walt likes Denice, telling Frank she's a "keeper".

Laura hears about Denice after Walt mentions her on the phone and invites Frank to a dinner party, telling him to bring her. Both find the guests to be rather pretentious. Laura is appalled that her brother is dating a Black woman and pulls him aside. Frank confronts Laura, calling her out on her racism and social climbing ways in front of the other guests, reminding Laura that she is the common denominator in her relationships not working out. Frank then tells Denice that they need to leave. On the way home, Frank and Denice argue, causing Denice to break up with him.

Denice quits her job at the bar soon after, leaving Frank heartbroken. Hal and Francine try to cheer him up to no avail. He confides to his father about what happened. Walt tells Frank that he should try and win Denice back and to stop living off of past glories, telling him that his football days were a "false start" and that he could do much better with his life.

Realizing he needs to follow his own advice, Walt starts attending AA meetings where he meets kind-hearted Dorothy (Maxwell). Walt starts dating her. Laura doesn't like Dorothy and does her best to treat her like dirt. Walt tells Laura to leave and not bother stopping by again as she seems to dislike seeing him and Frank happy and will stop at nothing to keep them miserable.

Frank runs into Denice one night at the library where she now works and apologizes to her. She accepts, realizing Frank genuinely loves her. The two gradually resume their relationship. Frank still works at the bar, while attending art school at the local college. Hal tells him that maybe he'll display his work, bragging to the patrons that some art on the walls might bring a "touch of class to the place". Frank decides to move in with Denice. The pair purchase a cheap apartment and fix it up. Dorothy moves in with Walt, and soon after the two are married.

The film ends with Frank and Denice having a family dinner at Walt's house alongside his stepmother. The TV set is finally off for a change. Frank hears the doorbell ring and gets up to answer. The film ends with Laura awkwardly standing at the door ready to apologize.

Notes about False Start

Vancouver, British Columbia stood in for Seattle, Washington.

The film was shot in early, 1976.

Ericson wanted Diahnne Abbott for the role of Denice. Canadian actress and journalist Nerene Virgin was eventually cast. Virgin is probably best known for her stint as a cast member of the classic children's TV show Today's Special.

False Start had a fairly wide release in Canada but was relegated to art house theatres in the United States.

A month after this film was released, Horror Show, an anthology film that Ericson contributed to was released.

Frank's drawings were actually by Ryan Larkin, the Oscar-nominated NFB filmmaker whose career was cut short by drug usage. Ericson had been a friend of Larkin's and hired him to do a few sketches as a favour.

*****************************************************************************************

From a cassette tape belonging to the archive of Nolan Hendricks. This one is labeled 'Sam Westwood/ Harris Walker, 1991'

Harris has been asked about working with Lois Maxwell

Harris: I enjoyed working with her. I did ask about the Bond films and she had a few anecdotes. It was cordial.

Art will tell you that he has no idea how he got the Bond spin-off but I always figured she gushed about him to Cubby Broccoli.

Anyway, Art was a bit rough on me when we shot 'False Start'. He had to struggle to get me to agree to shoot the little sequence we shot for 'Horror Show'. There was a period when I didn't want much to do with him.

Art...I've mentioned before that he was in love with me and got a bit sour grapes about things when I turned him down.

Anyway, I got some decent reviews for that movie, it was up for a bunch of awards in Canada, and it led to some pretty decent projects. But I still did a lot of schlock (laughs)

Nolan: You were in 'Annie Hall'--

Harris: For like, two seconds! It's not even a movie I enjoy and people constantly ask me about it.
*******************************************************************************************************

Videotaped footage of a man in a t-shirt and blazer combo talking. He's still fairly dark-haired and has a five o'clock shadow. The disclaimer "Harris Walker Film and TV Actor/ Music Video Director" comes up on the screen. The footage is roughly from around 1990. Harris has recently experienced an unexpected career upswing. The interviewer is someone who was probably famous on cable television at one time but whose identity has been lost to the dustbin of history. There is no identification card for him either in the video, comments, or YouTube description.

Interviewer: How did you end up in 'Annie Hall'?

Harris: I was in that movie for about ten seconds. If you blink or turn around, you'll miss it. I played half of the happy couple alongside Shelley Hack. We shared an agent.

Interviewer: And you had both done catalogue modeling, had you not?

Harris: Yeah. we did print modeling together a few years before. Sears or Penney's or something. I don't keep track of that stuff. (laughs)

When you are a working actor, you do whatever roles come your way. Sometimes they can be leads or important supporting roles. Other times, you might land a walk-on part.

You do what you have to or you can't pay the bills.

Interviewer: So it was just another gig for you?

Harris: Yeah.

Interviewer: What was Woody Allen like to work with? That must have been a career highlight for you, working with such a great director.

Harris: It was another quick gig that paid the bills. Only it happened to be in an important movie so it gets brought up. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but his films aren't my cup of tea. I'm not the only person who had a bit part or a cameo in that movie. (shrugs)

Woody had a style that I wasn't used to.

Interviewer: But you worked with Robert Altman and he was on the more experimental side.

Harris: Comparing those two is apples and oranges, y'know? Sure, they're both more artistic directors, but the films they make aren't comparable.

Last edited:
There's been a retcon to the previous Oscars post. Somehow forgot that Jessica Walter starred in Network in this TL. Because a previous post mentioned that, the Oscar now goes to her, not Faye Dunaway.

Last edited: