Chapter 40 - The low Countries from 1515 to 1517
Chapter 40 – The Low Countries from 1515 to 1517

The years after 1515 had been peaceful ones for the Grand Duchy of Brabant. The Treaty of Graveline had settled the conflict between England and Boulogne, owning much to the diplomatic skills of Philip. The acquired territories included in Brabant had all fallen into line and his grip on Burgundy were secured. The peace was welcome to Philip, as he increasingly felt fatigued and relied more heavily on his son for support. Ever since the age of eight he had kept up a restless tempo and the consequences began to come calling. The wars in Frisia had also taken their toll on the duke and in the winter of 1515, he suffered a severe cold that left him bedridden for nearly two weeks. Duchess Philippa tended to him personally, leaving Countess Beatrijs in charge of the court once more. Two more children had been born to Beatrijs since 1510, Charles of Brabant and Beatrice of Brabant. Another pregnancy had ended in a miscarriage, but the succession of the grand duchy was secured. Scotland had become another ally as his niece had wedded James V and the peace between the all of the neighbours has lasted.

The death of Emperor Maximilian marked the last endeavour undertaken by the Grand Duke. Determined to keep any other interloper of the imperial throne, Philip dispatched William de Croy, 1st count of Beaumont to the court of Vienna. Elections cost money and Philip had riches in plenty. He gave a generous offer to Frederick, king of Romans with a few conditions. The grand duke wanted the protection of the empire from all enemies of Brabant as the Duchy of Burgundy and the Palatinate of Burgundy laid by the empire’s boarder. Philip also hoped to further undercut the Hansa in Germany and perhaps to see one of his granddaughters becoming the bride of Archduke Frederick, the second son of the king. With as many crowns as his father had, Archduke Frederick would certainly inherit a realm of his own and even if he was not the future emperor, an imperial match would bring prestige. The negotiations between England and Brabant had fallen aside as King Richard had refused Marguerite of Brabant for his son in favour of Archduchess Elizabeth. But there were other realms to consider, such as Portugal and Spain. Right now, the Empire was on Philip’s mind.

The election of 1516 only had one clear contender to the throne: The king of the Romans. Frederick was well known to the German princes as he had spent many years traveling in Germany, especially after his sister Hedwig eloped with her Báthory lord and shamed the Elector Palatine. One other contester could have been Philippe, the heir to the Grand Duchy of Brabant, but he had no interest of governing a realm like Germany when the splendidness of the Low Countries and Burgundy would be his soon, as his father’s health was faltering. The king of France could not mount a challenge and Richard IV had no interest in obtaining the crown as his affairs were in England.

The election was decided by June in Frankfurth where the electors had gathered to make their decision. The outcome was clear from the start and the annunciation held no surprise:

The election of the King of the Romans as Frederick IV rang from all the church bells in Germany on that sunny day in 1516. The emperor had a new ruler and the House of Hapsburg had triumphed once more. The Holy Roman Empire would face many challenges in the coming decades, as the threat of the Ottomans was not the only danger facing them. Internal tensions and a huge shift in the religious world would come soon and Frederick would have to rely on all of his resources to face the challenges.

Giving his sister the crown of the Holy Roman Empress would be Philip’s last grand act. In 1516 Anne was the sibling with the greatest standing remaining. Their sister Isabella had been banished from the court of France and was forced to leave the splendor of the royal residences of the Valois kings by her own son and fled back to her father’s kingdom the year before. The death of her only daughter, Marie, had devastated her further as well as the loss of contact with her grandchildren and while her condition improved in the Low Countries, she still remained a figure cloaked in sorrow. John of Burgundy, Count of Saint Pol had been slain by his nephew when defending the Duchy in 1507. And the Grand Duke was increasingly ailing. By comparison, Anne enjoyed both health and strength and the full splendor of the imperial court. In her own way, the youngest child of Charles the Bold, Anne the Posthumous of Burgundy had reached the highest as Empress, and Queen of Bohemia and Hungary as well as Archduchess of Austria. No doubt her father would have been proud of his son in law in 1516 and even more in 1526, in which a stroke of victory would immortalize Frederick forever in christian Europe.

In the last day of October of 1517, the bells rang for their Grand Duke for the last time. Philip died in the early morning in the Palace of Bruges. His last night was spent surrounded by his family, much to his joy during the few moments of wakefulness in the final hours. Philippa and Philippe sat by his bedside, keeping their husband and father company in the last days. To the citizens of the Low Countries the next days would be days of mourning and church bells would toll hourly from Amiens to Amsterdam.

