WIP Map Thread

View attachment 896274
Do you guys think the name of the factions could work? Or do they sound stupid in English?
The faction names sound fine, and this seems like an interesting scenario! I'd recommend revising the borders you've drawn though - they're pretty sloppy, especially compared to the borders that weren't changed in this map. Two main notes would be that the border color is a very dark gray rather than black (which is the color for coastlines), and generally borders should only be one pixel thick, particularly when they change direction. I'm not sure how to really explain that, so I'd just recommend looking at how other mapmakers here draw borders for WorldA and follow that example.

To be crystal clear I'm not saying any of this to discourage you, since this seems like a really cool project you have, I'm just offering some advice for how you can improve your mapmaking skills going forward.

The faction names sound fine, and this seems like an interesting scenario! I'd recommend revising the borders you've drawn though - they're pretty sloppy, especially compared to the borders that weren't changed in this map. Two main notes would be that the border color is a very dark gray rather than black (which is the color for coastlines), and generally borders should only be one pixel thick, particularly when they change direction. I'm not sure how to really explain that, so I'd just recommend looking at how other mapmakers here draw borders for WorldA and follow that example.

To be crystal clear I'm not saying any of this to discourage you, since this seems like a really cool project you have, I'm just offering some advice for how you can improve your mapmaking skills going forward.
No offence. Thanks for the help

Who owns Malaya and Somalia/ Kenya? I can't tell if they're German or Mexican tbh
1. Kenya/East Africa is a Russian ally. Former British and Prussian settlers put aside their differences as their nations ceased to exist. Very racist.

2. Malaya is a work in progress

1. Kenya/East Africa is a Russian ally. Former British and Prussian settlers put aside their differences as their nations ceased to exist. Very racist.

2. Malaya is a work in progress
Somalia owns most of Kenya on your map so is it a German colony or a Mexican one?

1815 4.png

I apologise if I am pestering the thread too much. Could the borders work now?

I changed the borders' colors and made them thininnier. Also I changed the colonial situation in Africa as a lot of the previous stuff didn't made sense with the backstory I am working on. At least Sokoto and Bornu are getting featured in this alternate TL.

Low-ey considering central Africa blank to showcase the anarchy in the area

View attachment 897054
I apologise if I am pestering the thread too much. Could the borders work now?

I changed the borders' colors and made them thininnier. Also I changed the colonial situation in Africa as a lot of the previous stuff didn't made sense with the backstory I am working on. At least Sokoto and Bornu are getting featured in this alternate TL.

Low-ey considering central Africa blank to showcase the anarchy in the area
Still a lot of stylistically fuzzy border lines but other than that minor eyesore I've no complaints about your progress :) (not that I meant anything said thus far as complaints anyway lol)

Thanks. What borders should I change/improve?
Well I would thin out the lines of the internal political borders as well: if you are perhaps interested in looking at the maps I have created many moons ago my signature links to my dA account and you will be able to easily see my personal preferences for drawing borders (which I don't think is a special thing at all since I developed my 'style' from observing cartography trends here and on that site).

1815 5.png

Last one before I add the notes. Hopefully the borders are decent now and the color is ok.

I extended the FSA to showcase the later territorial loses of the US (also to add a Noè about Ohio changing name) + Recreated Greater France for narrative purposes.

Unfortunately my Microsoft Paint doesn't have the option of turning off the anti-alias.

View attachment 897617

Last one before I add the notes. Hopefully the borders are decent now and the color is ok.

I extended the FSA to showcase the later territorial loses of the US (also to add a Noè about Ohio changing name) + Recreated Greater France for narrative purposes.

Unfortunately my Microsoft Paint doesn't have the option of turning off the anti-alias.
What is 'anti-alias'?

Also why name the alliance of Japan, Siam, and China the 'Atlantic Axis' when they don't touch the Atlantic Ocean whatsoever? Tripartite Axis may be a better name unless you are aware of another definition of Atlantic that I'm just ignorant of.

Last edited:
What is 'anti-alias'?
Apparently a system to made writing on Paint easier to read
Also why name the alliance of Japan, Siam, and China the 'Atlantic Axis' when they don't touch the Atlantic Ocean whatsoever? Tripartite Axis may be a better name unless you are aware of another definition of Atlantic that I'm just ignorant of.
My bad, it was supposed to be the Pacific Axis. I mixed up and didn't notice

My anti-LTTW

IMG_1749.jpeg

The British-American empire dominates the world
Protectorates (light pink)
Viceroyalties (client states) - off red (not Russian red)
Dominions
And through subsidiary entities with their own clients
  • Germany
  • Japan
  • Italy
  • Brazil
  • Greece (the New Hellenic Republic)
  • India
  • The Holy Land (like Turtledove’s Worldwar, is both Jewish- and European Christian-settled)

Last edited:
How do people figure out borders and the amount of settlement spread in ISOT map scenarios? I’ve got a few I’m fiddling around with, but it’s hard to tell exactly how much a given country would expand based on its population, economic situation, etc. Many of the maps I’ve seen look plausible, so I’m wondering how to get to that point where it seems logical and not just map painting.

How do people figure out borders and the amount of settlement spread in ISOT map scenarios? I’ve got a few I’m fiddling around with, but it’s hard to tell exactly how much a given country would expand based on its population, economic situation, etc. Many of the maps I’ve seen look plausible, so I’m wondering how to get to that point where it seems logical and not just map painting.
Natural boundaries, population lines, something along the line.

It may be a bit overcomplicated, but my default is to overlay OTL population distribution and biome maps for surrounding regions, cross-reference that against the ISOTed nation's population and natural resources statistics (specifically natural resources they'd be lacking that would be available in surrounding regions), and then just sort of play it by ear from there.

It may be a bit overcomplicated, but my default is to overlay OTL population distribution and biome maps for surrounding regions, cross-reference that against the ISOTed nation's population and natural resources statistics (specifically natural resources they'd be lacking that would be available in surrounding regions), and then just sort of play it by ear from there.
*looks at this logical strategy*
*thinks back to her ISOT early days and shudders at how she just winged it*