Almost fifty years has passed since the marriage between Charles the Bold to Margaret of York in 1468 in 1517. The Burgundian Netherlands had been troubled by lack of cohesion, strife between the cities and the dukes, hostilities from France and fears regarding the succession. The birth of Philip in 1469 turned out to be the salvation of all those fears. His reign had been a nearly uninterrupted peace for nearly forty years. A period of tranquility since 1480 in which the Low Countries had become a more cohesive realm. The lands had prospered, the trades network spread its tendrils all over Europe, humanism spread out around from the court, reaching merchants, religious communities and peasants. A strong network of marriages had been crafted from 1490 and onward, including England, Denmark, Lorraine, Brittany, Scotland and the Holy Roman Empire itself. The many allies had brought Brabant international prestige and advantages amongst the kings of Europe. And perhaps most importantly, the Duchy of Burgundy had been recovered from the grasp of France.

The two marriages of both father and son had been of crucial importance to the Low Countries. The splendid wedding of Charles the Bold and Margaret had been known as the Marriage of the Century for its ostentatious grandeur being displayed to all attendants. The union of Philip and Philippa had been another one, a powerful display of internal healing from strife and wars. Even if certain naysayers had been negative about the lack of a dowry or foreign alliance that Philippa brought with her to the marriage.

Philip would receive the epitaph of Philip the Unifier by historians and he is considered the Father of the Netherlands to this day, with his reign being seen as a golden age for the Low Countries.

Philip of Burgundy’s son would go on to rule the Low Countries at the Grand Duke of Brabant and Duke of Burgundy. The day after Philip’s death the world changed forever, as a monk named Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the wall of the church in Wittenberg.

The_marriage_at_cana1_wga.jpg

The Marriage in Cana by David Gerard ca 1510. It was delivered as a gift for the Grand Duke and it is supposed to show several ducal members. The lady in red with a cloak is believed to be the countess Beatrijs, with Margaretha sitting between the saint and Katelijne in the cloth of gold dress with white and black fabric at the corner of the table. The young man sitting to the left is believed to be Philippe, Count of Namur and Philippa of Guelders in a white hood and black dress kneeling to the in the right corner in prayer. Philip of Burgundy is the man in the left corner in black and red. Antoine of Brabant is the small child behind his father and the young man in red clothes kneeling before Philippa is Jean of Brabant, their second son.

Author's Note: Well, this chapter was always meant to haunt me. Our dear Grand Duke has exited the stage and the Low Countries has a new ruler. Poor Philippa. And here comes Martin Luther with a steel chair!

AMAZING GIRL! RIP Philip the unifier. You did a great work. Your parents are so proud of You.

Yes! All HAIL Frederick IV! And his great battle happens the same year as OTL mohacs, let's smash some ottomans! AEIOU!

AMAZING GIRL! RIP Philip the unifier. You did a great work. Your parents are so proud of You.

Yes! All HAIL Frederick IV! And his great battle happens the same year as OTL mohacs, let's smash some ottomans! AEIOU!
He certainly took the different realms of his father and made them into a cohesive unit. And we're most likely heading towards an epic clash between the HRE and the Ottomans in 1526.
Plus loved the marriage of the Century shout out to the og title of the story! @BlueFlowwer
It was a love note to Christine Weightman and my old tl that really got me dabbling in alternative history.

He certainly took the different realms of his father and made them into a cohesive unit. And we're most likely heading towards an epic clash between the HRE and the Ottomans in 1526.

It was a love note to Christine Weightman and my old tl that really got me dabbling in alternative history.
That he did and we couldnt be happier.

And the Habsburgs Will be the shield of christendom agaisnt the ottomans! Frederick Will be legendary!

And great love note

Nice chapter Blue, but if Frederick has already been elected as King of the Romans he is automatically the Emperor once his father died, without any need for another election (if anything is still needed that is a coronation by the Pope not another election)

Nice chapter Blue, but if Frederick has already been elected as King of the Romans he is automatically the Emperor once his father died, without any need for another election (if anything is still needed that is a coronation by the Pope not another election)
...I thought there was a election regardless of the candidate being the King of the Romans? Since the position as Emperor was not bound by blood, but by election?
Regardless, Frederick was the only clear candidate to the imperial throne at this time.

...I thought there was a election regardless of the candidate being the King of the Romans? Since the position as Emperor was not bound by blood, but by election?
Regardless, Frederick was the only clear candidate to the imperial throne at this time.
No, the election is either for the King of the Romans (if there Is already an Emperor) or the Holy Roman Emperor. If someone has been already elected King of the Romans during the lifetime of the previous Emperor he will be the next Emperor. Electing someone as King of the Romans mean electing him as heir of the current Holy Roman Emperor so he will automatically become the next Emperor once the holder dies

Well it looks like the Netherlands will be a force to be reckoned with, especially as time goes on, though there is still the danger of France...
They are gonna become a quite the power in Europe in many ways.
No, the election is either for the King of the Romans (if there Is already an Emperor) or the Holy Roman Emperor. If someone has been already elected King of the Romans during the lifetime of the previous Emperor he will be the next Emperor. Electing someone as King of the Romans mean electing him as heir of the current Holy Roman Emperor so he will automatically become the next Emperor once the holder dies
Gosh darn that imperial politicking. I'll edit it later.

They are gonna become a quite the power in Europe in many ways.
good
Gosh darn that imperial politicking. I'll edit it later.
That would be the best thing but do not worry… If you are only marginally interested on the Holy Roman Empire is understandable who you had not caught who the King of the Romans was the title of the elected heir of the Holy Roman Emperor (or the title of an Emperor who had not yet been crowned by the Pope, until Maximilain I changed that)

That would be the best thing but do not worry… If you are only marginally interested on the Holy Roman Empire is understandable who you had not caught who the King of the Romans was the title of the elected heir of the Holy Roman Emperor (or the title of an Emperor who had not yet been crowned by the Pope)
I thought it was the title of the designated successor of the emperor, whom also had to be elected as emperor. For my reasoning there was two elections in this process:

1-Get elected King of the Romans (designated successor, and the most favoured candidate for next emperor)
2-Imperial election to become the next emperor, even if you are the designated heir, you still need an election.

To be fair, most of my knowledge comes from the imperial election of 1519, one that was both unusual and rather intense. On the other hand, the HRE will remain on the fringes on this TL, so we're not gonna go to deep into imperial shenanigans.

Okay, so serious question about Spain right now. How does the kingdom develop a stronger middle class and a manufacturing base? From what I understand they lost a lot of them when the jews were expelled. I plan on Juan having major road contruction projects, but I need more help. Anybody?

I know I'm late on providing assistance here, but here's a few ideas:

Spain's agriculture (and therefore its ability to feed itself) suffered due to the dominance of the wool trade. However, this trend is more or less inevitable due to the profitability of merino wool, and Spain would be foolish to try and restrict one of its most lucrative native industries, not to mention Spain doesn't really have the means to feed itself at this time regardless of royal intervention (although royally-funded irrigation projects and royal subsidization of farming in general would help a lot).

Trying to cut out the middle man in the wool trade - the wool dyers amd textile manufacturers in the Netherlands and Northern Italy - is therefore essential to bolstering Spain's middle class and giving it a mechanical industry which it can build off of. A more industrious native textile industry means more river-based facilities for manufacturing, which in turn might provide the necessary incentive to dredge the Guadalquivir and Tagus - both of which were projects that were considered OTL but ultimately failed due to lack of capital and interest.

Inducing Flemish textile makers and other artisans to resettle in Castile was also a real policy pursued by Isabel I, and as far as I know it was fairly successful and improved the industries of Spain's northern coast. Not selling off the rights to some of Spain's natural resources and sources of revenue is also a good start, as there were plenty of vigorous native merchant families in the cities of Castilla la Vieja in the 16th century.

Spain does, however, face one problem that is harder to fix. IOTL the Spanish colonies in the Americas were closed to foreign shipping in order to force them to do all their business with Spain Proper and therefore enrich Spain's native industries. However, Spain simply did not have the labor pool or resources necessary to meet all of its colonies' needs. With exclusive rights to the American markets, Spanish producers enjoyed a monopoly of sorts and consequently didn't have to pay much heed to quality control, weakening the desirability of Spanish goods elsewhere. The cost of shipping and the insufficient supply also caused the prices of Spanish goods to be much higher in the Americas than they were in Spain, encouraging Spanish producers to sell their goods to the colonies and neglect Spain's domestic market, driving up prices and lowering supply in the Iberian Peninsula as well. All of this meant that the Spanish domestic market preferred imported foreign goods, the Spanish colonial market was rife with black market activity, and the native industries of Spain languished and lost their vigor.

In short, Spain needs to be mercantilist enough to make sure as much manufacturing and money trading as possible can take place at home, but also free trade-oriented enough to allow for a healthy level of foreign competition and to let the Spanish colonies develop some of their own industries to complement Spain's rather than be a drain on them.

I'm so happy that you came @Torbald! I actually went back in your Miguel TL and researched some of this. And notised to my great shame that I was a mean snapping turtle in the first chapters. Sorry about that.
I'll definitely will take your advise regarding Spain and making it more a prosperous realm.

I'm so happy that you came @Torbald! I actually went back in your Miguel TL and researched some of this. And notised to my great shame that I was a mean snapping turtle in the first chapters. Sorry about that.
I'll definitely will take your advise regarding Spain and making it more a prosperous realm.

Lol don't worry about it, it's a subject we both care a lot about after all